The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: How Labradors are Supposed to Look? (pics)

Quote Originally Posted by AmiableLabs View Post
    It was revised as recently as 1994. Most changes have been for explanation purposes, few have been substantive. The substantive change in 1994 was related to size.

The problem with that argument is that the standard is open to interpretation. When the authors wrote "athletic," to conformation breeders today that says something completely different when they read it. If the authors envisioned the dogs pictured when they first wrote it, I believe they would be horrified by what wins in the conformation ring today.
    Thank you for the clarification. Based on comments from the show side, I thought the changes were greater than that.

Also, thank you for posting this information. This way, I will now have some reference (and pictures) whenever I decide to antagonize the show breed nuts (not all of you, just some on another particular forum) that argue that the Westminster winner this year was all muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    I'm sure everyone gets tired of my posting this picture but as long as there is debate over the breed std I will continue to remind everyone that our field dogs today look much more like the DCs of 50-60 yrs ago than the bench dogs of today.
    I agree. I love their looks, and they all have snouts, unlike some of the ring winners today.
    Terry "Bud" Cunningham
    Kankakee River HRC

I do not believe that substantial change was made in the 30's...no where have I seen the
    Rottie head on any labs from earlier times nor do want to see it now...

I own a male out of Blackwater Rudy on one side and Watermarks the Boss on the other. He so reminds me of Light Brigade (I think that it is the old lines showing through) and inevidiably someone comes up to ask about his pedigree. He also reminds me of the labs that we bought in the 60's...I still favor that old look.

(PS...please ignor my misspellings and typos...I am under the influence from TKR surgery last week)
    When it quits being fun...we retire!

Nancy Neipert with
    Skeeter, my avatar (Deepwoods Off and Fly'n High, MH, MNH, MN09,10, 11.
    Gypsy (Windigo Deja Voodoo Gypsy Pearl, D List, QAA, MH) MN10 & to MD11
    Mary (Stellars Proud Mary) first Lean Mac dog
    Ted (Deepwoods Spirit of the Wild), now the baby & Suzie's grandson...
    Suzie (Watermarks Slough Foot Sue, MH, 2000-2011 - Farewell dear companion)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parker View Post
    I think the show labs are bred the way they are because that's what the general public wants most of them just want a house dog so for the breeders it's all about selling puppies.
    Scott,

That is NOT the impression I get from the folks contacting me. Some are 2000 miles away who contact me because they can't seem to find the look they want in a PET. Because of some of these boards, I can often refer them to breeders closer, thankfully! Anne

Tank and Lottie. that is a WHOLE LOT of dog in that picture
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I hope the OP doesn't mind, I have a collection of English Dual Ch photos that I can add to this conversation, as well as a couple of American firsts. Give me a moment, there will have to be several posts due to the number of photos.

DC Banchory Bolo

DC Banchory Sunspeck

DC Titus of Whitmore

DC Bramshaw Bob

DC Banchory Painter

DC Lochar Nessie

3 more Dual Champions from England:

DC Staindrop Saighdear

DC Rockstead Footspark

DC Knaith Banjo

American Firsts:

The First American CH Labrador (artist rendering)

The First American DC Labrador

The First American "Best in Show" Labrador
    Last edited by Ironman; 02-25-2010 at 03:21 PM.

Anyway, there they are. A great line up of who's who from the early history of the Labrador retriever. I can't help but notice that none of these dogs look much like what is winning in the Show ring today. I do see a closer similarity to the Field labs in type and structure, though not as exaggerated like some of today's field labs. Nice moderate dogs IMHO, I just wish there were more emphasis on producing this kind of Lab instead of the divergent movement we see that only seems to be widening the gap between field and show.
    Great topic!

This has been a great thread. Thank you to all who have posted many pictures of all wonderful looking Labs.