The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: College Exam... :)

Quote Originally Posted by sambo View Post
    Never in the history of the US Treasuries have any of them paid a coupon of 9-15% Hoverever during the Bush 1 years and the early Clinton years, you may have earned that type of return as rates went down and the principal value of your treasuries went up.
    Obviously the 8 3/4 of May 17 & the 9 1/8 of May 04-09 that I owned were figments of my imagination . But I keep the WSJ's 1st edition of each year & here it is from 1 January 2000 under the heading Treasury Notes, Bonds & Bills, page C13:

11 3/4 of Feb 01, 13 1/8 of May 01, 13 7/8 of Aug 01, 15 3/4 of Nov 01,
    14 1/4 of Feb 02, 11 5/8 of Nov 02
    10 3/4 of Feb 03, 10 3/4 of May 03, 11 1/8 of Aug 03, 11 7/8 of Nov 03
    12 3/8 of May 04, 13 3/4 of Aug 04, 11 5/8 of Nov 04
    12 of May 05, 10 3/4 of May o5
    10 3/8 of Nov 04-09,
    11 3/4 of Feb 05-10, 10 of May 05-10, 12 3/4 of Nov 05-10
    13 7/8 of of May 06-11, 14 of Nov 06-11
    10 3/8 of Nov 07-12
    12 of Aug 08-13
    13 1/4 of May 09-14, 12 1/8 of Aug 09-14, 11 3/4 of 09-14
    11 1/4 of Feb 15, 10 5/8 of Aug 15

In the interest of space I did not list the High 8's & 9's that were also shown. But I think you get the message. I also owned several callable Muni's with a 7 to 8% coupon that were called just when interest rates tanked. Taught me a valuable but expensive lesson. In today's environment I would not buy a muni regardless of the terms & coupon!!!

Obviously we have a lot of people not working that don't want to work either. However, we have a lot of people that want jobs and there are not any for them. Given this, a country of our means should take care of those that want or can't take care of themself or won't take care of themselves. When you look at the US budget only a small fractual goes to wellfare programs, but that is what people yell the loudest about since it hits close to home, i.e., the bum getting by and not working for it, while you are working and paying taxes and they are not.

Let's look past that for a minute. That wellfare money makes itself into the pockets of businessmen, such as farmers, food merchants, clothing merchants, oil companies, and everything in between. Albeit the government gives it to the orginal receipant, the profits these companies make on it are taxed, and if you take Freedman's aurgument for trinkle down economics and his example of a pencil maker and all the people that are involved in bringing a pencil to market, for every dollar that is spent, numerous people touch it and pay taxes on it. The velocity of it is mind blowing.

Given how families are spread out these days, people don't have traditional family to turn too, and I don't have a problem with my tax dollars helping someone in distress. I get a lot for my taxes, i.e, great highways to drive to field trials, great airports to fly in getting to a trial, great parks to train and compete on, safe food to eat, public education, higher education, safe drugs, safe buildings to work in, and on and on. However, that low income earner never uses all these interstates or airports, they don't own any property that needs books and records kept on, etc., etc., so I should pay more because I use more.

I don't like paying taxes, and I agree that there is waste in the system. But I have no problem taking care of the less fortunate because I've been blessed. However, an illness in my family or some other unfortunate tragedy, such as an earthquake of Hurricane or Bernie Maydoff can change my life in a heartbeat, and I might need some charity myself. Hopefully I never have to burdan anyone, but I know it could happen.
    I'll boil your obvious willingness to help others with someone else's money down to this: I do not have any problem with a hand up but don't talk to me about a handout. I've seen some pretty rough times, but managed to work that out on my own, without stealing from someone, but by relying on the tools I was given to work with. Did I have people take advantage of my circumstances, probably, but they have to live with that as I put that all behind me when it happened.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    The problem does not lie with the average joe getting his SS check, it lies with the non earners let into the system & the public employee retirements we are bering asked to fund.
    And let's not forget that in addition to allowing non-earners into the system, our government's promoting a sweeping entitlement mentality that encourages these non-earners to breed and churn out more of their ilk that grow up to believe they're not only entitled to a lifetime on the dole, but free day care, late model cars, flat screen TVs, cell phones, high speed internet and 3 hots and a cot whether or not they're in prison.

Those are not US treasuries......those coupons sound like B grade corporates not US treasuries

In the early 90s the 30 year treasury got as high as 8%, and I bought a lot of them and sold them when rates went to 3% and if the 30 year gets north of 7% again I will by a bunch more.

Dude I spent a large part of my career on the high yield desk at Merrill Lynch in NYC...I was a Distress Securities Analyst...and I dated a 5 yr note trader during that period until she sold me short. You don't know what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by sambo View Post
    Those are not US treasuries......those coupons sound like B grade corporates not US treasuries
    You have my reference down to the page - check it out for yourself. I am literate !

In the early 90s the 30 year treasury got as high as 8%, and I bought a lot of them and sold them when rates went to 3% and if the 30 year gets north of 7% again I will by a bunch more.
    Subtract the maturities from 30 & you will find this started in '71 through '85. While I would probably extablish a small position @ 7% I expect rates to return to the area I have quoted in post 51, making me .

Dude I spent a large part of my career on the high yield desk at Merrill Lynch in NYC...I was a Distress Securities Analyst...and I dated a 5 yr note trader during that period until she sold me short. You don't know what you are talking about.
    & you're bragging about being employed by one of the firms that brought the system down, not much of a recommend . But I'm reasonably sure I know what I am talking about, enough so that I would be willing to make a wager - you name your poison, Buzz can hold the stakes. Winnings get donated to a charity of the winners choice .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Actually, SS has reserves in the trillions (they hold the majority of the national debt) and is generating about $180 billion in surplus this year.
    Once Goose finishes his breakfast he promptly goes out in the back yard for his morning pooh. Of course I never pick it up because it counts as dog food reserves...kinda like the social security reserves.

I thought keynesian witch doctors didn't include the 'special' bonds held by social security in the national debt?

Here's a question...what's the difference between the US debt owned by the Japanese or the Chicoms and the 'special' IOU's owned by us in the social security lock box?

Anybody?

Marvin S

I owe you an apology. From about 1980 - 1985 the yield on the 30 treasury was above 10% and as high as 14.5%. Best I can tell, there were not that many long term treasuries issued during that period and the ones that were for the most part have been retired. I'm guessing that Marvin is still holding a few.

Again, I apologize, but my points regarding SS I still stand behind.