The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: food stamps again!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I'm glad I'm not eating at your house. Three meals a day comes to 21/week. For a family of 4, that's 84 meals a week. On $60-80/week, that comes to $.71-.95/meal. I might make it if I ate mac & cheese and cereal at every meal.
    And you should be able to eat what ever you want when it's bought with "Your hard earned money".

I'm glad I'm not eating at your house. Three meals a day comes to 21/week. For a family of 4, that's 84 meals a week. On $60-80/week, that comes to $.71-.95/meal. I might make it if I ate mac & cheese and cereal at every meal.
    You don't have to eat cereal and/or mac n cheese at EVERY meal, but you do have to be careful and make wise decisions.

Interestingly enough, I've not actually put a pencil to it, but I know we too have gotten a little better with stretching a dollar....lots of soup and/or leftover casseroles

I'm sure we could do an even better job, if push came to shove (let's hope it doesn't).
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_LAB View Post
    You don't have to eat cereal and/or mac n cheese at EVERY meal, but you do have to be careful and make wise decisions.

Interestingly enough, I've not actually put a pencil to it, but I know we too have gotten a little better with stretching a dollar....lots of soup and/or leftover casseroles

I'm sure we could do an even better job, if push came to shove (let's hope it doesn't).
    Ramen noodles and a flintstone vitamin....all you need! Don't ask.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Walker View Post
    Sorry but I have to chime in on this. When I was in my 15, my father came home one day and said "I'm leaving." He packed up his stuff, left, and we didn't hear from him for months. Needless to say, the bank accounts were emptied before he left. This was after my mother had to quit her job due to surgery. Money from my uncles and food stamps kept us afloat until my father's whopping $130 per month in child support kicked in. However, there was none of that pre-packaged stuff for us. My mother bought cheap hamburger patties and huge institutional cans of green beens and other vegetables at a wholesaler. We had loads of dry, not canned, beans and rice. We had spaghetti with a lot more pasta than meat and so on. When I worked at a grocery store in college, I got reprimanded for a comment made to some people using food stamps to buy more expensive food like lobster and junk. If it were up to me, first, the federal food stamp program would be gone and instead administered at the state or county level. The reason being that the federal program is only 24% efficient. In other words, for every $1.00 that goes into the program, only $0.24 ultimately make it to the beneficiary. The next thing would be that only certain foods would qualify: bread, eggs, milk, 73% lean hamburger, whole chickens, whole turkeys, vegetables, fruit, beans, and rice would have to be fresh, frozen or canned (in certain types; beans or rice would have to be dry), pasta, and certain other foods, flour, corn meal, etc. You get the picture. No boxed cereals would be allowed; it would be oat meal, take it or leave it. Basically, people truly in need would be provided the means to not only eat cheaper but also healthier.
    WHAT YOU SAY IS SO TRUE BUT IT WILL NOT EVER HAPPEN NOT WITH OUR GOVERMENT THEY THINK THERE SMARTER THAN EVERYBODY ELSE THATS WHY THERE IN WASHINGTON.

I believe that was $60-$80 a person not a family. That's $2.85 a meal. That is certainly very do-able because breakfast and lunch would be less if you made your own lunch. If you shop sales and make your meals from scratch from those items, you can eat very well with fruits vegetables, meats, whole wheat bread, and dairy. No junk or convenience. $20 would be pushing it but I could do it. Stews, casseroles, soups and yes, a bag of potatoes can go a long way.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Maybe the government should tell us all what we can buy at the store. Aren't most people one pay check away from needing a hand out? And since we will have mandated government health insurance more reason to limit what people eat? How do we know that the people that are on food stamps were not FAT and smokers before they lost their jobs? Do we have to do a fifty million dollar study to find out?

If everyone who isn't on government aid discloses our bad and good habits now we can save the money that would have gone into the fact finding study. I'll start. Not on any aid, non-smoker, but a little round in the middle. Bad habits like to eat red meat and have a soda each day. Good habits I eat fish and my dog makes sure I get at least 30 minutes of exercise each day.

Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Terri View Post
    How do we know that the people that are on food stamps were not FAT and smokers before they lost their jobs?
    Terri

I'd like to know how many people on welfare have NEVER had a job (and not because they weren't able)...I bet you'd be surprised at how high the number is.....

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Juli H View Post
    I'd like to know how many people on welfare have NEVER had a job (and not because they weren't able)...I bet you'd be surprised at how high the number is.....

Juli
    A significant percentage of current welfare recipients are employed part time or full time while receiving welfare and most have worked before. Almost half have severe mental and/or physical problems that make them virtually unemployable other than in menial jobs with employers that are prepared to make significant accommodations to help them manage. Still others are dealing with (or not dealing with) substance abuse problems, criminal records that make employers unwilling to consider them, and virtual or complete illiteracy. If one considers the population of those that have received welfare at some time in their lives, most are now working. The welfare reform changes in 1996 have actually helped redefine the pattern of welfare dependency, although the legal changes may have been less important than the boom in employment during the Clinton administration.

It is often surprising how mobile the populations are at the bottom of the food chain. One of my first jobs (1971) involved working with programs serving the Bowery in New York City. My vision of "Bowery bums" was always of older alcoholics who had sunk into the final stages of alcoholic dementia and would remain on the streets until they died. In some ways, my understanding had some truth. However, when we studied the Bowery population more closely, we found that on average the homeless bums on the streets had been there less than 6-8 weeks.

Most had been in steady jobs and often steady family lives only months before. Something happened, they went on a binge, and ended up on the street. After a period of weeks, they would end up in a hospital, detox program, or jail. They would emerge from the Bowery back into jobs. Unfortunately, whether it took months or years, most would be back again. The underlying problems that brought them to the Bowery the first time were seldom truly curable.

The same pattern holds true for homeless families. Most are employed. With assistance, most can and will stabilize themselves. For many, the circumstances that brought them to the bottom were exceptional -- a death, major illness, or an abusive spouse. For many of these, a hand up is enough to help them avoid ever becoming dependent again. For others, however, the circumstances precipitating their problems are essentially permanent -- mental problems, physical problems, illiteracy, substance abuse, etc. -- and they will end up in trouble again at some point in the future.

Hopefully the programs that assist them to recover will delay their return to dependency and help to break the cycle for the children that follow them on their trips up and down the roller coaster on which they live.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    LOL. Ah, I remember those days. Good times. Good times. Scurvy is not nearly as bad as you read about in books.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Sounds like you're reminiscing about college.

Or as is the case with my kids sometimes.....PB sandwich w/sugar saturated cold cereal and a vitamin...thank goodness they fortify those foods with vitamins (actually my kids do a pretty good job of eating). I have instituted the same treatment with my kids as I do with my dog "nobody ever died from skipping one meal and I ain't gonna worry about you kids until you go a straight 36 hours without eating."
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.