The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of philosophical...

I have never been one that can communicate very well with others..

I can act class clown pretty well,, but in actuality its a cover for insecurity.. If all else fails,, get laughs

I am VERY jealous of folks that seem to have an uncanny ability to communicate with a dog... You can just tell when you see it..

The more I learn about training dogs,, the better I have become communicating with them. The collar is used less,, the stick is just held, but in certain circumstances, its the communication that gets the tast accomplished..

When that happens,, its a Great feeling...

I wish I were better at it........
    Still learning regards:

Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 06-17-2013 at 09:10 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I have never been one that can communicate very well with others..

I can act class clown pretty well,, but in actuality its a cover for insecurity.. If all else fails,, get laughs

I am VERY jealous of folks that seem to have an uncanny ability to communicate with a dog... You can just tell when you see it..

The more I learn about training dogs,, the better I have become communicating with them. The collar is used less,, the stick is just held, but in certain circumstances, its the communication that gets the tast accomplished..

When that happens,, its a Great feeling...

I wish I were better at it........
    Still learning regards:

Gooser
    See you have never been the guy Ken or I am talking about. You use have a sense of humor AND you get how to best use the resource. I doubt there is a person on RTF that has the slightest dislike for Gooser. RTF is like a safe full of gold with the door wide open, and some people still only take the pocket change someone left sitting on top of the safe.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    RTF is like a safe full of gold with the door wide open, and some people still only take the pocket change someone left sitting on top of the safe.
    Very well put Sir.

It is amasing that a professional trainer with years of knowlege can post a page full to "how too" along with the philosophy that goes with it and that information is glassed over in favor of advice from someone who is yet to put a senior pass on a dog.
    I have been away so I am not sure if there is a specific instance that caused this particular thread necro, but I am amazed by this as well. To me, it seems that the folks who actually know what they are talking about and will post a thoughtful response are fewer and farther between here these days (for obvious reasons) and when they do it takes some time for them to do it right. In the meantime, the person (speaking generically here) who showed up a few months ago asking for advice on their first dog has spouted off five responses to an OPs question and to the newbs they often sound like an expert.

Best advice for using this forum to get training advice, I have heard, is to first lurk for a while and figure out who knows what they are doing and then post your questions. You may not get immediate feedback on the problem you had in training today but in the long run you and your dog will be better off for it.

genius! Direct strike to the head of the nail. The problem seems to be the ones who train dogs know more than the dog trainers. It is amasing that a professional trainer with years of knowlege can post a page full to "how too" along with the philosophy that goes with it and that information is glassed over in favor of advice from someone who is yet to put a senior pass on a dog. I blame it on the interweb. The number of know it alls has increased logarithmically with each year the interweb has been around. This is true pretty much across the board and not limited to a dog training forum.
    Corey, the really unfortunate thing about that is when a useful thread that had some excellent advice in it, some good advice, and some that I didn't necessarily agree with but who knows disappears. It's sad to me that the advice that could have helped future and present RTFers is gone because someone pouted and took their ball and went home.

I think the week is probably over now and I would've liked to know if the problem is solved.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    Corey, the really unfortunate thing about that is when a useful thread that had some excellent advice in it, some good advice, and some that I didn't necessarily agree with but who knows disappears. It's sad to me that the advice that could have helped future and present RTFers is gone because someone pouted and took their DOG and went home.

I think the week is probably over now and I would've liked to know if the problem is solved.
    There fixed that for ya

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

genius! Direct strike to the head of the nail. The problem seems to be the ones who train dogs know more than the dog trainers. It is amasing that a professional trainer with years of knowlege can post a page full to "how too" along with the philosophy that goes with it and that information is glassed over in favor of advice from someone who is yet to put a senior pass on a dog. I blame it on the interweb. The number of know it alls has increased logarithmically with each year the interweb has been around. This is true pretty much across the board and not limited to a dog training forum.
    Corey I agree with your comment but I go back to an earlier post where the writer stated you have to be particular who you pick to listen to on the RTF. Check out their passes etc. Yes the internet is wonderful but... JMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Not as deep as you think
    Bert Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Alec Sparks View Post
    Disclaimer: Warning, potentially deep thought ahead.

Anyone care to address/comment/wax poetic/rant on the concept of people that train dogs compared with people that are dog trainers?

[Not am/pro oriented thankyouverymuch]

Not very poetic but:

One is common and the other is rare.

One posts but rarely on RTF (ouch!).

One enjoys training a challenging dog and the other moves to another dog.

One would rather train than compete even though their success rate is admirable.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieversONLINE View Post
    Not very poetic but:

One is common and the other is rare.

One posts but rarely on RTF (ouch!).

One enjoys training a challenging dog and the other moves to another dog.

One would rather train than compete even though their success rate is admirable.
    That line in particular speaks volumes. In my opinion (worth a whole $.01 after taxes) that is a key factor in this here philosophical question.