The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 193

Thread: The peoples seat - Massachusetts

  1. #21
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,915

    Default

    I would not be surprised to see the conservative win. The Democrats are completely demoralized after seeing their party in action during the healthcare reform debate. Obama promised them that a new day was dawning, that the people's interest would be represented, not the interests of the monied corporate special interests.

    Obama campaigned for a public option.
    He campaigned against Republicans denying the government the right to negotiate drug prices for medicare recipients.
    He campaigned against mandates for people to buy health insurance.
    He campaigned against taxing high end health plans.

    What they got:

    No public option.
    No reimportation of prescription drugs.
    Mandates for people to buy insurance.
    A tax on high end health plans.

    And this is only a fraction of the issues that have them up in arms.

    It's going to be a bloody year for the Dems.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  2. #22
    Senior Member Uncle Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    4,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I would not be surprised to see the conservative win. The Democrats are completely demoralized after seeing their party in action during the healthcare reform debate. Obama promised them that a new day was dawning, that the people's interest would be represented, not the interests of the monied corporate special interests.

    Obama campaigned for a public option.
    He campaigned against Republicans denying the government the right to negotiate drug prices for medicare recipients.
    He campaigned against mandates for people to buy health insurance.
    He campaigned against taxing high end health plans.

    What they got:

    No public option.
    No reimportation of prescription drugs.
    Mandates for people to buy insurance.
    A tax on high end health plans.

    And this is only a fraction of the issues that have them up in arms.

    It's going to be a bloody year for the Dems.

    That's quite a post, Buzz. Congratulations. You are beginning to see the light. Must be some Sodak rubbing onto you eh?

    Whatever, what's happening in Washington HAS to be seen by any sane thinking American as pure socialism, and it's doubtful that real true Democrats are into allowing their nation to swing that far left.

    UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wetumpka, AL
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    What I look for is a close election with the MA Democratic machine stealing it a la Franken.

    Candidly, the election won''t impact the healthcare vote because even if Croakly (sp?) were to lose, the Democratic machine will demand a recount. During that period which may last for months, the interim Senator will be in place and voting.

    However, no matter which way the election turns, the Democratic party is running scared.

    Eric

  4. #24
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    What I look for is a close election with the MA Democratic machine stealing it a la Franken.

    Candidly, the election won''t impact the healthcare vote because even if Croakly (sp?) were to lose, the Democratic machine will demand a recount. During that period which may last for months, the interim Senator will be in place and voting.

    However, no matter which way the election turns, the Democratic party is running scared.

    Eric
    You've got to be kidding. Never has an election been scrutinized more thoroughly. The only reason the election was close was because Coleman was a complete fool. But he lost because more people voted for Franken than voted for Coleman and Coleman received a lot more in the form of due process than did the voters of Florida in 2000.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wetumpka, AL
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    You and I apparently read different newspapers.

    Eric

  6. #26
    Senior Member duckheads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    658

    Default

    same old stuff from the left. if the lame stream media says it enough people believe them. kind of like telling a lie for so long you begin to believe it really happened.
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl

  7. #27
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    You and I apparently read different newspapers.

    Eric
    You can see the decision in all of its detail at http://stmedia.startribune.com/docum...D:EaDUiacyKUUr

    I actually followed the story in the Minneapolis Star Tribune. You can see their "bias" in their editorial endorsement of Norm Coleman at http://www.startribune.com/opinion/e...7PQLanchO7DiUT

    Their final story on the election outcome is at http://www.startribune.com/politics/...3aPc:_Yyc:aUUr

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wetumpka, AL
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    I sort of stopped following the case as all the to-ing and fro-ing by both candidates required a personal knowlege or more time than I had.

    Since the trial court didn't or wouldn't (meaningless differention now) listen to the issues of fact, the appellate court had little choice but to affirm and thus Coleman had no choice but to concede. The trial court was presented with countless episodes of procedures not being followed correctly and they said, "Who cares. The result was a good one."

    What's interesting is that two of the Supreme Court justices were part of the canvassing process. That just doesn't make sense.

    I apologize if I incorrectly identified Al Franken as somehow a criminal. He's merely a buffoon and I'm sorry the party of of Hubert Humphrey was reduced to such a selection.

    Eric

  9. #29
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    I sort of stopped following the case as all the to-ing and fro-ing by both candidates required a personal knowlege or more time than I had.

    Since the trial court didn't or wouldn't (meaningless differention now) listen to the issues of fact, the appellate court had little choice but to affirm and thus Coleman had no choice but to concede. The trial court was presented with countless episodes of procedures not being followed correctly and they said, "Who cares. The result was a good one."

    What's interesting is that two of the Supreme Court justices were part of the canvassing process. That just doesn't make sense.

    I apologize if I incorrectly identified Al Franken as somehow a criminal. He's merely a buffoon and I'm sorry the party of of Hubert Humphrey was reduced to such a selection.

    Eric
    The two justices that were part of the canvass recused themselves from the appeal. The decision was made with a 5-0 vote of the remaining justices.

    The ballots reviewed during the canvass included every single ballot challenged by either candidate (the bulk of challenges came from Coleman). interestingly, each of the challenged ballots was digitized and made available for public review as well. There wasn't a lot of guessing involved in determining intent in accordance with Minnesota election law.

    Coleman's team expressed certainty that their candidate would win the recount and opposed efforts by the Franken campaign to broaden the areas of inquiry. They changed their tune when it became apparent they had lost. Ultimately, the argument of the Coleman campaign was that the only acceptable alternative was a new election since different election districts had different procedures and that the existence of such differences constituted unequal protection whether or not there was any sign of discrimination for or against any candidate. Of course, by that standard I doubt that there has ever been a fair election on the history of our country.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wetumpka, AL
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    My comment was that any damn fool would know that the case would arrive at the State Supreme Ct. For that reason, no State Supreme Ct justice should have been on the canvassing team. It just stands to reason that their job was on the Ct, not an ad hoc committee. Who's to say that the decision didn't go the way it did because those two weren't able to make an argument with their brethren.

    Eric

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •