The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How Labradors are Supposed to Look? (pics)

I just did a Google search on NFC Banchory Night Light of Wingan who was born Jan 1, 1932. It was a male which surprised me as the head study looks feminine to me. Probably because I have bitches who seem to me to have a striking resemblance. See my avatar. That's Ruby.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AmiableLabs View Post
    Brilliant! I salute you sir!
    Sorry Kevin,,, The more moderate show labs work just fine.. I can provide examples...

What dog have you competed or bred that fits the breed standard and is "working"? Lately,,, Don't open that can of worms...

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    Sorry Kevin,,, The more moderate show labs work just fine.. I can provide examples...
    That does not contradict the comment gsc made that I replied to with a salute.

Go back and show where he was wrong.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Quote Originally Posted by AmiableLabs View Post
    'I think that is truly the only way to bridge the gap. Get a whole bunch of moderate dogs and enter in shows. The judges can only put up what they have to judge and if all they have waddles, then that's what we get. Were we to actually try this it would have to be more than a flash in the pan, but week after week at the shows, realizing that it is like throwing money away as the chances are not high of winning. But under the right non-breeder judge I think they would put up a true moderate lab that fit the standard if there were enough entering and not going away. Could very well save our breed from the chasm of type that seem to continue to widen year in and year out.'

It wouldn't work. The judge is allowed to withhold placements and excuse dogs for "lack of merit."

The judges need to be re-educated, and that isn't going to happen until there is a reasonable amount of unanimity between field and show people on proper type.

A more likely outcome would be for the LRC to petition the AKC to acknowledge the differences between the two such that they would not have to compete against each other in the show ring. Field-bred would compete against field-bred, and show-bred against show-bred. But there is no sign that will happen.
    Dogs don't get excused for lack of merit just because they are moderate in build. There are moderately built show labs, and sometimes they even win! Not that it wouldn't be nice if there were more of them to make the few look less out of place. Here's mine;Showphoto.jpg

Now that's a nice looking Lab!

I've said it before, it's hilarious to me that field bred dogs don't do well at dog shows because "they don't have the correct form to be able to do things they excell at doing their whole lives." Can't swim without that otter tail, can't run very far without that deep chest and extra "muscle."

The show bred dogs are built perfectly to do things they don't want to do.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Al McKean had a young dog he sold to Blair Down that I thought to be very representative of what a dog should look like, never saw him perform but Rorem had him as a performer. Roy McFall also had a dog that was representative - I believe it was Jaguar, Howard would know that one.

Looking at the pictures they resemble Carbon & Chopper to some extent, I always (personal preference) preferred a dog more on the line of Watergator Sam, more agile, slightly smaller & tend to hold up better over the long haul. Though I only saw Super Chief once at the McCall National Am I always felt him to be a little too chesty, but many of the Paha Sapa Chief (his sire) line , were very nice looking dogs. But definitely in the in the longer muzzle class rather than the hound style muzzle.

There aren't many really good otter tails any more & usually on a poor performer, but that's about the last thing most are looking for in a performance dog. As for coats, they seem to be an area thing, hot weather does not contribute to a luxurious coat.

I have always considered smooth gaited frame & agility under 80 lbs, preferably 70ish as the ideal lab. The other stuff is a bonus , Martens Black Powder Kate comes to mind!!!!

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Thanks Amiablelabs for sharing those pictures and creating this post.
    Very interesting!
    Alain Jetté
    AJTOP RETRIEVER
    www.ajtop.com

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

I kind of like this look in a Lab........
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

I clicked on this thread thinking I was going to see a bunch of labs with ducks in their mouths, Anyway, This is what I think a lab should look like