The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: food stamps again!

Dave,

I worked in the student union while I was in college. I swept the floors, emptied the garbage cans, and cleaned the kitchen. I once went a week eating nothing but peanut butter out of a jar and drinking milk. It was all I had until payday, books and tuition had drained me. I mentioned it to the chef there when he was working late one day. The guy used to cook for wedding receptions and big dinners hosted by the administration, in addition to cooking for what was served to students at noon and supper. He started putting meals in the oven on warm for me to sneak during my shift. Stuff like prime rib, mashed potatoes & gravy, green beans, squash, sweet potatoes. Yum. He said that he wanted to show his appreciation for finally having a student worker that actually got the grill, stove, and kitchen clean each night so he didn't need to re-do things in the morning. Shame on me for losing contact with the guy...
    Last edited by Buzz; 01-06-2010 at 08:51 AM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    LOL. Ah, I remember those days. Good times. Good times. Scurvy is not nearly as bad as you read about in books.
    What was the standard 'per page' typing cost in Ramen at Florida? We had some 'serious' capitalists here.

I'll bet Jeff has to research somewhere other than his 'Democrat Think Tank' website for the answer to this one. At least the 'Ramen' part will be easy.
    "What a difference a week makes. This week I feel like a football coach. Last week I felt like Britney Spears' choreographer."
    Coach Bob Green, Montana Tech

Quote Originally Posted by dback View Post
    What was the standard 'per page' typing cost in Ramen at Florida? We had some 'serious' capitalists here.

I'll bet Jeff has to research somewhere other than his 'Democrat Think Tank' website for the answer to this one. At least the 'Ramen' part will be easy.
    My son and daughter in law won first and third prize respectively for recipes for cooking Ramen in a Brooklyn competition. Beyond that I have no expertise. What 'Democrat Think Tank' do you think I check for my posts on POTUS? I probably frequent conservative sites much more often than liberal ones as I look up the original source of much of the misinformation posted here. I doubt you can find many instances where I have quoted or referenced anything from a "Liberal" site. I do not trust them any more than I trust the conservative sites. Both are high on agendas and short on integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    My son and daughter in law won first and third prize respectively for recipes for cooking Ramen in a Brooklyn competition. Beyond that I have no expertise. What 'Democrat Think Tank' do you think I check for my posts on POTUS? I probably frequent conservative sites much more often than liberal ones as I look up the original source of much of the misinformation posted here. I doubt you can find many instances where I have quoted or referenced anything from a "Liberal" site. I do not trust them any more than I trust the conservative sites. Both are high on agendas and short on integrity.
    I bet that Ramen Lobster Bisque was yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    I bet that Ramen Lobster Bisque was yummy.
    Actually, Vietnamese Beef and Ramen Salad:

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    OK. This is my son's recipe. Obviously, using cheap noodles doesn't necessarily mean a cheap meal.

Vietnamese Beef and Ramen Salad

Makes 6 servings

1lb NY strip steak
    1 thai chili, finely chopped
    juice of 1 lime
    salt, pepper to taste
    1 tbsp butter
    1 tbsp olive oil

Appx. 15 green onions (2 bunches) sliced on the bias (up to tender green parts)
    2 tbsp fresh mint, coarsely chopped
    2 tbsp fresh basic, coarsely chopped
    4 tbsp fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
    2 red bell peppers, cut into thin matchsticks
    cup bean sprouts

5-6 packages of ramen noodles (no flavor packets)

Dressing:
    3-4 tbsp fish sauce
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    3 thai chilies, minced
    water to taste
    2-3 tbsp sugar
    juice of 7 limes

Season steak with salt, pepper, some chili, and the juice of one lime. Bring to room temperature.
    Heat 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan on high heat; sear steak for approximately 3 min per side.
    Put steak in a 375 degree oven until rare (125 degrees).
    Let steak rest for 15 minutes and slice thinly.

Mix steak, green onions, herbs, peppers, and bean sprouts in a bowl with dressing to taste. Let stand for 45 minutes.

Cook noodles in boiling water until al dente (appx 3 minutes).

Combine noodles with sauce, adjusting dressing and other seasonings to taste.

My son noted that only 2-3 packages of the noodles were actually needed.

Thanks Jeff, that looks good. I'll have to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Dave,

I worked in the student union while I was in college. I swept the floors, emptied the garbage cans, and cleaned the kitchen. I once went a week eating nothing but peanut butter out of a jar and drinking milk. It was all I had until payday, books and tuition had drained me. I mentioned it to the chef there when he was working late one day. The guy used to cook for wedding receptions and big dinners hosted by the administration, in addition to cooking for what was served to students at noon and supper. He started putting meals in the oven on warm for me to sneak during my shift. Stuff like prime rib, mashed potatoes & gravy, green beans, squash, sweet potatoes. Yum. He said that he wanted to show his appreciation for finally having a student worker that actually got the grill, stove, and kitchen clean each night so he didn't need to re-do things in the morning. Shame on me for losing contact with the guy...
    Amazing how simple acts of kindness are not soon forgotten.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Amazing how simple acts of kindness are not soon forgotten.
    So stealing food and giving it to Buzz is a good thing? He should have been fired and put in jail.

So stealing food and giving it to Buzz is a good thing? He should have been fired and put in jail.
    Wow....this is harsh....

Compassion is a crime? The chef used his discretion as a reward mechanism...win/win is what I call it...

Must be cold in Indiana today.......

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

I highly doubt he would have even been reprimanded. He was much loved by everyone, especially his bosses. The guy was a first rate chef. It was 100% up to him what got done with leftovers. Some he sent down to the local shelter, with the administration's blessing.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)