The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Fellow Travelers"

Default "Fellow Travelers"

Do any of you remember the term??

Do we have any "Fellow Travelers" for terrorists, Al Queada, Jihadist Muslims today??

Just askin'.......rhetorical question.

rk
    Stan b & Elvis

If we define fellow travelers as those who hate America's freedoms and do all they can to undermine them, then Senator Joe McCarthy and his friends from HUAC would certainly head my list. Today, if I were to look for the comparable fellow travelers, I would look to our own version of Christian "Jihadists", those who seek some form of holy war against Islam.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    If we define fellow travelers as those who hate America's freedoms and do all they can to undermine them, then Senator Joe McCarthy and his friends from HUAC would certainly head my list. Today, if I were to look for the comparable fellow travelers, I would look to our own version of Christian "Jihadists", those who seek some form of holy war against Islam.
    I am shocked that one as highly educated as you would not know the origins of the phrase.

For reference, McCarthy did not coin the phrase.
    ("The term fellow traveler or fellow traveller (see American and British English spelling differences) refers to a person who sympathizes with the beliefs of an organization or cooperates in its activities without maintaining formal membership in that particular group.")
    It appears it was a term coined during the early Russian revolution.
    But then you knew that and hoped that I didn't.

And you danced around the question........as I expected.

Anyone care to answer the question??

rk
    Stan b & Elvis

I know the source and meaning of the phrase well, and I also know where in our history it had its most vicious use. McCarthyism was one of the ugliest pieces of our national heritage. There are those who would like nothing better than to drag us back into that same mud again. In my personal opinion, such people represent the antithesis of all that has made America great.

I know the source and meaning of the phrase well, and I also know where in our history it had its most vicious use. McCarthyism was one of the ugliest pieces of our national heritage. There are those who would like nothing better than to drag us back into that same mud again. In my personal opinion, such people represent the antithesis of all that has made America great.
    And, by definition, there may well be some who are "Fellow Travelers."

Aren't there?

rk
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    And, by definition, there may well be some who are "Fellow Travelers."

Aren't there?

rk
    Look under your bed for the answer. I bet there is nothing but moldy cheese curds there.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

I feel sad for you! Your vision of the world is completely distorted and obscene.

Quote Originally Posted by code3retrievers View Post
    I feel sad for you! Your vision of the world is completely distorted and obscene.
    About McCarthy or about Muslim and Christian radicals that think holy wars make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Look under your bed for the answer. I bet there is nothing but moldy cheese curds there.
    Classy, very classy!!

But I expected nothing less!!

Still......no answer to the question.

rk
    Last edited by road kill; 12-30-2009 at 07:20 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

Still......no answer.

rk
    I think those in the Soviet Union who still cling to Cold War mentality probably do not shed a tear when the US falls victim to terror. There are many who would consider Saudi Arabia a "fellow traveller", although I would tend to place them as full-fledged participants, since they wrote the checks for much of the terror networks. I'm sure I just got put on a list somewhere with that comment.

Is that what you were looking for?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!