Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Global warming - a big, healthy dose of reality here:

Banned

Default Global warming - a big, healthy dose of reality here:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...k/6795858.html

this is by Dr. Neil Frank, a man well known and respected here in Houston:

Neil Frank, who holds a Ph.D. from Florida State University in meteorology, was director of the National Hurricane Center (197487) and chief meteorologist at KHOU (Channel 11) until his retirement in 2008.

please point this article in the direction of global warming sheep that you may know....

Was it not mentioned in some previous discussions that increases in CO2 followed warming, rather than preceding it?

If this were correct, then the CO2 increases would be an effect, rather than a cause of the warming trend. Perhaps someone recalls that discussion?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

good article.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

CO2 is NOT the chief greenhouse gas. Anyone who hangs their hat on CO2 is not versed in climate change. And yes, that includes Al Gore, as well as his political opponents who use CO2 to discredit the entire scientific field. I don't think science and politics are good bedfellows, and this debate proves it.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Was it not mentioned in some previous discussions that increases in CO2 followed warming, rather than preceding it?

If this were correct, then the CO2 increases would be an effect, rather than a cause of the warming trend. Perhaps someone recalls that discussion?
    John Stossel pointed that out in his dissection of "Inconvenient Truth" by zooming in closer of Algores own chart.

Conveniently, Algore avoided the question then and continues to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    CO2 is NOT the chief greenhouse gas. Anyone who hangs their hat on CO2 is not versed in climate change. And yes, that includes Al Gore, as well as his political opponents who use CO2 to discredit the entire scientific field. I don't think science and politics are good bedfellows, and this debate proves it.
    If not co2, what do you, as a "normal weather pattern denier" base your belief that man is the cause of global warming?
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Why is it the main proponent for global warming is the same person giving talks about the effects of global warming. Meanwhile his networth has incrased by millions. Maybe if he dld the lectures pro bono he might be more believeable.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    If not co2, what do you, as a "normal weather pattern denier" base your belief that man is the cause of global warming?
    You won't pin me down on this....I'm not a climatologist. From my reading of what I consider reliable sources, it seems that the number one contributor or greenhouse warming is water vapor. In potency, methane is near the top. CO2 has 1/4 the effectiveness as methane in trapping heat. This is a complex issue. When you look at trends, it appears undeniable that we are contributing to the warming of our planet, or else there is an unprecedented acceleration of climate change never seen before outside of catastrophic volcanic eruptions.

I do not blindly follow Al Gore. He clearly has an agenda to promote. But I also do not follow those who dismiss global warming. We should disconnect politics from the science here, and listen to what the credible scientific community has to say. Like I've said here before, following Al Gore's lead on this, is only slightly more ridiculous as totally dismissing the problem altogether.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

...When you look at trends...
    Like Mann's hockey stick? Mann's hockey stick is being discredited every day. So if you are using that as a basis, your entire frame of reference is called into question.

...it appears undeniable that we are contributing to the warming of our planet, or else there is an unprecedented acceleration of climate change never seen before outside of catastrophic volcanic eruptions...
    I am not sure your "undeniable that we are contributing to the warming of our planet" is based on anything. That is like saying the sun will rise today, 114 people will be killed in car accidents, therefore, the sun rising caused the car accidents and their deaths. If there is significant debate in the scientific community on this, how do you get to your conclusion?
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Article [II.]

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Like Mann's hockey stick? Mann's hockey stick is being discredited every day. So if you are using that as a basis, your entire frame of reference is called into question.

Since I'm not familiar with Mann's hockey stick, I genuinely doubt I'm using it as a basis. Does he play for the Penguins?

I am not sure your "undeniable that we are contributing to the warming of our planet" is based on anything. That is like saying the sun will rise today, 114 people will be killed in car accidents, therefore, the sun rising caused the car accidents and their deaths. If there is significant debate in the scientific community on this, how do you get to your conclusion?
    I completely understand the difference between correlation and causality. I also understand statistical sampling error. Thats why I cringe when I hear rednecks say things like, "dad-burn, more snow in Houston...so much for global warming!" Basically, those who have let politics could their objectivity will see only what they want to see. There's no use arguing with that mentality. And to aniticipate the flames back at me, I will say that Gore is just as blinded as the right wingers, neither of which are based on scientific review.