The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Refineries

Default Oil Refineries

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/24/bu...html?th&emc=th
    NY Times

Interesting ... conservation measures & recession have contributed to decrease in gasoline usage; which is resulting in closing more oil refineries; which is believed will result in our importing more gasoline from refineries that can do the refining more cheaply.

Uh ... I thought the idea of all this conservation & alternative fuels was to make the US more independent of importing fuels?

Is this yet another instance where beaurocratic geniuses failed to anticipate the consequences of their "plan"?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/24/bu...html?th&emc=th
    NY Times

Is this yet another instance where beaurocratic geniuses failed to anticipate the consequences of their "plan"?
    Oh no! Say it ain't so!

Ever since I read a book on chaos mathematic theory, I realize that large scale economies are chaotic. In retrospect, you can often see order within that chaos, but trying to prospectively predict consequences of our actions is uttery impossible!

Merry Christmas,
    Dave
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

From an environmental perspective, it is highly desirable to see reductions in consumption of both refined gasoline and unrefined oil. As that happens, prices and profits will drop and the most expensive sources will be abandoned in the short term. Obviously those receiving their profits largely through high consumption will lose as part of this process. Those selling alternative fuels and those hoping for the future of our grandchildren and great grandchildren will gain. What is unanticipated or undesirable about that?

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    From an environmental perspective, it is highly desirable to see reductions in consumption of both refined gasoline and unrefined oil. As that happens, prices and profits will drop and the most expensive sources will be abandoned in the short term. Obviously those receiving their profits largely through high consumption will lose as part of this process. Those selling alternative fuels and those hoping for the future of our grandchildren and great grandchildren will gain. What is unanticipated or undesirable about that?
    That it is short-term, Jeff.

Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it regards,

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    That it is short-term, Jeff.

Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it regards,

kg
    Keith,

Not sure I understand your point.

Are you saying that the reduction in consumption is short term (as I suspect) or that the decommissioning of some refineries is short term (which I also suspect)? The more expensive refineries and oil fields are not worth exploiting if prices fall below break even levels. If/when prices rise again, they will be brought back into production. Are you suggesting that declines in consumption are harmful for some reason?

Keith,

Not sure I understand your point.

Are you saying that the reduction in consumption is short term (as I suspect) or that the decommissioning of some refineries is short term (which I also suspect)? The more expensive refineries and oil fields are not worth exploiting if prices fall below break even levels. If/when prices rise again, they will be brought back into production. Are you suggesting that declines in consumption are harmful for some reason?
    Declines in American JOBS are harmful to America.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Declines in American JOBS are harmful to America.
    You don't think that alternative energy sources produce jobs?

Always encouraging to see that "hope & change" working for some of you leftist loonies.

How many jobs has that "industry" produced? As the EPL of this BB, I'm sure you have those figures on the tip of your tongue, or did that accidently get cut off while falling on the sword for your messiah?

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Not in America.

/paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Not in America.

/paul
    Actually, it seems to me to be the other way around. Oil production and refining currently produce more jobs in other countries than in the US. Wind power, solar power, geothermal, etc., and the costs of extending and modernizing the power grid to support energy transmission around the country would primarily generate jobs in the US.