The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Ala. Congressman Griffith switching party affiliation

Default Ala. Congressman Griffith switching party affiliation

I don't know that much about him, since he's a first-term Congressman, but find it interesting that as a doctor, he's so offended by ObomaCare he's switching to the GOP.

Before you liberals screech shrilly that he was a Democrat in name only, or a "blue dog" Democrat.... a bit of history. There used to be a good number of conservative Democrat Congressmen and Senators especially from Southern states, that were fiscally responsible, ahem, conservative. Their numbers seem to be dwindling.

It wasn't so long ago that many Southern conservatives had a hard time voting for any Republican, since they were the carpetbaggers and reconstructionists. Even I can remember when I worked at the State Dept., where most career FSOs were very liberal one-worlders and trilateral pimps, many Southern democrats were the staunchest supporters of the military and Reagan foreign policy and much more conservative than many Republicans. The Republicans still have their "moderates" (liberals) but it seems the Democrats have few if any fiscal conservatives remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    I don't know that much about him, since he's a first-term Congressman, but find it interesting that as a doctor, he's so offended by ObomaCare he's switching to the GOP.

Before you liberals screech shrilly that he was a Democrat in name only, or a "blue dog" Democrat.... a bit of history. There used to be a good number of conservative Democrat Congressmen and Senators especially from Southern states, that were fiscally responsible, ahem, conservative. Their numbers seem to be dwindling.

It wasn't so long ago that many Southern conservatives had a hard time voting for any Republican, since they were the carpetbaggers and reconstructionists. Even I can remember when I worked at the State Dept., where most career FSOs were very liberal one-worlders and trilateral pimps, many Southern democrats were the staunchest supporters of the military and Reagan foreign policy and much more conservative than many Republicans. The Republicans still have their "moderates" (liberals) but it seems the Democrats have few if any fiscal conservatives remaining.
    good for him! I don't think he will be the last. 2010 elections can't come soon enough...
    Bill Davis

Unlike Republicans, who seem to be campaigning for ideological purity and chasing out their moderates, I had no problem with having a conservative Democrat. He chose to leave when he found himself voting with Republicans on almost e every key vote. I respect his choice and now it is up to his constituents whether or not they wish to retain him as a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Unlike Republicans, who seem to be campaigning for ideological purity and chasing out their moderates, I had no problem with having a conservative Democrat. He chose to leave when he found himself voting with Republicans on almost e every key vote. I respect his choice and now it is up to his constituents whether or not they wish to retain him as a Republican.
    Think Joe Lieberman. chased out of the democrat party and he was acceptable enough to be the democrat vice presidential nominee not long ago. So who here is being disingenuous Jeff?
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post

Ah yes Julie, Yellowdog Democrats. Those days are long gone in Alabama. A Democrat can't hardly win a statewide race anymore, and I am sure this fellow has determined that his political future is brighter without the Democrat label.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Think Joe Lieberman. chased out of the democrat party and he was acceptable enough to be the democrat vice presidential nominee not long ago. So who here is being disingenuous Jeff?
    Joe Lieberman lost the Democratic primary in his own state despite support from the national party leadership as well as lots of national party financial support. Following the primary, the Democratic leadership nationally did nothing to support the Democratic candidate against him and made it clear that Joe would be accepted back into the Democratic caucus. When Joe decided to support McCain for President, he was still accepted back into the Democratic caucus even though his vote did not appear to be very important at the time. Even now he caucuses as a Democrat and voted with Democrats on health care votes. There are many in the party that would like to see him stripped of his committee chairmanship based on the positions he has taken, but the leadership to date has refused any such move. It may happen in the future, but it is pretty clear that if he leaves, it will be because he walked out, not because he was thrown out.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Following the primary, the Democratic leadership nationally did nothing to support the Democratic candidate against him...
    Not true...
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Not true...
    Lamont received formal endorsements from Democratic leaders, as would be expected after winning the primary. What he didn;t receive were the high level visits by Democratic leaders or, as far as I know, the type of financial support that would normlly be allocated in a close election. He financed his campaign almost entirely with his own money and had significantly less money than Lieberman, who had received support from Democratic groups during the primary.

I could cite many democrat leaders that supported Lamont including Jimmy Carter. I could also find many democrat leaders that supported Lieberman. The facts are democrats voted for Lamont during the election. A small block of democrats voted for Lieberman during the election. He won because of Independent and Republican support. He was run out of the democrat party because there isn’t room for a hawk (you know, ideological purity) in the democrat party any more.

Enough with your revisionist history and holier than thou attitude. Believing that somehow those that populate the democrat party are above such pettiness is pretty silly given the evidence.

Bunch of hypocritical phonies...
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Article [II.]

He is our Congressman and well respected by those who he represents. He will do well in 2010 it will be interesting to see if anyone runs against him in either the primary or general election. Bud Cramer who he replaced ran unopposed his last two terms.