The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Man dies in rare fatal shark attack in Florida

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    That lifeguard is a hero. Imagine the stones needed to swim into a group of sharks and rescue a stranger who's bleeding all over. Amazing.

"Halliburton shark machine"
    You got that right.

STUART The lifeguard who attempted to save a kiteboarder Wednesday off Stuart Beach was the victim of a shark attack himself more than 20 years ago.
    So as he fought rough winds and high waves on Wednesday, Daniel Lund, 46, realized what lay ahead about 20 yards before he reached the kiteboarder, Stephen Schafer, a quarter-mile off the beach. He saw blood in the water and "two or three sharks" nearby.
    Lund, a nine-year veteran whose leg was severely injured by a shark in 1986 off Hutchinson Island, swam in anyway.
    "It was nerve-wracking," Lund said today in his first interview after the fatal shark attack that claimed Schafer, 38. The fatal attack, also off Hutchinson Island, was the first in Martin County.
    Knowing from experience and lifeguard training that sharks tend to bite, then swim away, and come back to their victim, Lund moved fast to recover Schafer. The man had several big gashes in his leg and arm, according to a police report.
    "The amount of blood that was in the water was definitely going to attract them," Lund said.
    Lund cradled the man's head in one arm and paddled back to shore with the other. The waves were so rough that both were thrown apart once before they made it in.
    Lund recovered the man a second time on his buoy and brought him to the beach where paramedics started CPR. Schafer later died at Martin Memorial Medical Center in Stuart.
    Lund said Schafer talked to him until they were about half-way from shore. He wouldn't say what Schafer's last words were, but Lund said he remained hopeful throughout the ordeal that the man would survive the attack.
    "You don't ever want to lose somebody," he said.

Someone tell me how this belongs on POTUS....just askin'.....

k g
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post

k g
    That's an easy one..........sharks and politicians are pretty much the same
    kind of animal.

It's called an analogy, KG. The sharks are Obama and his henchmen and the man is the American taxpayer. First, they come take some bites out of us with all the spending to 'fix' the economy, then when it doesn't work, they come back to bite us again. If someone can't stop the bleeding, we will die as well...The only question is who is the lifeguard? Will our lifeguard have better success?

How many posts will it take before someone says that Bush took the first bites and says I had no problem with it then?

BTW, my story was mainly in jest...Not too bad off the cuff, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    That's an easy one..........sharks and politicians are pretty much the same
    kind of animal.
    You shouldn't insult sharks like that!

Smile

Didn't Al Gore invent kite surfing? Wouldn't that make it his fault?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rsfavor View Post
    Didn't Al Gore invent kite surfing? Wouldn't that make it his fault?

that is really good - nice comment!

but seriously - who actually invented kite surfing?? google all you want, not sure if you will get this one....but please try to answer without googling - the answer may surprise you...

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post

k g
    Because it was Bush'sfault!!

rk
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    that is really good - nice comment!

but seriously - who actually invented kite surfing?? google all you want, not sure if you will get this one....but please try to answer without googling - the answer may surprise you...
    Kites were invented in China almost 3000 years ago, and were actually used to fly warriors over enemy lines, for fishing, and for a variety of other purposes. They were first used as an aid in sailing in the 13th century and, as far as I know, that would be the first precursor to kite surfing. I don't think Al Gore was alive..... (see http://www.kitesurfingnow.com/kitesu...esurfing.shtml)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Because it was Bush'sfault!!

rk
    I believe that was already said.

Bush caused it
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke