The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Al Gore is Gone Gone

I generally stay out of anything having to do with Al Gore since he is not a scientist and adds only to the politics of global warming, not the science (much like everyone on FoxNews, and all members of the RW blogosphere). But, llest someone actually believe that he has been less than present over the last three months, this is yesterday's op ed by Gore in the NY Times:

We Can't Wish Away Climate Change February 27, 2010

"It would be an enormous relief if the recent attacks on the science of global warming actually indicated that we do not face an unimaginable calamity requiring large-scale, preventive measures to protect human civilization as we know it."

"Of course, we would still need to deal with the national security risks of our growing dependence on a global oil market dominated by dwindling reserves in the most unstable region of the world, and the economic risks of sending hundreds of billions of dollars a year overseas in return for that oil. And we would still trail China in the race to develop smart grids, fast trains, solar power, wind, geothermal and other renewable sources of energy the most important sources of new jobs in the 21st century."

"But what a burden would be lifted! We would no longer have to worry that our grandchildren would one day look back on us as a criminal generation that had selfishly and blithely ignored clear warnings that their fate was in our hands. We could instead celebrate the naysayers who had doggedly persisted in proving that every major National Academy of Sciences report on climate change had simply made a huge mistake."

[full piece at http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/op...er=rss&emc=rss]

And, of course, as FoxNews pretends that recent snowfalls contradict evidence of warmng in some manner, we have news like this from Alaska (http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...956932,00.html) where evidence suggests that satellite images have significantly understated the degree of ice loss.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    I generally stay out of anything having to do with Al Gore since he is not a scientist and adds only to the politics of global warming, not the science (much like everyone on FoxNews, and all members of the RW blogosphere).
    Very true. Al Gore is to global warming what Mark Sanford is to republican family values! As much as either side would like to crown these two men as pillars of their cause to discredit an opposing view, it just ain't valid!

Both men, wrong as they may be, put the issue at the forefront of discussion, which isn't a bad thing.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

[QUOTEIf someone questions wants to suggest that CO2 concentrations have not risen to levels not seen in thousands of years then I will post the fact[/QUOTE]

what caused it to rise a thousand years ago?

P

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Once again, it's time for you all to renew your memberships in The Flat Earth Society.

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djubl...rthsociety.htm
    you have been duped.

want to buy a bridge?
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I generally stay out of anything having to do with Al Gore since he is not a scientist and adds only to the politics of global warming, not the science (much like everyone on FoxNews, and all members of the RW blogosphere). But, llest someone actually believe that he has been less than present over the last three months, this is yesterday's op ed by Gore in the NY Times:

"It would be an enormous relief if the recent attacks on the science of global warming actually indicated that we do not face an unimaginable calamity requiring large-scale, preventive measures to protect human civilization as we know it."

"Of course, we would still need to deal with the national security risks of our growing dependence on a global oil market dominated by dwindling reserves in the most unstable region of the world, and the economic risks of sending hundreds of billions of dollars a year overseas in return for that oil. And we would still trail China in the race to develop smart grids, fast trains, solar power, wind, geothermal and other renewable sources of energy the most important sources of new jobs in the 21st century."

"But what a burden would be lifted! We would no longer have to worry that our grandchildren would one day look back on us as a criminal generation that had selfishly and blithely ignored clear warnings that their fate was in our hands. We could instead celebrate the naysayers who had doggedly persisted in proving that every major National Academy of Sciences report on climate change had simply made a huge mistake."

And, of course, as FoxNews pretends that recent snowfalls contradict evidence of warmng in some manner, we have news like this from Alaska (http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...956932,00.html) where evidence suggests that satellite images have significantly understated the degree of ice loss.
    Ca Ching!! Rake up another billion for Big Al. This guy is a bigger crook than the original Big Al.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

First we must have faith that the earth is truly in a long-term global warming trend, not just one of its natural short-term climate changes;

Second, we must have faith that the rise in CO2 levels is the cause;

Third, we must have faith that man has caused these disruptions of normal trends.

Only if all 3 are accurate can we have faith that we can actually impact the trend.

In the end, it all boils down to what people can afford. Oil increased in price, so people resorted to more heat pumps (electric), wood stoves, coal stoves, pellet stoves. Most could not afford changing to wind power or geothermal solutions. Even the solar solutions available for residential use are expensive.

I'm all for finding ways to make us less dependent on fossil fuels. I see no disadvantage to switching over to renewable energy forms. Home heating and cooling should be first as those uses do not require "portability" (as would be needed for motor vehicles).

Govt has had many years (since Carter) to implement methods of making the US less dependent on fossil fuel. Millions of dollars (hundreds of millions?) spent on an agency that was supposed to do that. What have they accomplished? What faith can we place govt to do any better with managing global climate change?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    [QUOTEIf someone questions wants to suggest that CO2 concentrations have not risen to levels not seen in thousands of years then I will post the fact
    what caused it to rise a thousand years ago?

P[/QUOTE]

Volcanic eruptions could be the cause. Large meteorite? If you're truly curious, there's a whole world of research out there. Its not so much the levels, but the RATE OF CHANGE that is unnatural. Can you explain that? I can't. But I'm not willing to disregard the warnings of the majority of climatologists because of a disingenuous politician and a lot of political rhetoric.

If I could find the numerous threads from before, I'd cut and paste what I said.....to discount global warming entirely is just as foolish as to believe everything Al Gore says about it.... Both sides in that argument are politicians and profiteers....not scientists.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

[QUOTE]Its not so much the levels, but the RATE OF CHANGE that is unnatural. Can you explain that? I can't.
    QUOTE]

I cant explain much of anything. And I know about as much about global warming as you do.
    But I do know according to scientific charts ,climate has been changing by increase and decrease of temperature fluxuations since the beggining of time.

Only now we have figured out who we can blame it on and look like we're smart.

I have very little trust in most science now a days because most of it is driven by money. And money corrupts.
    Yesterday coffee will kill you ,,today it prevents cancer,,and tommarro it will be the major factor in global climate change.

I think new the age intellectual idiots who cry the sky is falling should fly to the sun and fix the solar flairs. I know, I know, those are our fault too.

p

He can write an article to further line his pockets but is unavailable (I mean too busy) to answer questions from the Senate.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    He can write an article to further line his pockets but is unavailable (I mean too busy) to answer questions from the Senate.
    Kinda like Dick Cheney and his energy policy, eh?