The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaking of philosophical...

Help me out. I don't even get the question. What is the difference? Are you all even talking about the same thing?

Amy Dahl

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    Help me out. I don't even get the question. What is the difference? Are you all even talking about the same thing?

Amy Dahl
    That what the question is about...
    I believe initial introduction 'pinch to open' FF doctrine is as progressive as shooting a dog with bird shot to get it to sit on a whistle. AS

*"That you are confused is VERY APPARENT. Are you a politician as well as a FORMER pro dog trainer who QUIT because YOU think that the trial game is all wrong?"

Not to put words into Alec's mouth, but what I think he's talking about is the fact that not everyone who trains a dog is a "dog trainer" any more than everyone who sits on a horse is a rider. What is it that separates the true dog trainers from the rest of those out there training dogs?
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Hookset View Post
    Not to put words into Alec's mouth, but what I think he's talking about is the fact that not everyone who trains a dog is a "dog trainer" any more than everyone who sits on a horse is a rider. What is it that separates the true dog trainers from the rest of those out there training dogs?
    Now that's a thought provoking perspective....
    I believe initial introduction 'pinch to open' FF doctrine is as progressive as shooting a dog with bird shot to get it to sit on a whistle. AS

*"That you are confused is VERY APPARENT. Are you a politician as well as a FORMER pro dog trainer who QUIT because YOU think that the trial game is all wrong?"

I am going to assume both are sucessful, the dog trainer understands dogs while the person who trains understands their dog.

I would say that is the best answer yet....

Quote Originally Posted by gsc View Post
    I am going to assume both are sucessful, the dog trainer understands dogs while the person who trains understands their dog.
    I know quite a few folks who train dogs, some professionally, who don't seem to understand dogs at all. One man's opinion.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Hookset View Post
    I know quite a few folks who train dogs, some professionally, who don't seem to understand dogs at all. One man's opinion.
    I would say they are not in either category then.

I'm only going to address those who run the dogs they train them self)

There are some who train nothing but the creme de la creme.

There are some that train the luck of the draw. by the seat of their pants.

How does one comparatively measure their ability to train dogs by Trial result

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Perhaps the trial/testing venues may not be the ultimate test of a trainers skills? They are of coures one way to measure the dog/trainer skills though.