Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iran & Nuclear Enrichment

Default Iran & Nuclear Enrichment

http://www.nytimes.com:80/2009/12/24...html?th&emc=th
    NY Times
    "There's Only One Way to Stop Iran"

An op-ed piece in the NY Times that criiticizes O's approach to the Iran/nuclear issue. Not what I would expect to see in the NY Times, i.e. advocating a military solution.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I was surprised to read this too, and even that last bastion of One-World love, the Washington Post, has been critical of his no nukes policy. Sorry, but "Let's get rid of all nukes, we'll go first" just isn't gonna cut it. Not when certain Muslim countries have been globe trotting for decades begging, borrowing, buying and stealing plutonium enrichment technology.

From the NY Times article:
    PRESIDENT OBAMA should not lament but sigh in relief that Iran has rejected his nuclear deal, which was ill conceived from the start....

This raises a question: if the deal would have aided Iranís bomb program, why did the United States propose it, and Iran reject it? The main explanation on both sides is domestic politics. President Obama wanted to blunt Republican criticism that his multilateral approach was failing to stem Iranís nuclear program.

The deal would have permitted him to claim, for a year or so, that he had defused the crisis by depriving Iran of sufficient enriched uranium to start a crash program to build one bomb.

But in reality no one ever expected Iran to do that, because such a headlong sprint is the one step most likely to provoke an international military response that could cripple the bomb program before it reaches fruition. Iran is far more likely to engage in ďsalami slicingĒ ó a series of violations each too small to provoke retaliation, but that together will give it a nuclear arsenal. ...

Tehranís rejection of the original proposal is revealing. It shows that Iran, for domestic political reasons, cannot make even temporary concessions on its bomb program, regardless of incentives or sanctions. Since peaceful carrots and sticks cannot work, and an invasion would be foolhardy, the United States faces a stark choice: military air strikes against Iranís nuclear facilities or acquiescence to Iranís acquisition of nuclear weapons.
    Too bad we've become a nation of pantywaists. Bomb them back to the stone age!

Of course, it won't happen because this administration is more interested in muzzie coddling than national security.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    I was surprised to read this too, and even that last bastion of One-World love, the Washington Post, has been critical of his no nukes policy. Sorry, but "Let's get rid of all nukes, we'll go first" just isn't gonna cut it. Not when certain Muslim countries have been globe trotting for decades begging, borrowing, buying and stealing plutonium enrichment technology.

From the NY Times article:

Too bad we've become a nation of pantywaists. Bomb them back to the stone age!

Of course, it won't happen because this administration is more interested in muzzie coddling than national security.
    So you are suggesting we should start a 3rd war? Our military are too strapped now. No wonder the Mayan calendar stops at December 21 2012.
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 12-24-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Were you around in '86, Roger? Recall a 'few' bombers dropping a little reminder on Moammar Kadafi that his activities were under scrutiny, and no longer enjoyed by the west? Were you shivering in your booties that we might be entering WW 3 then?

Get real! These tin horn dictators are as cowardly as you are, and I don't see you advocating any war, just blowing your horn about how you perceive not being treated as fairly as your neighbor.

Unlike Kadafi, you are under the radar, except for the few conservatives that populate this BB, so you can continue your cowardly views. Someone ELSE will keep you protected, despite your bitching about how that's done.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    Were you around in '86, Roger? Recall a 'few' bombers dropping a little reminder on Moammar Kadafi that his activities were under scrutiny, and no longer enjoyed by the west? Were you shivering in your booties that we might be entering WW 3 then?

Get real! These tin horn dictators are as cowardly as you are, and I don't see you advocating any war, just blowing your horn about how you perceive not being treated as fairly as your neighbor.

Unlike Kadafi, you are under the radar, except for the few conservatives that populate this BB, so you can continue your cowardly views. Someone ELSE will keep you protected, despite your bitching about how that's done.

UB
    Unbelievable, now I'm being called a coward because I do not advocate going to war at a drop of a hat. Don't you think Iran's pal's (Russia and China) could do a little more to put some pressure on Iran to get them to give up their Nuclear ambitions? If Russia and China were to put sanctions on buying oil from Iran, Iran would cave in real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Unbelievable, now I'm being called a coward because I do not advocate going to war at a drop of a hat. Don't you think Iran's pal's (Russia and China) could do a little more to put some pressure on Iran to get them to give up their Nuclear ambitions? If Russia and China were to put sanctions on buying oil from Iran, Iran would cave in real quick.
    And how is that working out for us so far?
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Part of what makes Nuclear options scary is the implied threat of using those nuclear options...that was all and good when we had them all to ourselves, but everyone has a nuke..its called brinksmanship and whoever blinks first or has that wild eyed crazy look gets it first. but once you unleash the hounds you cant call them back

flattening Iran back to the Dark Ages may sound great and well deserved, but as hawkish as I am I am not willing to eliminate a whole generation of people because they are led by a certified nut case or three..

Sanctions with teeth and drilling and refinement of domestic oil..we made the Middle East zillionaires but the American public has to decide if it has the guts to change their ways and bring it back home...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

So you are suggesting we should start a 3rd war?
    It is the NY Times opinion piece that is suggesting there is no alternative other than air strikes against Iran.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

If I were the leadership of Iran I would welcome a unilateral American airstrike. My current internal political problems would disappear in a second and Arab and Asian countries that now provide at best lukewarm support would rally to my defense. I would receive increased Russian and Chinese aid. European countries that are now pressuring for concessions would back off in many cases to avoid being dragged into another lengthy conflict precipitated by unilateral US action. And through it all, I would rest safe knowing that US forces are already overextended and represent no short or medium term threat.

Jeff, I think that your assessment is accurate.

I think we need a better mind to handle the situation than the writer of that opinion piece ... and apparently better than what we've got in Washington as well.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com