The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More global warming shenanigans?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    After-all, look, it's snowing in DC!

Never mind that they are trucking in snow so they can have a winter olympics...
    That's the answer! The earth is actually changing it's axis! Soon, the equator will be cold and the north and south pole will be the new vacation spots for spring breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

Increasing temperatures result in sea level rise by the thermal expansion of water and through the addition of water to the oceans from the melting of continental ice sheets. Thermal expansion, which is well-quantified, is currently the primary contributor to sea level rise and is expected to be the primary contributor over the course of the next century. Glacial contributions to sea-level rise are less important, and are more difficult to predict and quantify.
    Did you get that graph from Henry?

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    OMG. The sea has risen about 2 inches in the last 15 years! That's insane! We should rearrange our economy and entire way of life or else in another 4,789,343 years I will have some sweet beachfront property here in Central FL.
    I'm sure the process is linear.
    Last edited by Buzz; 02-12-2010 at 09:21 AM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by junbe View Post
    I hope your professor also pointed out the difference between statistically significant and practically significant. Also observational studies have led to advances in the scientific community. Not all statistical studies are well designed. It depends on the integrity of the individuals involved. Just to relate an experience I had as a statistical advisor on a thesis. The Dean asked me to be on the Committee to help set up the design for the thesis. After a couple years of work the student presented me his work to sign off. I noticed that he had an unbalanced design which was different from the original plan. I asked him why the difference. His advisor had asked him to remove all the raw data that didn't meet his hypothesis. I'm sure this practice continues today with the amount of money granted to propagate a certain point of view.

Jack, Ph.D.
    Absolutely true. He also taught the difference between academic fraud and scientific analysis. One of the stupidities of the academic process is research is sometimes viewed as a failure if it does not support the investigator's original hypothesis. This obviously creates an incentive for fraud since science must value positive and negative findings equally to avoid research bias.

3.2mm +/- 0.4mm per year! Wow! Quick someone do the math for me, I live two blocks from the river, how long before I can build a dock??? Oh yeah I can't build one anyway, your not allowed because docks kill manatees. Of course this year was the higest manatee count of ALL time AND more manatees died from cold stress last year than ever before.
    Once again do we stop man made global warming and save the poor polar bears who are dying because it is too hot by making it cooler. OR do we save the manatees by letting it "get warmer" thus saving them from dying from cold stress?

The sky, she is falling........
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Does anyone know how much Gore has profited from all this crap? Follow the money.

Mountain out of a molehill regards
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    Does anyone know how much Gore has profited from all this crap? Follow the money.

Mountain out of a molehill regards
    I think that would be particularly informative in tracking the backgrounds of the deniers.

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    3.2mm +/- 0.4mm per year! Wow! Quick someone do the math for me, I live two blocks from the river, how long before I can build a dock??? Oh yeah I can't build one anyway, your not allowed because docks kill manatees. Of course this year was the higest manatee count of ALL time AND more manatees died from cold stress last year than ever before.
    Once again do we stop man made global warming and save the poor polar bears who are dying because it is too hot by making it cooler. OR do we save the manatees by letting it "get warmer" thus saving them from dying from cold stress?

The sky, she is falling........
    Actually I don't have an opinion on how serious the problem is, or what lengths we should go to in order to address it. But I do believe that releasing greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere has an effect on our weather. But there are lots of things that we can't control that has impact too, like sun spot activity or volcanic activity. You asked if sea levels were really rising. I provided you with a graph that shows that it is. In fact it's risen almost 8 inches in the last 100 years. Big deal, I guess. But the fact is it's rising, most likely due to expansion from increase in temperature.

Or maybe it hasn't...

Claim That Sea Level Is Rising Is a Total Fraud

http://www.climatechangefacts.info/C...rinterview.pdf

The fact is, you'll believe whatever you want to believe. I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mine. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    I think that would be particularly informative in tracking the backgrounds of the deniers.
    The guy who wrote the sea level denier article:

. Dr. Nils-Axel Morner, emeritus professor of paleogeophysics and geodynamics, Stockholm University, Sweden. Strong ties to the oil industry, and claims to be an expert in "dowsing." Connected to the anti-global warming group Natural Resources Stewardship Project.
    http://www.desmogblog.com/nils-axel-morner
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nils-Axel_M%C3%B6rner

Read more: http://www.thedailygreen.com/environ...#ixzz0fL82w2O1

. Dr. Nils-Axel Morner, emeritus professor of paleogeophysics and geodynamics, Stockholm University, Sweden. Strong ties to the oil industry, and claims to be an expert in "dowsing." Connected to the anti-global warming group Natural Resources Stewardship Project.
    http://www.desmogblog.com/nils-axel-morner
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nils-Axel_M%C3%B6rner

Read more: http://www.thedailygreen.com/environ...#ixzz0fL82w2O1
    Nils-Axel Morner

Morner, James Randi and "dowsing"

Morner claims to be an expert in "dowsing," the practice of finding water, metals, gemstones etc. through the use of a Y-shaped twig.

Morner's attempt to prove his dowsing abilities is chronicled by James Randi, the well-known myth buster, who has offered the longstanding One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge.

Research and Background

Morner is a retired professor from the University of Stockholm. According to a search of 22,000 academic journals, Morner has published 65+ original research papers in peer-reviewed journals, mainly in the area of paleoseismicity, in other words the study of historical earthquake activity.

Morner and the NRSP

Listed as an "allied expert" for a Canadian group called the "Natural Resource Stewardship Project," (NRSP) a lobby organization that refuses to disclose it's funding sources. The NRSP is led by executive director Tom Harris and Dr. Tim Ball. An Oct. 16, 2006 CanWest Global news article on who funds the NRSP, it states that "a confidentiality agreement doesn't allow him [Tom Harris] to say whether energy companies are funding his group."

DeSmog uncovered information that two of the three directors on the board of the Natural Resources Stewardship Project are registered energy industry lobbyists and senior executives of the High Park Advocacy Group, a Toronto-based lobby firm that specializes in “energy, environment and ethics.”
    Last edited by Buzz; 02-12-2010 at 10:49 AM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

I doubt that man caused the "problem" and equally sure he ain't gonna fix it.
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth