The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More global warming shenanigans?

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Exactly. As my favorite stat professor said in graduate school, "Personal experience is not statistically significant."

I wasn't trying to make the point that this was statistically significant. I was trying illustrate how silly it is to point at isolated events, such as the big snowstorms on the east coast. Actually the big storms are not inconsistent with climate change at all.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Exactly. As my favorite stat professor said in graduate school, "Personal experience is not statistically significant."
    I hope your professor also pointed out the difference between statistically significant and practically significant. Also observational studies have led to advances in the scientific community. Not all statistical studies are well designed. It depends on the integrity of the individuals involved. Just to relate an experience I had as a statistical advisor on a thesis. The Dean asked me to be on the Committee to help set up the design for the thesis. After a couple years of work the student presented me his work to sign off. I noticed that he had an unbalanced design which was different from the original plan. I asked him why the difference. His advisor had asked him to remove all the raw data that didn't meet his hypothesis. I'm sure this practice continues today with the amount of money granted to propagate a certain point of view.

Jack, Ph.D.
    It was impossible, so it took a little longer to accomplish.

why is sea level rising faster today than it has since we started keeping records?

is someone manufacturing water and dumping it in the oceans?-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

If we grant that the data is accurate, the question still remains as to whether this data reflects something man has done (or is a natural course of events occurring out of the control of man) and whether the measures that have been suggested will have the desired impact on what may be a trend.

Advocates are presuming that the advent of the industrial age precipitated the data presented.

If we truly believe this data, does it make sense to rebuild New Orleans, rather than relocate its people & businesses? Does it make sense to insure homes hit by hurricanes repeatedly, knowing that the events will repeat themselves?

A local person contemplated purchasing a condo in the Caribbean somewhere ... until he discovered that nobody would insure the costly home That makes some sense. The risk of climate in that location is well-documented, so the insurors have taken the position that those who choose to live there will have to assume the risk.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Exactly. As my favorite stat professor said in graduate school, "Personal experience is not statistically significant
    Exactly ,,Hasnt the world been on a cooling and warming cycle like forever, even before man built the first steam engene.

Its been unusually warm this past January here but December was an early bitter cold,, It doesnt mean a thing.

I would ask why the polar star isnt quite so polar as it used to be. Just thinkin here.
    Gotta mean somethin

I hope your professor also pointed out the difference between statistically significant and practically significant. Also observational studies have led to advances in the scientific community. Not all statistical studies are well designed. It depends on the integrity of the individuals involved. Just to relate an experience I had as a statistical advisor on a thesis. The Dean asked me to be on the Committee to help set up the design for the thesis. After a couple years of work the student presented me his work to sign off. I noticed that he had an unbalanced design which was different from the original plan. I asked him why the difference. His advisor had asked him to remove all the raw data that didn't meet his hypothesis. I'm sure this practice continues today with the amount of money granted to propagate a certain point of view.
    I have a good friend who is a scientist,,,he says this stuff happens all the time. He is also fed up with the politics involved with science.
    Now you know why I scratch my head when I read some of the scientific jargon. Whats your agenda and I'll tell you my science
    Pete

And statistics over the course of a few hundred years in the scope of 10s of thousands of years is a blip at best. Climate change has happened since time began and will continue long after we are gone.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

why is sea level rising faster today than it has since we started keeping records
    Paul
    Maby because the earth is actually cooling its not evaperating fast enough

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    why is sea level rising faster today than it has since we started keeping records?

is someone manufacturing water and dumping it in the oceans?-Paul

is it?

Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    is it?

Increasing temperatures result in sea level rise by the thermal expansion of water and through the addition of water to the oceans from the melting of continental ice sheets. Thermal expansion, which is well-quantified, is currently the primary contributor to sea level rise and is expected to be the primary contributor over the course of the next century. Glacial contributions to sea-level rise are less important, and are more difficult to predict and quantify.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

OMG. The sea has risen about 2 inches in the last 15 years! That's insane! We should rearrange our economy and entire way of life or else in another 4,789,343 years I will have some sweet beachfront property here in Central FL.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.