The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: How Labradors are Supposed to Look? (pics)

Bump up, back to the top!
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Sad but true.
    When alot of people see my trap, they ask if he is a purebred, or ask what he is mixed with.
    They have only seen the short nosed, boxy head, short legged labs.
    I have to explain to them about the difference between a show dog, and a real working field line dog.

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    maybe its just me, but i see these dogs as in the middle, some from each side. i think the fields have gone thinner and more athletic that these examples and the show piggier. the difference is the show end did it deliberately, and the field line did it accidentally while focusing mostly on performance.

equal blame regards....
    You have to consider that many of today's (& yesterday's) field champions are & were in top shape for field work. Those very dogs with a little more weight would look virtually the same as those shown in the OP's pictures. The structure really hasn't changed but the lean conditioning required for success in today's field trials gives a thinner look. But in contrast, today's bench champs are shorter (most don't even meet the height std) that can hardly run & they have a greatly exaggerated block head (almost Rottweiler-like). But the result of today's bench "look" is that the dual champs, even the bench champs through the early 50s, would NOT be given any consideration today.

For those focused with the stock from which our Labrador came, it's really not relevant. The American Labrador stock was really not stable until the early 1900s - and it uniformly focused first upon the work to be done, i.e., form follows function. Once stable the breeding stock of the American Lab looked and looks very much like many of today's field champions. When some enthusiasts began to focus solely on the "look" of the breed is when it became, gradually OK to eliminate the physical traits required for field success. The same progression & separation of the breed that had occurred independently in England/UK & preceded the American split just served to accelerate the American separation with the use & acceptance of the English "look" as the primary breeding stock of American bench enthusiasts beginning in the 50s. And most importantly, this split or "look" focus, and particularly the exaggerated English look that was becoming prevalent, precluded the American Lab as it existed in the field from competing on the bench. Hence, the split was confirmed.
    Last edited by Granddaddy; 05-17-2013 at 09:09 AM.
    David Didier, GA

Great thread, and most impressed with the select specimen, a Black lab. By far the superior of all colors, that's why I joined the BLHC.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HRCH TilHe CallsUsHome ~ Tilly

"I clicked on this thread thinking I was going to see a bunch of labs with ducks in their mouths, Anyway, This is what I think a lab should look like"

I thought the same thing .....Great Pictures by the way and I do agree with last part of the quote ........Here is one of my favorites for sure

Quote Originally Posted by gaustin View Post
    "I clicked on this thread thinking I was going to see a bunch of labs with ducks in their mouths, Anyway, This is what I think a lab should look like"

I thought the same thing .....Great Pictures by the way and I do agree with last part of the quote ........Here is one of my favorites for sure

[IMG]http://

i208.ph

otobucket.com/albums/bb79/bjtackle/photo1_zpsec684ba4.jpg[/IMG]
    Wow nice picture. I happen to have that same one on my camera Then again I did share it online.
    Last edited by blackasmollases; 05-18-2013 at 07:50 PM.
    Black as mollases, call name Strap

Sire: Fc Afc Land ahoy "PIRATE"

Dam: Ten bears little bit "BUTTON"

Got that picture emailed to me, the KVHRC Spring Hunt Test was my first test. Didn't run a dog but worked as a gunner for the Started Dogs. Had the best seat in the house for the day ......Great Job on that "Shot of the Day"

Gregg Austin

Got that picture emailed to me, the KVHRC Spring Hunt Test was my first test. Didn't run a dog but worked as a gunner for the Started Dogs. Had the best seat in the house for the day ......Great Job on that "Shot of the Day"

Gregg Austin

Great job shooting, you didn't miss all day. That was a lucky shot of Laila. Thanks for working the test. We got our SHR that weekend.
    Black as mollases, call name Strap

Sire: Fc Afc Land ahoy "PIRATE"

Dam: Ten bears little bit "BUTTON"

She was sure fun to watch and at only 4 months old!! I got that pic as well emailed to me. In my opinion she stole the show that weekend.

Great pic, blackasmollases as well as the other ones you got of my dog. Thanks for the pics and congrats on the SHR for you and Strap. You may have a future in photography.......lol.