The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Time To Legalize it?

That was me who said it. I live in Canada. It's different up here. It has already been decriminalized, but we haven't gone all the way yet.

As for that...if it's legal you grow a plant in your garden. If I want cheap liquor I put on a batch of wine. I don't go find a bootlegger.

Quote Originally Posted by Koolaid View Post
    It's not like you have to walk into some sketchy part of town and worry for your life. I can walk up the street in any neighbor hood and pick up a bag.
    In Olympia, WA you can even buy from a member of the City Council.

http://www.theolympian.com/2010/02/2...r-charged.html

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    I thought earlier someone on this very thread said that it wasn't the back alleys and dark streets where you can buy it now. Which way is it?

Hmmm. Let's think about this. You can go buy weed at the weed store for $10 plus all the ridiculous taxes that the govt will impose. OR....you could go to that 'back alley' (or not, depending on who you ask) and get it for $5(Like they already are). What's a pothead to do?

edit- I know the prices aren't right, but I wouldn't know...
    You can buy it everywhere. BUT you are primarily going to buy it where the "buying" would be discrete. That's why they have undercover cops.

Well, got news for you. If its legal at $10 (plus tax) its likely they are paying $100 for it illegally. Drug dealers are the ultimate business men......buy low sell high.....

If its legal, and you are a "user", why not just go pull a pod off of one of your plants? Or have a friend bring over a joint when they come over to watch the game with you?

If the "gov't taxes" were such a hinderance, why isn't there more "black market" alcohol and tobacco outlets for them?

My boyfriend chews.....he pays like $7 a can for it. I would bet at least $4 is various taxes. But if it were illegal, the street rate would be 10x that amount I would bet.

WRL

I agree with Ducknwork that usage would increase if marijuana were legal. Even with taxation, I also suspect that legalization would bring prices down simply because of competition with home grown. It's a lot easier to grow "grass" than it is to brew moonshine of even grow a lawn. And while it was easy to buy grass with no difficulty at all when I was in college, it's a little more difficult now that I am 60+. In college, grass was delivered to my door much like pizza. But for liquor I had to walk a mile and then convince someone to buy for me. Today, I would much rather drop by the liquor store, especially since most of those selling grass are younger than my children. The combination of lower prices and greater convenience would definitely increase use. Despite this the benefit of legalization seem pretty compelling to me. Decriminalizing use is not sufficient. Saying that it is legal to have and use marijuana but illegal to sell it is simply idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Saying that it is legal to have and use marijuana but illegal to sell it is simply idiotic.

Correct. It just perpetuates the black market.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    You can buy it everywhere. BUT you are primarily going to buy it where the "buying" would be discrete. That's why they have undercover cops.

Well, got news for you. If its legal at $10 (plus tax) its likely they are paying $100 for it illegally. Drug dealers are the ultimate business men......buy low sell high.....

And the 'ultimate businessman' would probably sell his product at a price that it would sell at...So they would have to choose between selling under the legal price or finding some real work. Or just robbing your house and selling the stuff to a pawn shop. BTW, what do you base your opinion on that it would be more expensive to buy it off the street?

If its legal, and you are a "user", why not just go pull a pod off of one of your plants? Do you really think that if the govt is taxing pot sales, they will allow you to grow it for free in your yard? Oh...you mean like they don't mind if you make moonshine...gotcha.Or have a friend bring over a joint when they come over to watch the game with you?

If the "gov't taxes" were such a hinderance, why isn't there more "black market" alcohol and tobacco outlets for them?

I know plenty of folks that participate in the 'black market' for alcohol. Maybe not in the Pac NW, but in NC...some folks just gotta have that shine...

My boyfriend chews.....he pays like $7 a can for it. I would bet at least $4 is various taxes. But if it were illegal, the street rate would be 10x that amount I would bet. Why?

WRL

ducknwork,
    I don't want to come across as attacking your position, because you are certainly entitled to it, but do people get drunk and drive forklifts where you work? Alcohol is legal. If they don't drink and drive forklifts, why would they smoke pot and drive forklifts? Just curious as to the logic.

I find it interesting that most here support legalization. I think most of us would agree that this is mostly a conservative crowd, but most of us fall on the side of legalization. What does that say? I'm not sure, but it's something to think about. It seems that many of us who strongly disagree about foreign policy and most social issues are aligned on this one. Common ground?
    Matt McKenzie

It takes as long as it takes. Sometimes longer.

"It is better to own a $50,000 dog and have an old truck and crummy equipment than to own $50,000 worth of new equipment and a crummy dog..." EdA

Banned

Firstly, the chew would be considerably less because it is taxed extremely high. YOu can get it much cheaper on the Indian Res. If it were illegal, it reduces the "legal" avenues to obtain it. Therefore, less suppliers, higher price.

Why wouldn't the government allow you to grow it for free? Is it against the law to grow tobacco? Don't think so.

Would it be more expensive to buy it off the street? Maybe maybe not but the "illegal" avenues of obtaining it now is way more expensive then buying it currently from someone with a license to sell. Just not very many folks with a "license to sell".

WRL

Quote Originally Posted by Hookset View Post
    ducknwork,
    I find it interesting that most here support legalization. I think most of us would agree that this is mostly a conservative crowd, but most of us fall on the side of legalization. What does that say? I'm not sure, but it's something to think about. It seems that many of us who strongly disagree about foreign policy and most social issues are aligned on this one. Common ground?
    There is somewhat of a libertarian bent in this crowd. Fiscally conservative, socially "hands off". Foreign policy is another matter, but only the most dogmatic agree with 100% of any platform.

I'm gonna call BS.

There are people that don't smoke it because it's bad or because they are told that it is bad. It has a stigma, or a taboo about it. After it is legal for a little while, it will lose that taboo and people who wouldn't have tried it before because it is illegal and 'bad' will now do so, because it has lost it's shock value.

It's all about desensitization, the same as every other moral and ethical problem that we face as a society.
    Hmmmm....
    Smoking cigarettes is legal.
    I have no urge to run out and buy a pack of Marlboros just because I can.
    I don't know how anyone can look at the havoc that alcohol reaps on society, then think maryjane is a bad thing! Plus, its all natural, so it can't be bad, right?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!