9 13.43%
  • what is it?

2 2.99%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Owns the Line?

Default Who Owns the Line?

Who Owns the Line?
    I have long thought, typed here and told to the fresh faces. “You Own The Line.” As they are so rushed and sometimes overwhelmed by the people in the field and the judges and the marshal and the people taking and drying ducks and the rest waiting a turn. So much like a 5 year old at the county fair. They feel rushed. They do not take the time the dog needs. And so I counsel them to slow down. That for those next few minutes all those people are in the spot that they are in and doing the task given, for you. Paid for by your entry fee up front and by the unwritten trust that you will be standing in the mud tossing a very dead bird for them ether later that same day or at your clubs next event if you are visiting. The line is yours. “You Own The Line”.
    However.
    In conversations with Judges about handler infractions or perceived infractions you will often hear “I don’t allow that at my test”. Or when setting up the mechanics of a test the coming and going of the working dog and how the judges will position themselves you also will hear “I never set up my running line that way”
    It is clear the judges set up the test. It is as so many Monday Morning RTF Bus rides have shown us, It is the Judges Test, they own in. “The Judges Own The Line and you come and go at the pleasure of the Judges.”
    And Then.
    Everything goes a fowl on the honor.
    The Honor dog and handler paid the same as you. They are under judgment same as you.
    The were, up to just a moment ago when you stepped out of the last holding blind owning the line. And now here you come. Like walking a dog into a stranger’s house. Actually if we treated it like walking into a strangers house with a dog a lot of line issues and angst would be avoided. It miffs me when Molly Minivan strolls up chasing rainbows allowing Ol’ Fluffy to floss with drying rack birds and sniff honor dog butts on the way to the mat and is then oblivious to any infraction. But lets not digress. Stay on point Ken!
    So is the test with an honor the most clucked up timeshare possible? “The Honor Dog Own the Line?”
    And still more.
    The event committee owns the line. When handlers complain about a judge’s set up. When Judges complain about given grounds. When farmers complain about a kid trying to rake hay next to a live bird station (I kid you not, jackweasle tried to do some haying up against our test!) Who Ya Gonna Call? The Event committee. When all is said and done and the Monday morning bus is serviced and parked for the next trip. “It is the Event Committee that owns the line.”

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Ken Bora; 06-16-2013 at 08:49 AM.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Not but one dog on the line at a time - you own it.
    David Didier, GA

I don't know that you "own" it. You can use it with permission while you're there.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Sometimes my dog might think he owns it. And I would not say we own it but it your turn so take your time you have paid your dime!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    Not but one dog on the line at a time - you own it.
    Pretty much the way I see it when it's my turn.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

If you were to ask my retired dog, he would reply "What's a line?"
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Pretty much the way I see it when it's my turn.
    The National judges may disagree.

1. Handler on the mat for all marks.
    2. Dog on the mat for all blinds.
    3. Series 1 and 2 will be using rooster pheasants.
    4. Each handler will be given a reasonable amount of time to review the test. If they have not called for
    the bird the judges will say "time" and then call for the birds themselves.

If you own it, couldn't you do it your way?
    Bill Davis

The FTC/HTC are the quest of the land owner. These committees invite judges and they decided upon the line. Judges invite participates to the line, tells them where to sit, tells them when to leave and if they are invited back again. Handlers only decided if they want to play.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

I look at it as a rental apartment - you essentially "own" it while you occupy it as long as you abide by the lease, in this case the rules and how the judges have set it up. I also think you should have consideration for your neighbors (in this case the honor dog), but not to the extent it violates your pursuit of the quiet enjoyment of your line. Take your time, and do what you need to do to give your dog it's best chance to do well, and if you break the lease the folks with the clipboards will call it to your attention.
    Larry Housman
    GMHR-I Nils Lofgren's Moontears 1995-2010
    GMHR-II Silverbrook Gunar's Yellow Merkin MH 2001-2014
    GMHRCH-IV Silverbrook's Life of Brian MH
    NPRC's Basking in the Glow of Good Enough

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Housman View Post
    I look at it as a rental apartment - you essentially "own" it while you occupy it as long as you abide by the lease, in this case the rules and how the judges have set it up. I also think you should have consideration for your neighbors (in this case the honor dog), but not to the extent it violates your pursuit of the quiet enjoyment of your line. Take your time, and do what you need to do to give your dog it's best chance to do well, and if you break the lease the folks with the clipboards will call it to your attention.
    HaHa! Good analogy...
    Bill Davis