The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unprecedented cheap shot and lack of class

Quote Originally Posted by Pals View Post
    I can't recall a President complaining about SCOTUS at a State of the Union address. Typical Chicago style bullying, wait until you have an audience to make yourself look like a classless jerk.
    There have been 98 State of The Union addresses. Only three prior Presidents (Harding, FDR, and Nixon) took on the SCOTUS during the SOTU address.

ABC World News Tonight trivia regards,

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Well that's why I can't recall it-I'm tooooo young!! I guess I should have looked it up-my bad. However I'm exercising my female right and NOT changing my mind-classless jerk.

Keith-

Your comment sent me to searching. I searched all the State of the Union addresses of Harding, Roosevelt, and Nixon for the words "Supreme" and "Court". The latter made no mention of these key words. Harding said,

>>Closely related to this problem of education is the abolition of child labor. Twice Congress has attempted the correction of the evils incident to child employment. The decision of the Supreme Court has put this problem outside the proper domain of Federal regulation until the Constitution is so amended as to give the Congress indubitable authority. I recommend the submission of such an amendment.

Unless you can think of any word or words that would be used instead of Supreme and Court to mean the Supreme Court.....the reference is not there.

I don't doubt that Roosevelt had some angst at the Supremes over the decisions and the court packing scheme. It's just not in the State of the Union addresses unless he used a code phrase or word.

Eric

Here is one instance:

Roosevelt criticized the Supreme Court without using those words. Upset that the Court had thwarted his efforts to pull the nation out of the Depression, Roosevelt a month later introduced his ultimately unsuccessful "court-packing" plan that would have allowed him to expand membership of the Court and add justices of his own choosing. Here is what Roosevelt said in his State of the Union address: "The Judicial branch also is asked by the people to do its part in making democracy successful. We do not ask the Courts to call non-existent powers into being, but we have a right to expect that conceded powers or those legitimately implied shall be made effective instruments for the common good. The process of our democracy must not be imperiled by the denial of essential powers of free government."
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    President Obama is the product of entitlements.
    He has never been told NO and has all his C's made into A's for him.
    All his messes have been tidy'd up for him.

Hey, welcome to the real world......

NO!!

rk
    Do you have a link to that?

Didn't think so

You just made it up,,,,,,,,,,,,,didn't you

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    Keith-

Your comment sent me to searching. I searched all the State of the Union addresses of Harding, Roosevelt, and Nixon for the words "Supreme" and "Court". The latter made no mention of these key words. Harding said,

>>Closely related to this problem of education is the abolition of child labor. Twice Congress has attempted the correction of the evils incident to child employment. The decision of the Supreme Court has put this problem outside the proper domain of Federal regulation until the Constitution is so amended as to give the Congress indubitable authority. I recommend the submission of such an amendment.

Unless you can think of any word or words that would be used instead of Supreme and Court to mean the Supreme Court.....the reference is not there.

I don't doubt that Roosevelt had some angst at the Supremes over the decisions and the court packing scheme. It's just not in the State of the Union addresses unless he used a code phrase or word.

Eric
    You might want to query ABC news, particularly Good Morning America, Eric. That's where my info came from....

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Banned

NO!!

rk
    exactly - the guy has been praised as the "annointed one" so long he believes it. even pop songs "i have a crush on Obama" (although she is changing her tune as well... )

Quote Originally Posted by cotts135 View Post
    Do you have a link to that?

Didn't think so

You just made it up,,,,,,,,,,,,,didn't you
    My impression was that he was saying that Obama is a product of affirmative action.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

NO!!

rk
    What particular entitlements is Obama a product of? Are you referring to his academic performance when you say his C's have been made into A's? What messes have been tidied up for him?

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    You might want to query ABC news, particularly Good Morning America, Eric. That's where my info came from....

kg
    Keith-

I actually queried every one of the actual SOTU addresses of the three presidents. When in doubt, use source documents. What I did was search for "Supreme" and "Court" and let it go at that. Turns out that Roosevelt was more circumspect than that and used "judicial."

For reference, every SOTU address seems to be available as a part of the Penn State Electronic Classics series. Search for: "State of the Union" and {president'sname}

You said Nixon in the first message when in fact it was Reagan, which you then corrected.

This has gone on longer than a really minor point needs to. I just felt that the comment was decidely more pointed than it needed to be and that he told an untruth to make the point.

Eric