The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Performance Tax

The NAB ( National Assn of Broadcasters) has their annual convention here the first week in April...I am opposed to any tax that restricts radio airplay in any way shape or form..it will be interesting to see how they view this issue...last year they were in fear of any fairness doctrine type of legislation...hmmm will have to play closer attention to this issue
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    The NAB ( National Assn of Broadcasters) has their annual convention here the first week in April...I am opposed to any tax that restricts radio airplay in any way shape or form..it will be interesting to see how they view this issue...last year they were in fear of any fairness doctrine type of legislation...hmmm will have to play closer attention to this issue
    I just read the today's trades online and there is nothing about a settlement.

Ah the NAB, went to one convention years ago in Atlanta. Boring group. They'll talk about electronic ratings/listener surveys and digital broadcasting but don't know how to dine or drink.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

if there's a lot more sports and talk radio, there will be fewer listeners.....-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    if there's a lot more sports and talk radio, there will be fewer listeners.....-Paul
    It is the threat of more talk and sports radio that will make he Record Labels and thier artist backoff. The Radio Industry will not pay more in Royalty fees.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

I tracked down my confusion. The bill I quoted is House Concurrent Resolution 49,which was mentioned in the article referenced by EdA.. This is supported by NABS and was introduced specifically to counter The Performance Rights Act, which is HR 848. The Performance Rights Act extends royalty fees paid by terrestial broadcasters. The bill was sponsored by Rep. Conyers and is co-sponsored by 49 members from both parties. It was introduced in March 2009 and reported by a sub-committee to the Judiciary Committee last May. H. Con. Res 49 was submitted on February 12, 2010 and is co-sponsored by 253 members, or a large majority of the Congress from both parties. It explicitly prohibits any new fees or taxes from being imposed on radio stations such as those provided in HR 848. The number of sponsors for H. Con. Res. 49 would seem to preclude any chance at all that HR 848 would be adopted.

As recorded music sales continue to decline all across the globe, radio may have to look at more News/Talk and Sports programming as a viable alternative.

I was just reading last night where little Birmingham, Al. now has two all Sports stations on FM. One an ESPN affiliate the other Fox Sports.

Both News/Talk and Sports are not well-rated stations across the country with the exception being WFAN, New York. WFAN is the top revenue generationing station in the USA.

Both of these formats ahve what we call in the industry top Power Ratios, share of audience compared to share of revenue. They exceed music radio in terms of revenue power ratios.

In our little town, our News/Talk and our all Sports station out earn most of the music stations, even those with 5 times as many listeners. Why? Because they have active listening as opposed to passive listening that many music stations have. Advertisers want to reach listeners that are engaged. Plus, with New/Talk, though a smaller audience, it is one with much more spending power.
    Last edited by Franco; 02-16-2010 at 08:51 AM.