RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

bumpers

5K views 34 replies 26 participants last post by  cwirvin 
#1 ·
what bumpers does everyone use and wheres the best place to purchase all my dog supplies?

#12 · (Edited)
I'm really partial to the Hallmark plastic bumpers. I have quite a few of them. They're really easy for even pups to grip and hang onto and their durability is excellent as all of the ones I have are in great shape after 15 years. They don't split, crack or rot. The only damage is from my ex-wife's dog when the (cuss) thought it was no big deal to let the pup use some bumpers as chew toys while I was out of town. The Hallmark bumpers also don't get rock hard in the cold like the Avery bumpers AND the Hallmark bumpers are made in good ol' Wisconsin, USA. The Avery bumpers (and Avery everything else) are made in good ol' communist China; you know, the country that poisons our pets (melamine in pet food), children (lead and other toxins in children's toys), and adults (toxins in toothpaste and vaccines.)

#13 ·
i will likely never buy another bumper again since i started making my own at 10 - 30 cents apiece. people laugh - but the dog doesnt know the difference, they hold scent very well (i often bag them with ducks), you dont get mad when you lose one or hang it up as a tree ornament, and they dont disappear out of the bed of the truck....

#17 ·
Me too for nueman and bennett. I use their duck decoys too. Great product very durable--good people. Always pay a visit when hunting up in Tulelake country!

#20 ·
HuntinDawg - your post has me doing a lot of thinking about the equipment I use and what I will be buying in the future. Good post, thanks.

#22 ·
Please understand that I'm not calling for anyone to boycott China. I'm not boycotting them myself. To think that we can do without things made in China is not realistic at this point. However, I know about the lack of quality control over there. I know how little QC impact the US importers actually have. Most have virtually no impact on QC until the product hits port in the US. At that point the product has typically already been paid for. And I know that we cannot trust them to do the right thing when it comes to matters of the consumer's health, much less that of our pets. If it goes in my kid's mouths or my dog's mouth I would rather buy it from somewhere besides China. With anything plastic or rubber that is associated with the mouth (retrieving, eating, drinking, baby teething items, dog chew toys, etc.) I really worry about the lead content. Also, I see no reason why any US food products (for us or our pets) should come from China. That boggles my mind. Also, if a US importer tells you that their company owns the factory in China (and consequently they can control the QC) there is about a 99.9% chance they are lying.

#24 ·
I have just recently purchased a few from Cabela's. They are 2x12" valveless plastic. They have good throwing weight, and are still soft. Got them in a three pack just to try out. They also offer a 6 pack. Can't remember what i gave for them but after searching around they seemed to be cheaper than the competitors. I don't know where they were made. The only thing I didn't care for is the fact that I couldn't get a mixed bag, white, orange, black. Had to get all the same color, hence the reason I only got 3 just to try.

#28 ·
I use Avery's 2" hexa bumpers and have a couple 3". A guy on another board was selling 15 for $20 and I couldn't pass it up. I also have the new Avery EZ bird that is working pretty good.

I think bumpers are like football teams in that everybody has their favorites. I think it comes down to product and personal opinion.

Cory

#33 ·
If you live in cold climate the Soft Mouth DT systems are great they don't get hard in the winter.

#34 ·
I use these - made by a local trainer - good product - comes with rope.

www.i-bumper.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.