The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: How Labradors are Supposed to Look? (pics)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parker View Post
    I wonder if the FT people are to blame in part because as the FT's became progressively harder over the years the show dogs could no longer compete unless they changed there standard and thus gave up and went there own way.
    There are still plenty of great looking labs (by 30's to 70's standards) running trials today. You are hard pressed to find show labs that have the structure to work, despite everyone's claims to the contrary. The show people haven't convinced me they understand form and function yet despite all the lines and angles that draw on pictures.

You are hard pressed to find show labs that have the structure to work, despite everyone's claims to the contrary. The show people haven't convinced me they understand form and function yet despite all the lines and angles that draw on pictures.
    Ya think?
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

pretty much all (lab) show people understand is that they need a dog which follows the type of what is popular and what wins in the ring......In the end, it is the judges who put up the overweight, short legged labrador. I'd love to see a show overrun with a bunch of field bred labs, whose conformation is more true to the type of 'yesteryear'....

One thing the show folks DO have going for them is a 'truly' proper coat...something which I have noticed a LOT of field bred labs are missing.
    Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Juli H View Post

One thing the show folks DO have going for them is a 'truly' proper coat...something which I have noticed a LOT of field bred labs are missing.
    Juli
    I agree. My field bred dog totally lacks undercoat. His coat is beautifully glossy and shiny, and I live on the we(s)t side of the state so it doesn't get too cold, but he wouldn't hold up in a really cold climate. My halfer does have a nice coat, and he seems neither too hot or too cold ever.

I have seen a decent number of field dogs with coat, but they tend to be of the same lines so someone is doing it right.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

My field bred dog has a nice coat, but I'd sure like to get that tail back in the breed. Tank is back there in his pedigree. 4 generations back.

Gay tail regards,
    Terry Moseley
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Juli H View Post
    ...In the end, it is the judges who put up the overweight, short legged labrador. I'd love to see a show overrun with a bunch of field bred labs, whose conformation is more true to the type of 'yesteryear'....
    I think that is truly the only way to bridge the gap. Get a whole bunch of moderate dogs and enter in shows. The judges can only put up what they have to judge and if all they have waddles, then that's what we get. Were we to actually try this it would have to be more than a flash in the pan, but week after week at the shows, realizing that it is like throwing money away as the chances are not high of winning. But under the right non-breeder judge I think they would put up a true moderate lab that fit the standard if there were enough entering and not going away. Could very well save our breed from the chasm of type that seem to continue to widen year in and year out.

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    maybe its just me, but i see these dogs as in the middle, some from each side. i think the fields have gone thinner and more athletic that these examples and the show piggier. the difference is the show end did it deliberately, and the field line did it accidentally while focusing mostly on performance.

equal blame regards....
    While I agree for the most part with the above perspective...I'm not so sure that the "blame" as it were, is equal.

When you soley breed based on physical appearance..You're cognitively manipultating the results as far as physical appearance is concerned irregardless of physical ability and known undesirable traits genetic and otherwise....When you breed for preformance traits you are also making a cognitive choice based on desired performace in both physical as well as mental ability. In both cases you're intention is to manipulate the outcome. However, I feel the more "risky" route in terms of "bettering the breed" Is the one where appearnce takes center stage.

Conversely, this could be argued with the recent emergence of EIC and other performance driven maladies
    Last edited by David Lo Buono; 02-25-2010 at 07:09 PM.
    HOLD FAST
    Winter is coming
    Home of:
    A meat dawg with some letters after his name

Quote Originally Posted by keskam View Post
    Here is a couple pics of Super Chief I found on the net (hope its ok)!

Thanks for the photos.
    I do believe the current show standard is doing an injustice to the Labrador. It really is a tragedy what they have done. What will a CH look like in 20 years? A large PUG?
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    I think that is truly the only way to bridge the gap. Get a whole bunch of moderate dogs and enter in shows. The judges can only put up what they have to judge and if all they have waddles, then that's what we get.
    It wouldn't work. The judge is allowed to withhold placements and excuse dogs for "lack of merit."

The judges need to be re-educated, and that isn't going to happen until there is a reasonable amount of unanimity between field and show people on proper type.

A more likely outcome would be for the LRC to petition the AKC to acknowledge the differences between the two such that they would not have to compete against each other in the show ring. Field-bred would compete against field-bred, and show-bred against show-bred. But there is no sign that will happen.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

from my limited research there are at least 3 dogs in the RHOF that are Dual CH...including this beautiful gal...a multi National Finalist, and double header winner..and may have been the last to capture the Dual titles

Dual Ch.AFC Royal Oaks Jill of Burgundy

owned and handled by Lanse Brown
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"