The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Republicans for more Taxes???

Default Republicans for more Taxes???

Here in Pa, our republican state legislators are pushing to make I-80 (one of two main E-W routes, and major vein between chicago and NYC) a toll road once again. If I'm not mistaken, we the people own that road, having already paid for it, and pay for maintenance. It will hurt working class people who commute or transport on that road on a daily basis.

It doesn't make sense to me, that republicans, who are supposedly for lower taxes and less gov't control, would support what is essentially an excise tax on OUR road.
    Those of you in other states, who's federal tax dollars also pay for this road, should be even more upset, as Pa politicians will fill their troughs with money from taxing YOUR road as well.

Also, isn't that in effect a state legislating interstate commerce? What if EVERY state thinks it can tax their portion of the interstate highway system? The old family vacation could get unaffordable really quick.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Here in Pa, our republican state legislators are pushing to make I-80 (one of two main E-W routes, and major vein between chicago and NYC) a toll road once again. If I'm not mistaken, we the people own that road, having already paid for it, and pay for maintenance. It will hurt working class people who commute or transport on that road on a daily basis.

It doesn't make sense to me, that republicans, who are supposedly for lower taxes and less gov't control, would support what is essentially an excise tax on OUR road.
    Those of you in other states, who's federal tax dollars also pay for this road, should be even more upset, as Pa politicians will fill their troughs with money from taxing YOUR road as well.

Also, isn't that in effect a state legislating interstate commerce? What if EVERY state thinks it can tax their portion of the interstate highway system? The old family vacation could get unaffordable really quick.
    Most Republicans in PA are about like a Dem anywhere else. Remember Specter? Some of them should be waking up about now...
    Bill Davis

I know you'd like to change the subject from Scott Brown to some ginned-up anti-GOP screed, but I'm having a hard time seeing how you can lay road tolls (that haven't even occured yet) in PA republican's laps. Here's the google search results...maybe you can find an article in there that supports your claim. I couldn't:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...vania+toll+i80

A quick perusal of those some of those articles found where the PA GOP is touting the opposition of the toll road by a PA US Congressman. I found where the tolls were proposed by Dem. Fast Eddie Rendell and the PATurnpike Commission (commisioners appointed by Dem. Rendell). I found that the opposition is bi-partisan in rural PA. I found that the Bush Admin. Transportation Dept. had already rejected the toll request twice, and that Dem. Gov. Rendell is shooting for a third time. So please educate me why/how this is a GOP issue?
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

[QUOTE=Hew;553878]I know you'd like to change the subject from Scott Brown to some ginned-up anti-GOP screed,

You obviously would rather attack me than read anything I've written about the Mass race! surprise surprise But back in reality-land, I have NO problem with the democratic process playing itself out. And as I've said last week, I'm actually glad he's ahead, and now won. Sorry to deflate your attack mode, it just doesn't hold water in this case.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

[quote=dnf777;553918]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    I know you'd like to change the subject from Scott Brown to some ginned-up anti-GOP screed,

You obviously would rather attack me than read anything I've written about the Mass race! surprise surprise But back in reality-land, I have NO problem with the democratic process playing itself out. And as I've said last week, I'm actually glad he's ahead, and now won. Sorry to deflate your attack mode, it just doesn't hold water in this case.
    No, I read all 437 of your posts in the last 3 days about the Mass election. I just found it curious that after all that postin' that one day after the Mass election you'd rather talk about alleged republican hypocrisy in PA instead of the ramifications of MA. That little bit of curiosity aside...

Can you address why you think the I-80 toll issue (or non-issue, really, since it will probably be rejected like the other two requests) falls in the laps of the PA GOP?

Banned

ask the okies - reddest of red states and they have toll roads out the wazoo.....

[quote=dnf777;553918]
    And as I've said last week, I'm actually glad he's ahead, and now won.
    I can't hardly follow you Dave, makes me dizzy.

When you spend your life riding the fence, in the end all you have to show for it is arse full of splinters.

cheers-

[QUOTE=Hew;553937]
    No, I read all 437 of your posts in the last 3 days about the Mass election. Can you address why you think the I-80 toll issue (or non-issue, really, since it will probably be rejected like the other two requests) falls in the laps of the PA GOP?
    Jeez,
    I'm flattered!
    Congrats on your Mass victory, by the way. I hope your man there lives up to his words of being for the people, and not lobbyists and corporations. Only time will tell. If he does, maybe 2012 is too early, but he will be a presidential contender someday soon.

As for the I-80 issue, it was on two local news stations, one of which is affiliated with the Scaife network family, hardly a liberal pillar. It was reported that a panel of republican lawmakers in Harrisburg were revisiting the issue to generate state revenues. If I find a print version, I will post.

When you spend your life riding the fence, in the end all you have to show for it is arse full of splinters.

I see a new sig line there. I don't care who you are that's funny!
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl

As for the I-80 issue, it was on two local news stations, one of which is affiliated with the Scaife network family, hardly a liberal pillar. It was reported that a panel of republican lawmakers in Harrisburg were revisiting the issue to generate state revenues. If I find a print version, I will post.
    Gee, I would have thought you'd be very familiar with the story and have your ducks in a row since you thought it was so important that you'd start your own thread about it and tell us that we should be upset at those hypocritical republicans. I guess that's just me, though.

BTW, I don't know what those gop lawmakers could supposedly be revisiting as Democrat Gov. Rendell's request to charge tolls is sitting on Transportation Secretary LaHood's desk at this very moment awaiting his decision.