Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marines pulling out of Iraq

Banned

Default Marines pulling out of Iraq

Marines pulling out of Iraq

January 23, 2010 - 3:31am

The U.S. Marine Corps is leaving Iraq.

The U.S. military says the Marines will formally handover control on Saturday of Iraq's western desert to the Army during a ceremony at Camp Ramadi, about 70 miles (115 kilometers) west of Baghdad.

The handover marks the end of the Marine mission in an area once considered a main battleground of the insurgency.

The Army's 1st Armored Division is now responsible for both Baghdad and the vast desert province of Anbar.

The departure of the Marines marks the beginning of an accelerated American drawdown in Iraq.

President Barack Obama has ordered all but 50,000 troops out of the country by Aug. 31, 2010, with most to leave after the March 7 parliamentary election.

Sounds like a plan to me.

sure does now thank Bush...

I'm glad to hear that some of our men and women are coming home. I just hope and pray that we don't have to go back again.

Of course they hand it over to the 1st Armored Division...most of whom are from Fort Hood TX, of which my dad was a proud member...First Armored Division is usually the first unit called in any major conflict and one of the last to leave....

Job well done Marines ..Hoorah...you deserve to come home
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eildydar View Post
    sure does now thank Bush...
    For starting the needless war? For over 5,000 of our armed forces killed there? Maybe we should thank Bush for a war that has lasted longer than WWI & WWII combined?
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 01-23-2010 at 01:52 PM.

For starting the needless war? For over 5,000 of our armed forces killed there? Maybe we should thak Bush for a war that has lasted longer than WWI & WWII combined
    great point,,,maby theres a lesson there

p

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    For starting the needless war? For over 5,000 of our armed forces killed there? Maybe we should thak Bush for a war that has lasted longer than WWI & WWII combined?
    No discussion of "needless wars" is complete without discussing Vietnam. You want to talk length and death tolls? No comparison.

Thank you JFK and LBJ.

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

My curiosity was aroused about how long would the war in Iraq if all the news media would have not been allowed to be there and the military just be allowed to FIGHT instead of having to watch every little move they made. My thought is when you start a fight END it quickly by any means.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by walt8@cox.net View Post
    I think I read years ago that JFK had no intention of escalating our presence there. LBJ was the one to thank.
    JFK put the first "advisors" and troops there...LBJ, thanks to Robert McNamara, took it to the "next level." Iraq was a cakewalk in comparison, with results that will actually do some good in the long run.

Vietnam...not so much...

k g
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    JFK put the first "advisors" and troops there...LBJ, thanks to Robert McNamara, took it to the "next level." Iraq was a cakewalk in comparison, with results that will actually do some good in the long run.

Vietnam...not so much...

k g
    I believe Eisenhower sent the first troops there, though in an advisory/exploratory Capacity.

"In addition, Eisenhower explored the option of supporting the French colonial forces in Vietnam who were fighting an independence insurrection there. In 1953, Eisenhower sent Lt. General John W. "Iron Mike" O'Daniel to Vietnam to study and "assess" the French forces therein.[49] Chief of Staff Matthew Ridgway dissuaded the President from intervening by presenting a comprehensive estimate of the massive military deployment that would be necessary. However, later in 1954, Eisenhower did offer military and economic aid to the new nation of South Vietnam.[50] In the years that followed, the number of US military advisors in South Vietnam increased due to North Vietnam's support of "uprisings" in the south and concern the nation would fall.[50]"

This was due to his relationship with DeGaulle and the French's disastorous embarrassment in Indochina I belive.

rk
    Stan b & Elvis