The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: food stamps again!

Default food stamps again!

I was talking with the owner and manager of the store I work at..... in two days (first two days of the month 2,3) the store made $32,000 in food stamp sales alone...keep in mind this is a store that serves a population of about 1700 people (area wide, possibly a little more).... that is 16,000 a day.... if there was 300 food stamp sales per day, that would be over $500 per customer.....I would guess that in the first 2-3 days of the month most food stamp users have spent about half of their 'allotted' money..... I would venture to say that the store makes about (not in profit, mind you) $75K per month on food stamps alone..I'd like to know the real numbers....LOL....

In fact, the owner was having a heated conversation with his brother about the fact that if it was NOT for food stamps, the store would NOT be in business.....I'd have to say he was right ...

how's that for 'spreading the wealth'? A good part of MY paycheck comes as a result of YOUR tax dollars paying for someone else's laziness!

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

What did your cigarette sales do during that period? I don't mind as much if people buy genuine food with their assistance, but cigarettes and lotto tickets chaps my #$$!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

I'd rather my tax money go to feeding people, rather than blowing them up.

Not everyone who is unemployed these days is lazy. I'm just glad I still have a job and paying taxes, and not buying food with food stamps.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    What did your cigarette sales do during that period? I don't mind as much if people buy genuine food with their assistance, but cigarettes and lotto tickets chaps my #$$!
    well,

I would venture to say that about 75% of food stamp sales also include tobacco sales....

If I can time it right, one of these days I am going to make a bunch of duplicate receipts that show what these people actually buy ( have to do it when it is a little slower..It might look a little funny if I was making duplicate receipts with a line of other food stampers waiting to be rung up.LOL...I will scan them (just the items and the total) and let you all see....It is outrageous....to say the least.

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

- Albert Einstein

I happened to hear a Food Supply/Nutrition expert on the radio a couple of months ago. Sorry I can't remember his name or credentials, but one of his points that really stuck with me was that fact that he stated, right now is the worst time in history for people in the US to recieve some form of goverment and or food subsidy. Currently 60 million Americans were recieving some form of help with the nutrition needs either with goverment food stamps, food pantrys, meals on wheels, charitable soup kitchens etc.
    That works out to about 1 in every 6 Americans.
    He also had done an extensive experiment on financially how much money it takes per week for a person to survive just for food. He started out a $60 per week for 4 weeks and then decreased it by $10 every 4 weeks. He commented at $40, $50, $60, per week a single person could do OK. After he dropped to $30 per week, it really started to tighten up. He stated that a person tended to trend towards more of the junk type food that cost less and gave you more of a immediate satisfaction. Also the more nutritious fresh fruits, vegtables, and better cuts of meat, were priced to high. The other thing that you tend to do is start eliminating 1 meal a day and "saving" that food for your main meal.
    His last comment on this excerise was that somewhere between $15 and $20 a week, a person cannot survive without some sort of assistance.
    "Like winds on the plains, sands in the glass, waves rolling in with the tide. dreams die hard and we watch them roll but we cannot be denied........The Fire Inside" Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band

My good friend from Sri Lanka pointed out to me one day how different America is from his country. He noted that in Sri Lanka, only the rich people are overweight. In America, the poorest are the largest. He said in Sri Lanka, "poor people are very very skinny."
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Spangler View Post
    but one of his points that really stuck with me was that fact that he stated, right now is the worst time in history for people in the US to recieve some form of goverment and or food subsidy.
    By this, did you mean that this is one of the worst times for giving people assistance, or did you mean that the numbers of people receiving assistance was at an all time historic high?

I don't feel that people should be able to buy cigarettes with food stamps. Can they actually do that? If not, I can imagine them paying for the food with food stamps, and paying for the tobacco with any cash they might have.
    Last edited by Buzz; 01-04-2010 at 06:18 PM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Spangler View Post
    I happened to hear a Food Supply/Nutrition expert on the radio a couple of months ago. Sorry I can't remember his name or credentials, but one of his points that really stuck with me was that fact that he stated, right now is the worst time in history for people in the US to recieve some form of goverment and or food subsidy. Currently 60 million Americans were recieving some form of help with the nutrition needs either with goverment food stamps, food pantrys, meals on wheels, charitable soup kitchens etc.
    That works out to about 1 in every 6 Americans.
    He also had done an extensive experiment on financially how much money it takes per week for a person to survive just for food. He started out a $60 per week for 4 weeks and then decreased it by $10 every 4 weeks. He commented at $40, $50, $60, per week a single person could do OK. After he dropped to $30 per week, it really started to tighten up. He stated that a person tended to trend towards more of the junk type food that cost less and gave you more of a immediate satisfaction. Also the more nutritious fresh fruits, vegtables, and better cuts of meat, were priced to high. The other thing that you tend to do is start eliminating 1 meal a day and "saving" that food for your main meal.
    His last comment on this excerise was that somewhere between $15 and $20 a week, a person cannot survive without some sort of assistance.
    That is very interesting.... Better cuts of meat are quite commonly purchased with food stamps here...new york steak, T bone, shrimp, etc.....

Another interesting thing...many food stampers here are overweight or obese....go figure...
    Juli

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Juli H View Post
    That is very interesting.... Better cuts of meat are quite commonly purchased with food stamps here...new york steak, T bone, shrimp, etc.....

Another interesting thing...many food stampers here are overweight or obese....go figure...
    Juli
    If I could get research funding, I would like to validate my concept of a nation's "twinkie index". That is the number of people living in a state, divided by the number of twinkies sold in that same state per year. I suspect obesity, Diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia, depression and reflux would correlate directly with the twinkie index. Lifespan would inversely correlate. When you consider the cost of common drugs to treat those nutritional diseases, it will stagger you. I'm not impugning twinkies per se, but I bet it would serve as an accurate surrogate marker for poor nutrition in a given population.

One of my best friends just told me he is in no hurry to find a job because with unenployement and FS for him and his kids he is only making $150 less a week than he was working. I would rather have the $150 but he is lazy and happy to use us for all he can. Not for nothing but he is also a big obongo fan
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke