RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Ref to let'em play GDG

609 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rsfavor 
#1 ·
Scott Green is the Referee for the Super Bowl. His crews, this year, have called an average of 11.1 penalties per game for an average of 96 yards. He has officiated the Saints and Colts once each this year. In the Saints/Panthers game there were a total of 13 penalties called for 92 yards. In the Colts/Patriots game there were 7 penalties called for 92 yards. Interestingly enough, in these two games featuring Manning, Brees, and Brady, there were no roughing the passer calls and only three holding calls. Look for a fair but let'em play attitude. In Green's games the average number of points scored was 46.8. This ranked fourth in the league.

#3 ·
I am all for "let them play"! Not all QB's are big sissies and Football is a contact sport.

You now the Colts are going to try and hit Brees. Buddy Ryan built the 85 Bears SB winners that way.

I say that all late hits should be called but, we don't want the Officials determining the outcome of the game.

#4 ·
I agree with everything you said....

Remember though, an official that doesn't make a call because he doesn't wnat to determine a game, is deteremining the game by not making the call just as much as if he called it. I had that explained to me by a less then calm coach when I decided to "no call" a marginal call that could have gone either way at teh end of a wrestling match.....

After thinking about it some he was right, and though I still don't think I should have made the call in that case, I will no longer not make a call to avoid changing the outcome....

Lets say Freeney's ankle is feeling good and he gets a couple questionable hits on Brees that get let go, and then Mathis not to be outdone gets one that is just a touch later that knocks Brees out. Sometimes a call early in the game saves calls late in the game, by letting players know where the line is....

If either QB gets knocked out by a clean hit, so be it, but if a late hit changes the outcome that would be a travesty.

#5 ·
I was a high school football official for fourteen years. In our pre-game we always talked about consistency in calling the game. Make the same call in the first quarter as you make in the last two minutes of the game. I think that an NFL official already knows what his parameters are for certain infractions, especially judgement calls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.