The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Global warming? Not in NC

Default Global warming? Not in NC

Special weather advisory!
    Note the historical cold spell!

.. A PROLONGED PERIOD OF VERY COLD AIR TO AFFECT THE REGION BEGINNING TONIGHT... LIKELY LASTING FOR A WEEK OR MORE...
    A VERY COLD ARCTIC AIR MASS WILL SURGE INTO NORTHWEST NORTH CAROLINA TONIGHT... WITH INTENSE COLD EXPECTED THROUGH THE WEEKEND. LOWS BY SATURDAY MORNING WILL FALL TO AROUND 20 DEGREES. THIS WILL BE ACCOMPANIED BY GUSTY NORTHWEST WINDS TO 20 MPH. WIND CHILL READINGS WILL DIP TO AS LOW AS 5 TO 10 DEGREES SATURDAY MORNING. THE TEMPERATURES MAY REMAIN BELOW FREEZING FOR SEVERAL DAYS WITH OVERNIGHT LOWS IN THE TEENS SUNDAY INTO TUESDAY.
    THE EXPECTED DURATION AND INTENSITY OF THIS COLD EVENT WILL BE A VERY UNUSUAL OCCURRENCE. THIS INTENSE COLD EVENT WILL BE NEARLY CONTINUOUSLY REINFORCED BY A COUPLE OF VERY STRONG ARCTIC HIGHS. THESE HIGHS WILL PUSH FROM NORTH CENTRAL CANADA SOUTHWARD THROUGH THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN UNITED STATES DURING THE NEXT WEEK. THIS COLD EVENT WILL LIKELY LAST THROUGH THE NEXT 7... TO POSSIBLY 14 DAYS... IN WHICH LOWS WILL FREQUENTLY FALL INTO THE TEENS. HIGHS SHOULD ONLY REACH INTO THE LOWER TO MID 30S... ENSURING MANY HOURS OF SUBFREEZING TEMPERATURES. A COMPARABLE COLD SPELL BASED ON SOME OF THE HISTORICAL COLD EPISODES FROM THE PAST INCLUDES THE LAST TWO WEEKS OF JANUARY 1977.
    PREPARATIONS SHOULD BE MADE NOW TO ENSURE THAT HEATING SYSTEMS ARE IN STRONG WORKING ORDER... ANY EXPOSED PIPES ARE PROPERLY INSULATED OR COVERED... AND CRAWL SPACE VENTS ARE CLOSED. CHECK ON THE ELDERLY TO ENSURE THAT THEY HAVE ADEQUATE AND SAFE HEATING. IN ADDITION... REMEMBER THE SAFETY RULES FOR SAFE HOME HEATING. ENSURE YOUR PETS HAVE A WARM PLACE TO STAY.

Looking at a two week weather situation and applying that to global climate change is like Warren Buffett finding a nickel in his sofa cushion and thinking that affects his financial situation on Wall Street.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

AS I'm freezing and my environmentaly friendly heat system just can't cut it when it gets this cold, they can well you know!
    Firing up the woodstove to boost that dumb heat pump.
    Oil or propane heat will be installed before next winter!

Al GORE and his lying buddies can kiss my butt!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    AS I'm freezing and my environmentaly friendly heat system just can't cut it when it gets this cold, they can well you know!
    Firing up the woodstove to boost that dumb heat pump.
    Oil or propane heat will be installed before next winter!

Al GORE and his lying buddies can kiss my butt!!!!
    I don't know who sold you a heat pump with those expectations, but they need a lesson in HVAC! Heat pumps are primarily best for cooling, but do provide heat as well when reversed. They are not a stand-alone heat source, nor the they have rapid response times to changing conditions. Up here (19F now, and not going above 25F for at least a week) the heat pumps run continuously in the background to help decrease the amount of wood or propane you burn. I have an ultra-high efficiency propane boiler and spend about $350 per month heating the house when it's cold outside. My neighbor has the same boiler, and a heat pump running and spends about $50 in propane. The heat pump also uses a minimal amount of electricity to run no doubt, but he estimates his entire heating bill runs ~80/month. Essentially, I spend in one month, what he spends all winter.

Certainly saves energy dollars, but has a pretty high start up cost. With those numbers, I'd be looking easily over 10 years to break even. If propane doubles in price, I'll be reconsidering.

Also, where it can be 70 degrees all week, then hit single digits on Saturday, you'll be waiting like a popcicle until about Tuesday for the Heat pump to warm a decent sized home. They are not stand alone heaters, unless the technology has advanced since we researched one 3 years ago.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Standard heating system here in central NC. Coming from up north I really don't get it.
    They worry more about cooling in the summer vs heating in the winter. Around here people put the ac on at 80, but we love summer and don't turn in on until it is at least 90.
    At this point I wish I had good old fashioned base board electric heat. At least it works.
    HUbby out of town and I am not amused at hauling firewood when the power is on!!!

HUbby out of town and I am not amused at hauling firewood when the power is on!!!
    At least you don't have to haul it through 2' of snow!

As I leave my warm home and start my truck, I think of my grandfather, who in order to do the same thing, had to shovel coal into the funrace twice daily, then carry his car battery and tub of oil out to the car and put them both in, to get it started. Then drain the oil when it's still warm, and carry it and the batter in and set them next to the furnace. Right before shovelling more coal.

And what's funny, is he told stories of how easy HE has it compared to his parents, who had to draw water from a well and other things that we typically push a button or turn a knob for. I wonder if our kids or grandkids will tell of how rough WE had it!? I doubt it.

Born in Scotland and although I was young when we moved to the US I know all about heat being a coal fire.
    We can bitch about some things but in other things it is easier, like mass transit.
    Funny you mention water. My mom has bitched for more than 30 years about having well water,after having city water but coal fireplace for heat. I had city water a few times and bitched about it vs well water.
    She is in her 70's and would trade her heat source for city water,while I will suffer thru any cold weather heat issues in order to keep my well water and avoid disgusting city water. When I lived the next town over from her I hauled all my drinking water for humans and dogs from her house to mine. I wanted my well water and would not drink nor give my dog the city crap.

Standard heating system here in central NC. Coming from up north I really don't get it.
    They worry more about cooling in the summer vs heating in the winter. Around here people put the ac on at 80, but we love summer and don't turn in on until it is at least 90.
    At this point I wish I had good old fashioned base board electric heat. At least it works.

Just curious, but have you no source for buying a couple of space heaters? They are quite inexpensive, and can be plugged in any room, or if you invest in enough of them, can heat all your rooms without moving them.

They come with individual thermostats, so you can set them and forget them. (Hope I don't have to pay Ron Popeil copyright fees for that phrase.)

You can get some real purtty ones, or you can get the ones that work best, usually called "milk room heaters".

Check out Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, or even Wally World.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    Just curious, but have you no source for buying a couple of space heaters? They are quite inexpensive, and can be plugged in any room, or if you invest in enough of them, can heat all your rooms without moving them.

They come with individual thermostats, so you can set them and forget them. (Hope I don't have to pay Ron Popeil copyright fees for that phrase.)

You can get some real purtty ones, or you can get the ones that work best, usually called "milk room heaters".

Check out Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, or even Wally World.

UB
    Actually I totally forgot about the ceramic space heaters we have stored away in the garage! We bought them when our great propane furnance died for a few days when we lived in VA. Those things rock! Going to go dig thru the boxes that have been stored for the last 9 years!!!!
    Thanks!!!!!!