The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INTERPOL trumps the US Constitution?

Default INTERPOL trumps the US Constitution?

You decide...

http://www.examiner.com/x-27672-Port...m-American-law

Way to go, BHO....

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

I'd like to see this explained a bit more fully than this. Sometimes a series of articles will become their own source and it all becomes a bit circular.

INTERPOL is first of all a clearinghouse for law enforcement information. When did they acquire the right to arrest or the agents to effect arrests?

Eric

You can find the text of the International Organizations Immunities Act at http://www.ipu.org/finance-e/PL79-291.pdf. c applies to all international organizations of which the US is a part by treaty or law subject to decisions that may restrict these privileges at the discretion of the President. Reagan included such an exception in his 1983 executive order. Interpol has no arrest authority of which I am aware, although it may seek extradition of a wanted criminal in accordance with whatever extradition agreements may exist with a member country. This is also true of any country with which we have extradition agreements. The notion that the US government can protect the confidentiality of records by turning them over to Interpol is ridiculous on its face. We could do that now by sending them to the British embassy which would probably be much more willing to cooperate. That would still not prevent a subpoena fro being issued against the US government for delivery of the records any more than stashing prisoners in Guantanamo made them exempt from oversight by US Courts.

The more interesting question is why Reagan created the exception to begin with. I suspect that he would not be too happy if FBI records concerning active investigations could be obtained through FOIA requests by the subjects of investigation. It's is equally hard to understand why we would want active case records fro Interpol concerning, for example, cases of international terrorism, to be subject to FOIA requests by the people under investigation. Fortunately, I do not think FOIA requests apply to foreign governmental entities anyway.

How does any of this "trump" the US Constitution?

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    The article states, erroneously, that:

"This international police force (whose U.S. headquarters is in the Justice Department in Washington) will be unrestrained by the U.S. Constitution and American law while it operates in the United States and affects both Americans and American interests outside the United States."

In fact, the Interpol member country agreement prohibits Interpol from acting other than in accordance with the laws of the country in whic they are operating. You can see details of Interpol's structure and agreements at http://www.interpol.int and from The Police Chief (Association of Chiefs of Police) about the relationship with Interpol at http://policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_arch&article_id=1914& issue_id=102009.

So are you satisfied that you know everything there is to know about BHO's revision to Reagan's executive order and how it will affect us?

kg

So are you satisfied that you know everything there is to know about BHO's revision to Reagan's executive order and how it will affect us?

kg
    I'm satisfied that I read the executive order, read the underlying law extending protection to the records of international organizations that has been in effect since 1945, and satisfied that, as a matter of law, that no treaty or law can "trump" the US Constitution as you imply. I haven't discussed the EO with the President, so I can't say anything about his motives. However, given that the US is responsible for 20% of all "red" notices filed with Interpol in our efforts to track criminals and terrorists across internation boudaries, I suspect that we would not want to have its records subject to a form of discovery that would not be permitted with respect to our own police records.

kg
    Whatever credibility you had on POTUS PLACE just went to zero, KG. This "answer" doesn't even remotely back up your accusations.

Sad.

You may recognize the above passage. I only substituted the name to render it more accurate. It was directed at the person who just unveiled your attempt to stir up fear using "dubious" facts.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

I recognize it alright. It's what I would expect from you.

That's the only way you lefties know how to roll, dnf....didn't stop him, won't stop me... I don't pretend to know everything about everything...BIG difference! I also don't throw out random accusations of my own creation indicting anyone who ever said anything negative about Islamic extremists as a Christian terrorist...

Backatcha regards,

kg

I recognize it alright. It's what I would expect from you.

That's the only way you lefties know how to roll, dnf....didn't stop him, won't stop me... I don't pretend to know everything about everything...BIG difference! I also don't throw out random accusations of my own creation indicting anyone who ever said anything negative about Islamic extremists as a Christian terrorist...

Backatcha regards,

kg
    Actually, it sounds more like back at me.

I didn't reply to your credibility comment on the other thread since I couldn't even figure out what you were talking about. It sounds here like you are referencing "random accusations" by me to make up for the random non-facts with which you started this thread. I have tremendous respect for your understanding of AKC rules and competitive processes. Your assessments of comments made by others tends to be incisive and supported by the relevant source documents. I wish you would bring the same critical insight to the garbage you cited in this thread.

With respect to my "random accusations", I thought I was pretty clear.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    If we define fellow travelers as those who hate America's freedoms and do all they can to undermine them, then Senator Joe McCarthy and his friends from HUAC would certainly head my list. Today, if I were to look for the comparable fellow travelers, I would look to our own version of Christian "Jihadists", those who seek some form of holy war against Islam.
    I mentioned specific examples of people that I considered to be such hate mongers:
    • Jerry Falwell -- known for his descriptions of Muhammad as a pedophile and terrorist (CBS 60 minutes, 2002)
    • Pat Robertson -- Known for comments such as " Islam is not a religion. It is a worldwide political movement meant on domination of the world." (The 700 Club, 2009). He continued to say Muslims "want to take over and ... to impose Sharia on you. And before long, ladies are going to be dressed in burqas and whatever garments they would put on them, and next thing you know, men are going to be allowed to have wife-beating and you'll be beheading adulterers and so on and so forth."
    • Rick Santorum -- Known for regularly mocking the term "War on Terror" since the real war is a war on Islam. “They just happen to be Muslims?” he asked incredulously. “That’s false! It has everything to do with Islam,” (Comments at Stanford College, March 2009)
    In my mind these are the fellow travelers of hate in our country.

Your reply, at the end of the thread, was:

Whatever credibility you had on POTUS PLACE just went to zero, Jeff. This "answer" doesn't even remotely back up your accusations.

Sad.

kg
    I'm not sure what accusations or fact you were expecting. I believe the ones I presented are good samples of exactly what I was talking about. I only wish it were not so easy to find similarly bigoted and ignorant comments from so many people in leadership roles. Fortunately, neither Christians nor Muslims are monolithic. Few Christians would think to classify all who believe in evolution to be atheists, or classify the Teletubbies as some form of conspiracy to promote gay lifestyles. Similarly few Muslims expect their women to wear Burqas or their sons to become suicide bombers.