The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: How Labradors are Supposed to Look? (pics)

I hope you post a win pic
    Laurie Thompson
    BriarField Kennels, Dunlap TN

Miss Mabel Marshdog CGC, TDI certified, canine blood donor (Lab, retired)
    Kerrybrooks That's A Fact Jack JH, RN (Lab)
    Int'l Ch Snips Tennessee Jed SH, NAVHDA NA pz 1(GSP)
    CH Briarfields Autumn Connection JH, NAVHDA NA Ps 2(GSP)

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    He's got a pedigree to match his looks!! But unfortunately for me he's an EIC carrier. I would have loved to have used him. I love his pedigree..

Angie
    Do you only breed to dogs that are EIC/CNM clear?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff evans View Post
    I'm sure Angie probably just meant her bitch is a carrier so she can't breed to another carrier in good faith.

BTW, Go Cougs, indeed!
    2X WAZZU grad regards, Julie
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

I've always wondered why folks on these threads (any forum) only go back to the 1930's-1950's for photos when the origins of the breed were so much farther back than that?

Since one can't really get a good feeling of a dog's working ability by looking at a photograph (it isn't that hard to get a photo with a duck in a dog's mouth, even if s/he isn't a good dog in the field), this is of course with regard to conformation only. I know these dogs are laying down, which is even worse for assessing structure than sitting and facing a camera, but look at those heads and coats! I *LOVE* a beautiful head and a good well-wrapped double coat.

BTW, these photos are from 1856 and 1889 respectively.
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jeff evans View Post
    Only when my bitch is a carrier for the same disease... If she was clear I would use Alley all day long..

An awesome dog!!

Angie

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindogs View Post
    I hope you post a win pic
    Me Too!!! Thanks...

Angie

Montview,

This is a pic of CH Sandyland's Tweed of Blaircourt.

A grandson of Bucceleuch Avon, The second dog in your in your post.

P.S. Avon was Chocolate and yellow factored. Said to be the source of the chocolate gene in the USA. Sirca 1885 ish.
    Last edited by Rnd; 12-19-2012 at 11:14 PM. Reason: added P.S.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by Montview View Post
    I've always wondered why folks on these threads (any forum) only go back to the 1930's-1950's for photos when the origins of the breed were so much farther back than that?

Since one can't really get a good feeling of a dog's working ability by looking at a photograph (it isn't that hard to get a photo with a duck in a dog's mouth, even if s/he isn't a good dog in the field), this is of course with regard to conformation only. I know these dogs are laying down, which is even worse for assessing structure than sitting and facing a camera, but look at those heads and coats! I *LOVE* a beautiful head and a good well-wrapped double coat.

BTW, these photos are from 1856 and 1889 respectively.
    Montview,

Great Point! I love the looks of these dogs too. Nell and Avon show how much things have changed from the Lab's beginnings as the St. John's waterdog. It didn't just occur in the 1950's and 1960's either. The 1920's and 30's photos shown earlier in this thread don't show dogs with the same dense coat, substance, or quality of head that is shown in these early pictures. Interbreeding during the late 19th and early 20th century brought outside blood into the waterdog genepool diluting the true type which had been developed on Newfoundland since the English began fishing with dogs in the late 1490's.

It's a shame we don't have a strain of Lab that retains these early traits. I'd love to have a kennel filled with Avon and his contemporaries!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post

Montview,

This is a pic of CH Sandyland's Tweed of Blaircourt.

A grandson of Bucceleuch Avon, The second dog in your in your post.

P.S. Avon was Chocolate and yellow factored. Said to be the source of the chocolate gene in the USA. Sirca 1885 ish.
    Rnd,

Sandyland Tweed of Blaircourt WAS NOT a grandson of Avon! In Helen Warwick's The NEW Complete Labrador Retriever the pedigree for him is shown on page 73. Avon doesn't show up in four generations. In fact, on page 72 under his picture the author states that Sandyland's Tweed of Blaircourt is an "outstanding contemporary sire". The book's first printing was in 1964. The dog you show is from the 1960's while Avon was from the 1880's. They are a bunch of generations removed from one another!

As to Avon being a chocolate Lab, I have never read such a thing and I have read all that I can find concerning the origins and early history of the breed. He looks like a black to me in every way. If you can find any credible published reference saying he was a chocolate I'd be very interested in seeing it.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Quote Originally Posted by Swack View Post
    Rnd,

Sandyland Tweed of Blaircourt WAS NOT a grandson of Avon! In Helen Warwick's The NEW Complete Labrador Retriever the pedigree for him is shown on page 73. Avon doesn't show up in four generations. In fact, on page 72 under his picture the author states that Sandyland's Tweed of Blaircourt is an "outstanding contemporary sire". The book's first printing was in 1964. The dog you show is from the 1960's while Avon was from the 1880's. They are a bunch of generations removed from one another!

As to Avon being a chocolate Lab, I have never read such a thing and I have read all that I can find concerning the origins and early history of the breed. He looks like a black to me in every way. If you can find any credible published reference saying he was a chocolate I'd be very interested in seeing it.

Swack

Slow down Swack

: Reading comprehension skills.

I said he was Chocolate and yellow factored. Not Chocolate.

Edit: You are correct that he is not a grandson but, can be traced back to Avon. The pic is indeed a 1958 photo. AVON was circa 1885

Thank god it's almost the end of the year... I only make one mistake a year
    Last edited by Rnd; 12-20-2012 at 12:17 AM.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA