The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: How Labradors are Supposed to Look? (pics)

I wonder if the FT people are to blame in part because as the FT's became progressively harder over the years the show dogs could no longer compete unless they changed there standard and thus gave up and went there own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    I doubt that any of the dogs pictured could be and FC or a CH today, much less both.
    I agree on the CH but I wouldn't doubt that they could be competitive today.
    Terry "Bud" Cunningham
    Kankakee River HRC

Ironman,

According to Wolters in his book I quoted above we have to differentiate somewhat between British field-breds (which included DCs at the time) and American of the same. Back then, while our trials were similar to over the pond, our hunting was different. The British emphasis was on upland, the American on waterfowl. This is also why Carlisle felt a need, even back in 1936, to argue that there should not be any difference between trial and hunting dogs. It was becoming a concern.

That Ch. Earlsmoor Moor of Arden is a handsome, HANDSOME dog! I am old enough to remember some show Labs from the 1960s that still looked like that.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parker View Post
    I wonder if the FT people are to blame in part because as the FT's became progressively harder over the years the show dogs could no longer compete unless they changed there standard and thus gave up and went there own way.
    Did you even read my first post? Why do you think Wolters was mistaken in his reasoning?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post
    I agree on the CH but I wouldn't doubt that they could be competitive today.
    I was thinking the same thing.

That is another debate we have around here frequently, and the consensus is, while we never will know for sure, it is quite likely to the great dogs back then would likely be great dogs now.
    Kevin Walker

I don't mean to pick a fight here, but, is my perception that the West Coast seems to have better conformation in their performance dogs, as a whole, then elsewhere in the country off base? I have in mind Barracuda Blue and Cuda's Blue Ryder. Then there are the Merganser dogs, for instance.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 02-26-2010 at 07:44 AM.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    I don't mean to pick a fight here, but, is my perception that the West Coast seems to have better conformation in their performance dogs, as a whole, then elsewhere in the country off base? I have in Barracuda Blue and Cuda's Blue Ryder. Then there are the Merganser dogs, for instance.
    That sounds like a good idea for a new thread!
    Kevin Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Losthwy View Post
    Interesting bit of history. I have NEVER thought the Lab "Breed Standard" found in today's show ring was an attractive dog. Much prefer an athletic dog which the show ring does not encourage or represent. AKC can take the current Breed Standard and stick it......er......on the dark side of the moon. And the history of how the show ring got away from athletic dogs to short tails, short legs, big heads and over weight animals is very interesting. I'll take a dog that looks like Super Chief everytime. Now that was a nice looking dog!

Here is a couple pics of Super Chief I found on the net (hope its ok)!

I agree on the assessment of Moor of Arden, looks to actually fit the Labrador Retriever Breed Standard quite well IMO, not over done, not snipey, just moderate!
    I recognize the 9 DC's are UK, not US, however most of these UK dogs are close, if not directly behind the first US show and field champions. So the difference was not so much in type, but rather the emphasis of the trial they competed in as was pointed out.

Someone mentioned field trials getting harder possibly playing into this split. I think there may be some truth behind that. Here is an excerpt from Sprake 1933.
    A few years ago the suggestion that retrievers must be specially trained to win at a Field Trial may have contained a grain of truth, but nowadays the majority of judges esteem a competitor's worth entirely from a shooting man's point of view, and it is quite usual for a dog which has not competed previously to win a Stake at a Field Trial; and those of us who are interested in Field Trials can only wish that the ordinary shooting man would realize this fact, and be encouraged to enter his dog-which has proved his competence in the shooting field-at a Field Trial.
    This is again from the English perspective, but it was generally this kind of level that all the DC's posted won their Filed Championship. A first time, minimally trained dog that shows up and can finish the event, is what we see with Junior Hunters at hunt tests in the US today. Maybe it is apple to oranges with the US and the UK, but in the 1930's when the Lab started to get a foot hold here in the US, the dogs themselves and level of events they ran seem to have been similar.

That Ch. Earlsmoor Moor of Arden is a handsome, HANDSOME dog! I am old enough to remember some show Labs from the 1960s that still looked like that.
    That's what I thought too. He looks like I think labs should look like. Then, I got to thinking, he's pictured here with a bunch of DC's. I'm wondering if he wasn't all beauty and no brains. Guess I'll never know.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post

Tank and Lottie. that is a WHOLE LOT of dog in that picture

Tank had to be one of the best looking labs ever.