RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Drake Waders

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  David Lo Buono 
#1 ·
I bought a pair of Drake brand waders last year. I have worn them some but never abused them. I put them on for the first time this season a few weeks ago and they leak like crazy! Has anybody else had this problem? I called Drake and they told me to butt a stump, which is very disappointing. Especially since I buy thousand of dollars worth of gear every year. Does anybody have any suggestions on a good pair of waders?

#3 ·
I have had alot of success with the Cabelas Brand 'ultimate hunting wader'. They are 5mm with just Velcro over the shoulders. I hunt HARD and they hold up. I am on the 3rd season on my second pair, my first pair made it 5 seasons of hunting 4-6 days a week.

Travis

#4 ·
I've campaigned hard in my Cabella's Dry-Fits and they have held up very nicely. Plus I take some comfort in Cabellas making things right if my kit goes pear shaped.

I am disappointed in Drake. I have some of their stuff and for me it is a bit too casual and light duty. I have a rain shell that does not perform like my goretex gear, and a fleece anorak that while it looks nice, I have already torn a seam. It would appear they don't bother double stitching or bar tacking, so if you use it, it falls apart.

So in the end to me Drake is a superb marketing company, but I think I would leave their stuff on the shelf. Again sorry to hear about your waders, wet is a certainly a bag drag.

#6 ·
Find the leak. Use a flashlight in a dark room. Hold the light along the seems on the inside and look for light coming through. After you find the leak(s) get some shoe goo or similiar sealant and fix the leaks. I have had many pairs of waders through the years and they have ALL leaked at some point. Just seal the leak and press on!

#10 ·
I don't want to over exagerate the point but they don't make enough glue to fix these Drake waders. I'm very disapointed. I don't think things should last forever but when Drake puts this product out there as the best wader made and I can't get one full season out of them before they start leaking something is wrong. I called Drake direct and talked to the man in charge of warranty claims and he told me I needed to contact the vendor I bought the waders from. That's piss poor service. I won't buy anymore Drake gear period.

#7 ·
I'd give another vote for cabelas, for quality and price. I have the 4mm ones with 1200g thinsulate boots (the step down from there top of the line mag). Used them for 2.5 duck seasons, plus training, and some work, they are holding up good. But of course I've punched holes in them and the rubber on the boots has cracked, so whatever you buy, get a tube of aqual seal with it. It's the best adhesive I've used, never had to reapply it from pealing off.

#8 ·
Go Cabelas...They take their waders back no questions asked

I get a new pair of waders every 2 years..I the take to the trip to Hamburg plop my old waders on the counter(regardless weather they are leaking) and go get brand new ones.....I've been using the ti1200's

#16 ·
I looked at the Drake waders and they are higher than giraffe nostrils. Couldn't make myself part with that much money on an unproven product.

I purchased a pair of the First Flight Cabelas waders 6 years ago thinking they'd be "disposable" just like all the other brands I had tried. I hunt everything from low country beaver swamps (saw briars, beaver sticks, and blackberry thickets) to iced over Nebraska rivers (breaking ice can be the kiss of death for el cheapo waders). I probably log about 60 days a year in the field.

Imagine my surprise when year after year they proved me wrong. I also started dog training in them since they are so light weight. I could wear my best khakis underneath, train for an hour and then go into work dry and clean.

They lasted 5 years!!!! Never leaked and never let me down. They FINALLY started seeping around the top of the boot this year and guess what. Dang right! I bought another pair of First Flight waders!!

I'm still training dogs in my old pair and my new pair performed flawlessly this season..

I'd go with Cabelas brand AND if you do get a bad pair like everyone has said, just turn them in for a new one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.