The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of philosophical...

One thinks in terms of first force fetch, then walking fetch, then force to pile, on and on.

The other may follow those steps listed above but is not thinking in those terms/steps. Rather, they have a let's gradually mold and form mentality.

One thinks they know and gives lots of advice and one knows they don't know and wait to be asked first before giving advice.

One can bake the other can cook.

One is irrational the other rational.

Just think for a moment, in our insular little world, what kind of person describes himself as a dog trainer. Not any of the well known pros mentioned here daily, nor the kind of person I'd seek advice from if I had a problem.

When training dogs does one have to win to achieve success ?
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Just think for a moment, in our insular little world, what kind of person describes himself as a dog trainer. Not any of the well known pros mentioned here daily, nor the kind of person I'd seek advice from if I had a problem.
    I have called my self a Dog Trainer here : Guess I was wrong to : Must not be one:

I was 12 when I got my first dog : I turned Pro at 19 I have worked worked with hands on over 2000 dogs I am pretty sure. My dog lives with me 24/7 sleeps on the bed - Go's every were I go . I hunt them , I do not trial or test them but those that stay pass my test.

You comment gave me flash backs 10 years ago yesterday -- I was hunting the Susquehanna River - I was with Chris and had Baby a 10 year old lab . Over night the island we were hunting got Ice all down the shore. I was a extreme duck hunter . But I told Chris do not shoot ducks that will hit the current . There was plenty of open water over the island to the front ,side and behind us.

He did not listen - My d-- dog broke and went out the back of the blind. She had about 1500 wild bird retrieves She never had to see them fall . She knew were they were from the gun and splash . I came out and jumped in the boat . She would not stop , I lost control of her. The boat would not start. I started down the island. Yelling at Chris , at the dog . I had to keep my eyes on her. I kept running down the island.

She got the duck , but now we got a problem . The ice was way out from the lower part of Island. I lost it . I lost my common seance . I went out on the ice to save my dog I love more than my self.

Chris came down the river Flying in the boat Screaming at me . Get back - I did- I herd him, -now walk her up the ice she can do it he yelled -- I did 50 yards and she got to were there was very little ice and I could grab her. 60 days later she died of cancer, and I cried like a baby . It dose not get any easy to lose your dog. I know every one on here Loves their Dogs.

True Story -- . Can I call my self a dog trainer on the site or should I leave Mam.

Regards JIM

Originally Posted by Ken Bora
    If a person were to ask both a dog trainer and a person who trains dogs, why are you training that dog would the answer be the same?

The dog trainer : the pro get paid . A person who trains dogs: a hobby
    Windrush

Alec what would you consider Delmar Smith an animal trainer or dog trainer.
    ________
    herbal vaporizer forum
    Last edited by carolinagold; 02-04-2011 at 01:53 AM.

When I started out, dog training was a contest of wills for me. That dang dog was going to do what I wanted him to one way or another. I didn't much care what he thought about it. Even with that attitude I had a good dog.

Now my dog is my partner. I appreciate his willingness to go, and I try to shape him into the best thing for both of us. You can't see much difference in the dogs based on performance. There is a big difference in the dogs based on relationship.

I can't imagine life without a dog (wouldn't hardly be worth living). I can't imagine that dog not being a Lab.

What does that make me? Why would I care? I'm happy.
    Terry Moseley
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

Wink

Holy moly, you can tell winter has set in.

Regards
    Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Quote Originally Posted by PackLeader View Post
    A reader of music can read the notes, not play the fiddle. A player of music can read the notes, and play the fiddle.
    and some can play and not read the notes at all.
    as the years have past since this was first up.
    it seems I meet more and more folk who train dogs and fewer and fewer dog trainers.
    I am sure all the people are the same. Maybe it is how I look at them that has changed.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    and some can play and not read the notes at all.
    as the years have past since this was first up.
    it seems I meet more and more folk who train dogs and fewer and fewer dog trainers.
    I am sure all the people are the same. Maybe it is how I look at them that has changed.
    genius! Direct strike to the head of the nail. The problem seems to be the ones who train dogs know more than the dog trainers. It is amasing that a professional trainer with years of knowlege can post a page full to "how too" along with the philosophy that goes with it and that information is glassed over in favor of advice from someone who is yet to put a senior pass on a dog. I blame it on the interweb. The number of know it alls has increased logarithmically with each year the interweb has been around. This is true pretty much across the board and not limited to a dog training forum.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke