The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 124

Thread: Time To Legalize it?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    3,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    I'm gonna call BS.

    There are people that don't smoke it because it's bad or because they are told that it is bad. It has a stigma, or a taboo about it. After it is legal for a little while, it will lose that taboo and people who wouldn't have tried it before because it is illegal and 'bad' will now do so, because it has lost it's shock value.

    It's all about desensitization, the same as every other moral and ethical problem that we face as a society.
    That's BS.....

    Do you speed? EVER? Its illegal.....you most likely do it and if you say you DON"T, well frankly I don't believe that. WHY do you speed? Because you "want to"......

    Does the fact it is "illegal" stop you from it? Not likely.....

    The people that think it is "bad for you" are still gonna think its "bad".......

    Do you think making it illegal to smoke cigarettes will reduce its "usage"? Not likely.....

    Ever heard about Prohibition?? That's why they legalized it.....couldn't stop people from consuming so they legalized it and taxed the crap out of it. Same thing should happen for pot.

    WRL

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    3,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    When I wrote that, I had kids in mind. But I guess we should just let them have free reign and do whatever feels good, regardless of what is good for them. Kinda like legalizing kids 'sexting' in Vermont or where ever it was...

    Why do I sometimes wonder what is wrong with our society...it's so clear...
    HA HA HA>.....you can tell you are young and your kids are young.

    Its called PARENTING.....

    WRL

  3. #23
    Senior Member Koolaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NB, Canada
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    I'm gonna call BS.

    There are people that don't smoke it because it's bad or because they are told that it is bad. It has a stigma, or a taboo about it. After it is legal for a little while, it will lose that taboo and people who wouldn't have tried it before because it is illegal and 'bad' will now do so, because it has lost it's shock value.

    It's all about desensitization, the same as every other moral and ethical problem that we face as a society.
    The "stigma" is a lie. It has always been a lie. Even the old Reagan era studies that said it killed large amounts of brain cells were a lie. The idea isn't that we're making something bad suddenly legal. It's that we're making something that isn't that bad illegal.

    Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    When I wrote that, I had kids in mind. But I guess we should just let them have free reign and do whatever feels good, regardless of what is good for them. Kinda like legalizing kids 'sexting' in Vermont or where ever it was...

    Why do I sometimes wonder what is wrong with our society...it's so clear...
    Legalization doesn't mean they are handing it out in the schools. Having it under prohibition only makes it easier for kids to get. Drug dealers don't ask for your ID to check your age.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    There is a big difference between speeding and smoking pot, but if you don't see it, then I can't explain it to you.

    If it is legalized, I guaran damn tee you that usage will go up.


    And I think I'll ignore the parenting comment and not take it as the insult that it seems.

    We'll have to agree to disagree. Have a nice day.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koolaid View Post
    The "stigma" is a lie. It has always been a lie. Even the old Reagan era studies that said it killed large amounts of brain cells were a lie. The idea isn't that we're making something bad suddenly legal. It's that we're making something that isn't that bad illegal.

    I was friends with a girl in middle school that was the smartest kid in school. She should have been valedictorian in high school. Instead, she started hanging out with potheads and graduated with C's. I'm sure that her parents were proud.


    Legalization doesn't mean they are handing it out in the schools. Having it under prohibition only makes it easier for kids to get. Drug dealers don't ask for your ID to check your age.
    Do you think that drug dealers will just *poof* and go away if it becomes legal? If so, that idea is laughable at best...

  6. #26
    Senior Member Koolaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NB, Canada
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Personal experience isn't statistically significant. I hung out with potheads all the time in high school and I graduated #1 in my graduating class.

    Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Do you think that drug dealers will just *poof* and go away if it becomes legal? If so, that idea is laughable at best...
    Just as you believe use will go up, the amount of drug dealers would most certainly go down.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    3,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    There is a big difference between speeding and smoking pot, but if you don't see it, then I can't explain it to you.

    If it is legalized, I guaran damn tee you that usage will go up.


    And I think I'll ignore the parenting comment and not take it as the insult that it seems.

    We'll have to agree to disagree. Have a nice day.
    Is there? Both are illegal activities....

    The parenting comment is not an insult. You are overly sensitive. You are young, your kids are young.

    The values your children will have will for the most part come from YOU as a parent. But if you think you can "legislate" good behavior in children, you have a lot to learn.

    The first time one of your little ones steals something or lies or does something that they damn well know they should not.

    Its about teaching personal responsibilities.

    I personally have never smoked pot or tried any drugs. I won't use someone else's prescription even if its just really strong headache medicine.

    I also don't drink.

    But I am NOT into "saving someone from themselves"....that is what is wrong with society.

    You CHOSE to do something, you suffer the consequences. Plan and simple.

    I don't care what you do as long as it doesn't interfere with what I do. You can get drunk every night until you are stupid drunk. I don't care. Just don't drive drunk. You do, then you should get the book thrown at you.

    THAT simple concept is what will turn this country around whether it is politicians or citizens.

    Be accountable for your OWN ACTIONS...

    WRL

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    Be accountable for your OWN ACTIONS...

    I agree, 1,000,000%.

    That's all I am going to say.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    3,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Do you think that drug dealers will just *poof* and go away if it becomes legal? If so, that idea is laughable at best...
    Don't you? I don't see anyone walking the streets at night selling "fruit".....or cars...or cigarettes......

    Drug dealers get "customers" because those are the "stores" for illegal drugs.

    You start selling pot in the liquor stores and guess what? No need for people to walk the streets and back alleys looking for a drug dealer...they just go to the "pot store" and buy it during store hours.

    WRL

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    Don't you? I don't see anyone walking the streets at night selling "fruit".....or cars...or cigarettes......

    Drug dealers get "customers" because those are the "stores" for illegal drugs.

    You start selling pot in the liquor stores and guess what? No need for people to walk the streets and back alleys looking for a drug dealer...they just go to the "pot store" and buy it during store hours.

    WRL

    I thought earlier someone on this very thread said that it wasn't the back alleys and dark streets where you can buy it now. Which way is it?

    Hmmm. Let's think about this. You can go buy weed at the weed store for $10 plus all the ridiculous taxes that the govt will impose. OR....you could go to that 'back alley' (or not, depending on who you ask) and get it for $5(Like they already are). What's a pothead to do?

    edit- I know the prices aren't right, but I wouldn't know...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •