The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Economy grows at fastest pace in 6 years

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Depends on how you measure it. As a percentage of GNP, its not the largest. I still find it amusing that ONLY when the debt hits $12 trillion, do the republicans start to worry about spending!?! All of the sudden, now, its an issue worth getting a sweaty crack over, but not for the first 12 trill. (maybe, just maybe, its only when a democrat is in office do they pipe up about spending!)
    So, as an "independent," you are all right with the current spending spree??

rk
    Stan b & Elvis

Banned

lets all just keep clear on one thing - if its bad - its because of the last 8 yrs of bad policies. if its good, then the "annointed one"'s visions and ideas are working.

Sounds like good news, however the thought on the street is that this uptick is more an accounting anomaly caused by an adjustment for inventory levels rather than real growth: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35149367...s-answer_desk/

Kind of like the unemployment numbers that drop not because people got jobs but because people gave up looking for jobs.

T. Mac

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

rk
    You know me better than that. That is the biggest disappointment of 2009. Keeping 99% of the health reform debate public, then going behind closed doors for the last 1% that really matters, was another. Its like televising the entire football season, then blacking out the superbowl, and saying, well, you got to see most of the season!

I had hoped that with a guy in the WH that "seemed" to be against lobbyists and govt-for-sale, and congress, we could un-do some of the disastrous policies of the past decade.....namely NAFTA....but it's turned out to be more of the same.

To be fair, Obama did inherit a $1 trillion deficit, to add on top of an $11 trillion debt, in the worst economic downturn in our lives, with our country bleeding jobs like a stuck pig, and a threatened global banking and monetary collapse.....you REALLY didn't expect a turnaround with job creation, balanced budget, stock rallies, and prosperity. did you? please tell me not!
    And you don't think we'd all be sipping daiquiris on our motor yachts had McCain or Romney or Huckabee won, either, do you?

You're right on the other thread about life's too short! Not counting dog years, either! On that note, I think I'm going to enjoy a tumbler of liquid warmth with Abner. Have a good one--

dave
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Dave I think you will find most on here have commented at one time or another about the out of control spending Bush did, especially in the last couple years of his administration. The only reason i "expected" a complete turn around is because that is what Obama promised. He said unemployment would never go above 8 percent and he would "save" or create 5 million jobs. Now the administration can't even get its facts right about how many jobs it has saved. Not to mention we are now at 10% were at 10.7% and real unemployment is more like 17% economists are saying. That doesn't include the super inflation that will occur from spending HUGE amounts of money that we don't have.

Obama didn't come in and say well if we do this and this then we will just bring us back from the edge he said if we pass the stimulus and other things that we will be okay and can go back to our "normal" lives.

Quote Originally Posted by eildydar View Post
    Dave I think you will find most on here have commented at one time or another about the out of control spending Bush did, especially in the last couple years of his administration. The only reason i "expected" a complete turn around is because that is what Obama promised. He said unemployment would never go above 8 percent and he would "save" or create 5 million jobs. Now the administration can't even get its facts right about how many jobs it has saved. Not to mention we are now at 10% were at 10.7% and real unemployment is more like 17% economists are saying. That doesn't include the super inflation that will occur from spending HUGE amounts of money that we don't have.

Obama didn't come in and say well if we do this and this then we will just bring us back from the edge he said if we pass the stimulus and other things that we will be okay and can go back to our "normal" lives.
    I'm with ya. I am very disappointed, although I never held very high hopes for a miracle. I did not actually vote for the current guy, despite what several have assumed. I could not however, vote for McCain and subject us to more of the same policies of the past 8 years, which had us on a trajectory towards certain demise and collapse.

Kind of like the condemned prisoner being offered a choice between quick death, and slow death. Not a real nice choice.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    The economy grew at a faster-than-expected 5.7 percent pace in the fourth quarter, the quickest in more than six years, as businesses made less-aggressive cuts to inventories and stepped up spending.
    The Commerce Department said on Friday its first estimate put fourth-quarter gross domestic product growth at its fastest pace since the third quarter of 2003. The economy expanded at a 2.2 percent annual rate in the third quarter.
    Analysts polled by Reuters had forecast GDP, which measures total goods and services output within U.S. borders, growing at a 4.6 percent rate in October-December period.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35141308...s_and_economy/

That's encouraging.
    Tell these folks how good the economy is;

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100202/D9DK7V400.html

or these;

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100202/D9DK7V400.html

rk
    Stan b & Elvis

It is amazing what a little growth in revenue will do for a bottom-line, and the loss of revenue will send a company in a tail-spin that many never pull out of.

I don't like the spending, but understand it, and I believe at this point we have no other options. All this talk right now about cutting spending is nothing but talk and politics. If they cut spending now the unemployment will go threw the roof. We took a simular approach in the 30s and look at how long it took the country to pull out of it and ask your parents or grandparents about it.

What they are attempting may not work, but it is better than the alternative.

As for as the dollar is concerned, it is trading higher against the yen and euro than it has in years. The reason the market is off today is because of the strengthing dollar. As for as trade deficits are concerned, that gap is narrowing for the first time in years, given the dollars position against other currencies

Inflation is a function of currencies, and if our dollar is strengthening against them, inflation is at bay.

You can't listen to the nysayers; they will get you in trouble.

Buzz I'm Sam's Dad...how have you been

Senior Member precisionlabradors's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

rk
    i don't think he was saying that...just that he is tired of the whiners being blind to or supportive of spending when their guy is the one doing it, but acting like 2012 has arrived when not their guy is spending.
    ________
    Airsoft Good
    Last edited by precisionlabradors; 04-26-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    The economy grew at a faster-than-expected 5.7 percent pace in the fourth quarter, the quickest in more than six years, as businesses made less-aggressive cuts to inventories and stepped up spending.
    The Commerce Department said on Friday its first estimate put fourth-quarter gross domestic product growth at its fastest pace since the third quarter of 2003. The economy expanded at a 2.2 percent annual rate in the third quarter.
    Analysts polled by Reuters had forecast GDP, which measures total goods and services output within U.S. borders, growing at a 4.6 percent rate in October-December period.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35141308...s_and_economy/

That's encouraging.
    Geez, I hope so, considering we lost a decade of investments.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.