The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: World may not be warming, say scientists

Default World may not be warming, say scientists

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7026317.ece

http://tinyurl.com/yaql22r

The United Nations climate panel faces a new challenge with scientists casting doubt on its claim that global temperatures are rising inexorably because of human pollution.

In its last assessment the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) said the evidence that the world was warming was “unequivocal”.

It warned that greenhouse gases had already heated the world by 0.7C and that there could be 5C-6C more warming by 2100, with devastating impacts on humanity and wildlife. However, new research, including work by British scientists, is casting doubt on such claims. Some even suggest the world may not be warming much at all.

-more-

I feel a graph coming.........

Everyday something like this comes out, but still Henry shows us CO2 graphs..........

This is no different than the swine flu in the 70's, West nile virus, or swine flu in 2009. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon preaches doooooooom and makes money off it before it is exposed for what it is........nothing but fear placed in your mind so others can make money off of it.
    Last edited by badbullgator; 02-15-2010 at 06:31 AM.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

From Eric's citation:
    Kevin Trenberth, a lead author of the chapter of the IPCC report that deals with the observed temperature changes, said he accepted there were problems with the global thermometer record but these had been accounted for in the final report.

The way in which these "problems" were accounted for was not mentioned in the article.Wonder how they were "accounted for".

“It’s not just temperature rises that tell us the world is warming,” he said. “We also have physical changes like the fact that sea levels have risen around five inches since 1972, the Arctic icecap has declined by 40% and snow cover in the northern hemisphere has declined.
    Interesting, that we are now setting records for snow accumulation in many locations along the Mid-Atlantic. Haven't seen this much snow since the blizzard years of 94 and 95. However, not to worry, I read somewhere recently that this cold weather and heavy snow was just one side-effect of a global warming trend.

In 94 and 95 the heavy weather was blamed on El Nino (a known cyclical occurrence). Surprised that there has been no reference to El Nino at all now.

The issue would be, I think, weather warming or cooling, if the cause is not man's doing, I seriously doubt whether man can change it.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Like I've said many times before, its just as foolish to dismiss global climate change as it is to believe what the politicians tell us about it!

We need to let the legitimate scientific community study this issue, and come up with the best that they can. The planet isn't a big puppy dog that you can stick a thermometer under its tail and get a fairly accurate reading! (besides, how would you get that big thermometer to north Philly anyway?)

Using one winter's snow accumuations to gauge climate change is like finding a nickel in your sofa pillows, and calling your financial advisor exclaiming everything's changed! One year, ten years...are just blips.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    I feel a graph coming.........

Everyday something like this comes out, but still Henry shows us CO2 graphs..........

This is no different than the swine flu in the 70's, West nile virus, or swine flu in 2009. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon preaches doooooooom and makes money off it before it is exposed for what it is........nothing but fear placed in your mind so others can make money off of it.
    These are the same "hippies" that also gave us the "paraquat" scare in the 70's!!

rk
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    In 94 and 95 the heavy weather was blamed on El Nino (a known cyclical occurrence). Surprised that there has been no reference to El Nino at all now.
    I don't know what weather you've been listening to, but I've been hearing about El Nino since last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post

Of course something like this is coming out everyday. Why do you think that is? Could it have something to do with the fact that legislation passed in the house, and now opponents are slinging as much crap against the wall as they can to see what sticks?

I noticed that the author of the article used a very common journalistic tool. Put all the information that supports your point up front in the article, preferably in the first few paragraphs. Then anything that refutes it goes into the last few paragraphs. It's not unusual after-all for readers to lose interest before getting that far. Here are the last few paragraphs.

Kevin Trenberth, a lead author of the chapter of the IPCC report that deals with the observed temperature changes, said he accepted there were problems with the global thermometer record but these had been accounted for in the final report.

“It’s not just temperature rises that tell us the world is warming,” he said. “We also have physical changes like the fact that sea levels have risen around five inches since 1972, the Arctic icecap has declined by 40% and snow cover in the northern hemisphere has declined.”

The European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts has recently issued a new set of global temperature readings covering the past 30 years, with thermometer readings augmented by satellite data.

Dr Vicky Pope, head of climate change advice at the Met Office, said: “This new set of data confirms the trend towards rising global temperatures and suggest that, if anything, the world is warming even more quickly than we had thought.”
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

am i the only on e that remembers the headlines about the coming ice age of the late 70s early 80s i remember lines in the paper showing where the polar ice cap woul be in the years that followed it seems to me it should have been in chicago about now.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    ...The planet isn't a big puppy dog that you can stick a thermometer under its tail and get a fairly accurate reading! (besides, how would you get that big thermometer to north Philly anyway?)...
    why believe it is warming then?
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Will Time recycle (that noble activity of man) this story?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...944914,00.html
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The climate has been changing since the beginning of time. Man did not cause the ice age to end any more than the changes taking place today. Average temps are just that, there have always been extremes either way. I suspect that will continue well beyond our lifetimes.
    Bill Davis