The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Unprecedented cheap shot and lack of class

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    It is long and well established that members of the judiciary do not make public utterances or arguments. For this reason, they are essentially defenseless. President Obama should know this because he's an attorney.

President Obama lowered himself last night. Whether you agree or disagree with him or the Court in their recent decision, what he said about the Court was an absolute cheap shot. The Rep who called him a liar was out of bounds. However, that action pales compared to this. I don't know that a President has ever criticised the Court in a public forum such as last night.

Amongst anything else said about the President, he's a public bully.

Don't know what they can do except not come next time.

Eric
    That is the Chicago Machine way....
    The problems of today cannot be solved the with same of thinking that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Politico quotes Obama as saying: "Last week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for special interests including foreign corporations to spend without limit in our elections."

The actual quote was: "With all due deference to separation of powers, last week the Supreme Court reversed a century of law that I believe will open the floodgates for special interests -- including foreign corporations -- to spend without limit in our elections."
    Unless we were to go back and listen to the actual speech, there's no way to judge this. The text of the speech is made available to news outlets 30-60 minutes early. However, the President can deviate from the text, So....was it real or Memorex? Which, or either, represents what he said?

Either interprestation leads me to the same conclusion. Obama is a bully. It was the criticism in public while they sat in front of him and the legislators stood in applause that leads me there. (The applauding legislators are of much the same ilk.)

Eric

Oh yes, those poor, poor judges with lifetime appointments and lifelong benefits that are untouchable. I feel so bad for them.

Yes, they had to sit there and take it. Kind of like YOU and I will have to sit back and take the effects of the court's decisions, and not have any say! Did you also feel so sorry for the poor helpless judges on the Roe decision? I may be wrong, but hasn't that decision been criticized a few times also??
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Yes, they had to sit there and take it. Kind of like YOU and I will have to sit back and take the effects of the court's decisions, and not have any say!
    You're missing the point. I can and do criticize court decisions.

Congress can get at a President by passing or not passing legislation, by affirming or denying appointments. The President can get at the Congress by veto, by public opinion. Only the Judiciary is unable to use the powers they have in a spiteful, or perhaps the word is political, fashion.

Suppose that the Court had got up and walked out of the Chambers in the midst of the speech? That would have been the measured response to the event. However, that would have raised heck amongst the commentators.....and you.

I'm not a judge. Don't play one on TV. I just think that the President overstepped the bounds of civility in doing this.

Eric

Congress can get at a President by passing or not passing legislation, by affirming or denying appointments. The President can get at the Congress by veto, by public opinion. Only the Judiciary is unable to use the powers they have in a spiteful, or perhaps the word is political, fashion.

Suppose that the Court had got up and walked out of the Chambers in the midst of the speech? That would have been the measured response to the event. However, that would have raised heck amongst the commentators.....and you.

I'm not a judge. Don't play one on TV. I just think that the President overstepped the bounds of civility in doing this.

Eric
    The Court has acted in a political manner since its foundation. The Florida decision in 2000 was a good example. Individual justices routinely speak out in a political manner. Scalia and Alito are prime examples. In his own reaction to the President's comments, Alito himself showed a clear lack of judicial reserve. Presidents have been complaining about Court decisions forever. That is part of the process.

I can't recall a President complaining about SCOTUS at a State of the Union address. Typical Chicago style bullying, wait until you have an audience to make yourself look like a classless jerk.

The Florida decisions were a part of their job. An issue was presented to them. Had the Florida Supreme Ct done it's job, perhaps the Supreme Court of the United States would not even have been a player. Let's leave it at that.

As for Alito's response, it was that, a response. In fact, in the terminalogy of the judicial system, it was an "excited utterance." Chances are, he feels badly. Obama doesn't. There's the difference.

Eric

President Obama is the product of entitlements.
    He has never been told NO and has all his C's made into A's for him.
    All his messes have been tidy'd up for him.

Hey, welcome to the real world......

NO!!

rk
    Stan b & Elvis

Eric
    I wouldn't go so far as to say this overstepped civility. After all, he said it courteously. I would agree it may not have been the place or time, but jeez, I think there's a whole lot of ado about no BFD! On both parts. The court KNOWS that any decision they make will have opponents, and shouldn't get their panties in a bunch when someone says so! OTOH, so he mouthed quietly "not true". Again, BFD! He was not disruptive or overtly disrespectful....no more or no less than Obama's comment. Let it go!

This sounds like a kindergarten argument playing out. There's more important issues out there for both sides to worry about.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    President Obama is the product of entitlements.
    He has never been told NO and has all his C's made into A's for him.
    All his messes have been tidy'd up for him.

rk
    You are totally kidding, right, or do you just have him confused with a different president?