The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: food stamps again!

Sorry but I have to chime in on this. When I was in my 15, my father came home one day and said "I'm leaving." He packed up his stuff, left, and we didn't hear from him for months. Needless to say, the bank accounts were emptied before he left. This was after my mother had to quit her job due to surgery. Money from my uncles and food stamps kept us afloat until my father's whopping $130 per month in child support kicked in. However, there was none of that pre-packaged stuff for us. My mother bought cheap hamburger patties and huge institutional cans of green beens and other vegetables at a wholesaler. We had loads of dry, not canned, beans and rice. We had spaghetti with a lot more pasta than meat and so on. When I worked at a grocery store in college, I got reprimanded for a comment made to some people using food stamps to buy more expensive food like lobster and junk. If it were up to me, first, the federal food stamp program would be gone and instead administered at the state or county level. The reason being that the federal program is only 24% efficient. In other words, for every $1.00 that goes into the program, only $0.24 ultimately make it to the beneficiary. The next thing would be that only certain foods would qualify: bread, eggs, milk, 73% lean hamburger, whole chickens, whole turkeys, vegetables, fruit, beans, and rice would have to be fresh, frozen or canned (in certain types; beans or rice would have to be dry), pasta, and certain other foods, flour, corn meal, etc. You get the picture. No boxed cereals would be allowed; it would be oat meal, take it or leave it. Basically, people truly in need would be provided the means to not only eat cheaper but also healthier.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    By this, did you mean that this is one of the worst times for giving people assistance, or did you mean that the numbers of people receiving assistance was at an all time historic high?

I don't feel that people should be able to buy cigarettes with food stamps. Can they actually do that? If not, I can imagine them paying for the food with food stamps, and paying for the tobacco with any cash they might have.
    My impression from his comment on this was both. He said that 60 Million people was an all time high at 1 out of every 6 Americans and also highest in history. Think about that, do 1 of every 6 people you know recieve some form of food subsidy?
    "Like winds on the plains, sands in the glass, waves rolling in with the tide. dreams die hard and we watch them roll but we cannot be denied........The Fire Inside" Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Spangler View Post
    I happened to hear a Food Supply/Nutrition expert on the radio a couple of months ago. Sorry I can't remember his name or credentials, but one of his points that really stuck with me was that fact that he stated, right now is the worst time in history for people in the US to recieve some form of goverment and or food subsidy. Currently 60 million Americans were recieving some form of help with the nutrition needs either with goverment food stamps, food pantrys, meals on wheels, charitable soup kitchens etc.
    That works out to about 1 in every 6 Americans.
    He also had done an extensive experiment on financially how much money it takes per week for a person to survive just for food. He started out a $60 per week for 4 weeks and then decreased it by $10 every 4 weeks. He commented at $40, $50, $60, per week a single person could do OK. After he dropped to $30 per week, it really started to tighten up. He stated that a person tended to trend towards more of the junk type food that cost less and gave you more of a immediate satisfaction. Also the more nutritious fresh fruits, vegtables, and better cuts of meat, were priced to high. The other thing that you tend to do is start eliminating 1 meal a day and "saving" that food for your main meal.
    His last comment on this excerise was that somewhere between $15 and $20 a week, a person cannot survive without some sort of assistance.

Not so sure about this...

Since we have gotten a little more serious about Dave Ramsey, we are spending $60-$80 per week for my family of four, plus one on the way. Diapers, wipes, makeup, etc included. I'm not starving and I am not gaining any weight from eating crap either. Then again, I am not eating shrimp and I can't remember the last steak I had...

There was a guy at the grocery store that had food stamps. I was jealous of the food in his buggy. I can not afford to spend the money he did for the steaks and things he had. O.K. I could now but not then, I did not have it.

He had dog food in his buggy. The manager told him dog food did not qualify for food stamps. He said that's O.K. my dog likes steak and put it back and got some more steaks.
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

I wonder if a program along the lines of WIC would be more beneficial all the way around. My understanding of WIC is that the mothers get coupons for an item, like a gallon of milk. the store is then reimbursed for the milk. Some farmers I used to work with got in a program to accept vouchers at their farmstands for fresh produce. This provides the recipients the nutritious food they need without the ability to buy junk food.

Administrative costs may increase a little. That would be offset by improved nutrition and hopefully, improved health.

There will always be fraud/misuse of the system. There will always be those who only want a hand-out, not a hand-up.

Tom
    Tom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Spangler View Post
    My impression from his comment on this was both. He said that 60 Million people was an all time high at 1 out of every 6 Americans and also highest in history. Think about that, do 1 of every 6 people you know recieve some form of food subsidy?
    Around here, it is MUCH higher than 1/6.....I'd like to know the actual numbers..

scary, huh?

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by twall View Post
    I wonder if a program along the lines of WIC would be more beneficial all the way around. My understanding of WIC is that the mothers get coupons for an item, like a gallon of milk. the store is then reimbursed for the milk. Some farmers I used to work with got in a program to accept vouchers at their farmstands for fresh produce. This provides the recipients the nutritious food they need without the ability to buy junk food.

Administrative costs may increase a little. That would be offset by improved nutrition and hopefully, improved health.

There will always be fraud/misuse of the system. There will always be those who only want a hand-out, not a hand-up.

Tom
    This would be ideal.... But GOOD luck getting the gov't to reform the program....the junk food companies make WAAAAY too much money from food stamps....
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Tom
    I think that is a great idea. I know from personal experience that WIC is an excellent program. Be careful though, I was called a mooch who owes everyone "big" for taking WIC benefits when my wife and I were starting out. I would rather my tax dollars go to helping women with infants and children than an extra million dollars in bonuses for AIG execs anyday!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Not so sure about this...

Since we have gotten a little more serious about Dave Ramsey, we are spending $60-$80 per week for my family of four, plus one on the way. Diapers, wipes, makeup, etc included. I'm not starving and I am not gaining any weight from eating crap either. Then again, I am not eating shrimp and I can't remember the last steak I had...
    I'm glad I'm not eating at your house. Three meals a day comes to 21/week. For a family of 4, that's 84 meals a week. On $60-80/week, that comes to $.71-.95/meal. I might make it if I ate mac & cheese and cereal at every meal.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Tom
    The problem with this is that while the intent is good the reality is not a reflection of the intent. At least twice a week (yeah I hit the grocery pretty much daily on the way home) there is WIC recipient in front of me with her groceries in two groups, the cheese, milk…that WIC provided for and then the “other” stuff. 9 times out of 10 the other includes steak, cigarettes, beer, soda, wine… Sorry if you can afford to buy beer, soda, cigs, and what not you do not need my money to buy milk and cheese. I have no desire to help you with your children in any way. DNF your story does nothing to make me feel any better about it, so you are saying we helped to support you while you worked toward your medical degree? Cool, but what have you done for me? I have not seen a check from your success that you gained while taking my money. If you can’t afford to have kids keep your pants on or do something to prevent it and no I do not want the goberment to give you BC so you don’t continue to populate the earth.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke