The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Storage box for my Toyota Tacoma truck bed

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Shillabeer View Post
    I am very happy with my Toyota. Biggest complaint is that the paint chips easily. Could just be the red colour that has that issue?

BonMallari...I know the look you are referring to. Sometimes the back of the vehicle can look like a goat exploded!

The other feature of my set up that makes life much easier, is the vented wind doors on both sides, and the shape of the "Viewliner" canopy.

Does anyone have a solution for the locks on the canopy that freeze or seize up? I have to have one replaced. Unfortunately, I live in the city, so I have to lock and unlock my canopy. De-icer is a necessity, but now one of the locks has seized due to dirt/salt. There are plastic covers, but that is not helpful in the cold.

Mary
    Just about every truck I looked at with a cap had some kind of issue with the handles, and the rubber seal on the corners is another thing with caps.

All the trucks I drove with a cap also made more noise on bumpy roads.

I guess thats expected but when your buying a tuck it's not a comforting sound.

the after market caps like A.R.E. and Leer are far superior to the OEM ones you might find at a dealership..they slap the cheapest ones they can find and match up the paint so it looks like its OEM
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

The last truck I drove was a f150 with a leer cap and it sounded like it was bouncing around.

When I asked about it they opened the back and their was only 4 aluminum brackets holding it on. He said they should have 6?

This is the box I just built for my truck. The slots on the right are for my GU SOG launchers. It works good and saved me alot of money.

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Very nice. One suggestion......load your holding blinds with the pointed ends in first. I saw a dog get a nasty cut when he jumped into the back of his owner's truck and stabbed by the holding blind stakes. An ounce of prevention..........
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Wow, thanks for the suggestion Vicki! I would not have thought have that. The stakes are usually tucked further back. But putting them in the way they are, they are definitely an "accident waiting to happen"!

Mary

How do you get it to slide out? Are you using wheels? After seeing these designs, I am thinking about re-doing my drawer. I love the shelf idea for the wingers.

Carol

The whole bottom is a sheet of "puck board", the stuff used along the ice, on ice arenas. How appropriate as Canada is playing the US at the Olympics! Go CANADA! It is also referred to as "arena board" I goggled, and could not find a supplier in the US, but it is available at Home Depot here, so you might start there? It comes in 1/8" and 1/4". We used the 1/4".

We were going to make puck board "sliders" on the bottom of the drawers, but saved 1/2", by using the whole sheet. The drawers slide out very easily. The other benefit, is if water gets into the box of the truck, there is no warping of the puck board.

Cheers,
    Mary

I just got done building this for a snow goose trip next week. We didn't want the cab room taken up by the six guns and ammo. So I came up with this. 6 guns and 3 cases of ammo. You need to be a grizzly with a chop saw to get into it.

I asked the folks in Home Depot for puck board, and they looked at me like I was nuts! Any suggestions?