RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Chassis mount VS. trailer

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Tim Marshall 
#1 ·
I was wondering if I could get some opinions from those of you that have had chassis mounts and trailers. Could you tell me which one you liked more and why? Thanks

#3 ·
you got enough dogs to need both like this ( Don Remein's truck and trailer)

#5 ·
I'm glad I don't have that many dogs. It's one or the other.
Then my preference would be a chassis. I have 16 holes and I pull a trailer with a 4 wheeler. The chassis is nicer to take to tests and trials. Dealing with the upper holes can be hard on your back, but my husband came up with a light weight ladder that my dogs easily get up into the holes. I won't have a dog jumping up or down from a top hole.

Some pro's have 5th wheels but you're limited on where you can park. Getting in and out of farm gates can be a challange also. I've pulled a big trailer and it feels like I'm pulling a cattle trailer. Too cumbersome.

FWIW

Angie

#7 ·
I've also heard people comment that the trailers get the exhaust into the dog holes... drive faster, I guess!:D

But, you won't need two vehicles....

#9 ·
I've got a new ford diesel and a big ten hole trailer. I only need 6 holes. Here's my thoughts.
Trailer advantage:
Only one vehicle to insure, register, change oil, buy tires, repair, etc.
Hold dogs, four wheeler and all gear
Easy to hook on to and go train

Chassis mount advantages:
Don't have to drag a trailer
Put less miles on my new truck
Feels safer than a trailer

I can buy a used truck and chassis for what I can get a newer atv dog trailer for.

#16 ·
Not an expert, but I believe when you go adding closets in front and back as well if you go to say like 6 rather than 8 holes, it needs to be bumped up. The manufacturers of the box should be able to let you know which you need for the type of box you are wanting.

Aaron

#17 ·
I'm with Angie, I've had both and I like my 16hole chassis mount over a dog trailer. I pull a box/enclosed trailer for 4 wheeler, wingers and other gear in the am when running marks. I like having the gear locked up and out of the weather. In the pm when just doing yard drills/blinds etc, I can leave the trailer at the kennel and work out of the dog truck. Chassis is way to go regards....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.