The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Oil Refineries

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    No, Roger, it won't...it will cause the companies that own those refineries to incur less expense and therefore make more profit.

Why won't the current administration work toward lessening our dependence on fossil fuels? The price of gas affects ALL of us EVERY DAY....is our current leadership so myopic that they can only work on one major campaign promise at a time?

CURRENT administration, Roger...CURRENT....stay focused....

kg
    I don't recall gasoline selling for $5.00 per gallon in the past year have you?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    I don't recall gasoline selling for $5.00 per gallon in the past year have you?
    If you think that's to the credit of the current administration, I have some swamp land in Arizona I'd like for you to get top dollar for.... ......so, unless gas is $5 a gallon we don't have a problem?

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I do not know the party affiliations of most here.

I never missed a hunt test because of the cost of gas in France!!

When your party raise my taxes, I just raise the cost of my services to my clients!!

rk
    The only hunt test that I have run recently (except once in Orlando 2 hours drive) is the Treasure Coast Retriever Club. The closest field trial for me (except TCRC's first DQ) is the Jacksonville trial at 3 hours and almost 6 hours to the Thomasville Ga. area.

Banned

If you think that's to the credit of the current administration, I have some swamp land in Arizona I'd like for you to get top dollar for.... ......so, unless gas is $5 a gallon we don't have a problem?

kg
    No, I never gave credit to the current administration for the price of gas. it is what it is.

kg
    Given that the drop in production is primarily a result of the recession, I would agree that the present administration had nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    No, I never gave credit to the current administration for the price of gas. it is what it is.
    If "it is what it is," then you didn't mind paying $5 for it when Bush 43 was in charge either, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Given that the drop in production is primarily a result of the recession, I would agree that the present administration had nothing to do with it.
    The point is that NO administration has ANY control over the price of gas UNLESS they control the supply and production...we're not interested in further exploration or development of oil in places we have access to...and as soon as there is an "incident" in the middle east or that demagogue in Venezuela decides to nationalize any US company's interests there, gas will be $5 a gallon again...because we are doing NOTHING to lessen our dependence on what they produce.

Sounds like you're good with that, Jeff...you and Roger both....

kg
    Last edited by K G; 12-26-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

That's funny...I was more concerned about the spelling of demagogue....

Good catch!

kg

Exxon’s $40.6 billion profit in 2007 is roughly equal to receiving “$30 for every person in China and $132 for every U.S. resident.” Another way of looking at it is that Exxon made $77,245 per minute in 2007—that’s more money generated per minute than 70 percent of Americans earned all year, according to the Census Bureau.
    In perspective ... it would take 10 X $40.6 billion to pay for 5 years of the new health coverage proposals? Or, if there are 10 U.S. oil companies making such profits, it would take all of their profits to be directed to the health care proposals.

Exxon made $77,245 per minute in 2007—that’s more money generated per minute than 70 percent of Americans earned all year, according to the Census Bureau.
    Whew! Anybody want to do the math on how much the new health care proposals will cost on a per minute basis? I'm glad you called our attention to these numbers, Roger.

The “finding” costs to explore and develop an oil field range from $5 per barrel in the Middle East to $67 per barrel off of the U.S. coast.
    As long as we are dependent on petroleum products, that is the price we pay. And this may demonstrate why have become so dependent on Mid-East oil rather than our own.

I do believe that the oil companies pay a lot of taxes on that income as well? Or am I wrong on that? I'm sure there are plenty of "deductions" on their tax returns, but at the bottom line, do they pay taxes or just get refunds?

So when the market price jumps due to speculators, political unrest, supply disruption, or other similar events, it is a windfall for the oil company.
    Wasn't there a "windfall" tax imposed on the oil companies as well? Builders did the same thing during the housing boom. Now when the large builders have fallen on hard times, tax breaks for them have been proposed (though not for the "small" builders).

If the oil companies were manipulating the "speculators", then it would appear there would be reason for prosecution. OTOH, if the speculators are acting independently, isn't that the way the free market operates?

I believe that the article mentioned that some of the refineries are owned by oil companies, but not all.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Great post, Gerry....but making "sense" of "cents" has never been of much interest to Roger.... .....whatever is "wrong" was/is/shall always be Bush 43's fault....

kg

I actually don't believe in corporate income taxes for anyone, but do not understand why oil companies receive tax incentives not enjoyed by other industries. I also do not understand why oil companies are allowed to get away with not paying required royalites on oil taken from public lands. Why should the taxpayer be giving that oil to oil companies for less than market value especially when much of that oil is then sold overseas.