The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Al Gore is Gone Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Can you pick out the one quote among the five that was made by our High Priest, Algore?

1) "Isn't the only hope for the planet that the industrialized civilizations collapse? Isn't it our responsibility to bring this about?"

2) "We must make this an insecure and inhospitable place for capitalists and their projects. We must reclaim the roads and plowed land, halt dam construction, tear down existing dams, free shackled rivers and return to wilderness millions of acres of presently settled land."

3) "Our insatiable drive to rummage deep beneath the surface of the earth is a willful expansion of our dysfunctional civilization into Nature."

4) "I suspect that eradicating small pox was wrong. It played an important part in balancing our ecosystems."

5) "We've got to ride this global warming issue. Even if the theory of global warming is wrong, we will be doing the right thing in terms of economic and environmental policy."

Choose quickly because we've only got 1766 days before global warming becomes irreversable. The planet has a fever
    Well, we know it's not the first one. That was attributed to Maurice Strongs and is routinely quoted in the manner that you have here based on a broadcast by Rush limbaugh. Of course, the original quote came from a magazine interview where Strong was describing a hypothetical conspiracy novel that he would like to write, not from some cabalistic recommendation he was making.

The second is attrubted to Helen Caldicott, an Australian physician, author and lecturer whose main focus is opposition to nuclear energy. She actually is known for attacking global warming activists since some favor nuclear energy because of its relatively small carbon footprint.

The third quote is the one attributed to Gore from his book "Earth in the Balance". Of course, the only problem is that the "quote" is a carefully edited, out of sequence citation of a much longer statement. The actual page of the book containing the "quote" is at http://books.google.com/books?id=QDb...age&q=&f=false. The full quote would be:

"Our insatiable drive to rummage deep beneath the surface of the earth, remove all of the coal, petroleum, and other fossil fuels we can find, then burn them as quickly as they are found -- in the process filling the atmosphere with carbon dioxide and other pollutants -- is a willful expansion of our dysfunctional civilization into vulnerable parts of the natural world. [Nature] Obviously, this is still a pretty harsh statement, but gives a little more context to the misquote used on conservative blogs.

Number 4 is from John Davis, former editor of Earth First Journal, voice of a radical environmental group that he later left.

Number 5 is attributed (by conservative blogs) to former Senator Tim Wirth. However, as with most of these quotes, there is no real source cited to verify if the quote is taken in context or, like the Gore quote, artfully edited to support the biases of the quoters.

A couple of recent articles - From Scientific American, March 2010 "The Moon That Would Be A Planet" about Titan, Saturn's largest natural satellite with it's earth like features.

& the writeup on the fault in Chile - the two plates that are overlapping each other are doing so at the rate of 3 1/2 inches per year. Anyone care to compute the ft/lbs of energy required to accomplish that? Having a little experience with rockburst's in mines, what happened in Chile is very significant.

I only bring these up as I believe what's happening in GW is a little like urinating into the wind, it's gonna end up all over us with precious little to show for the effort, except a much lighter wallet.

IMO, we need to do those cost effective little things we can, recognizing that effort is going to be insignificant compared to what nature is predestined to create.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Biographies

J. Charles Smith is executive director of the Utility Wind Integration Group (UWIG) in Reston, Virginia.

Robert Thresher is a research fellow at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) in Golden, Colorado.

Robert Zavadil is vice president and principal consultant with EnerNex Corporation in Knoxville, Tennessee.

Edgar DeMeo is president of Renewable Energy Consulting Services in Palo Alto, California.

Richard Piwko is director of energy consulting with GE Energy in Schenectady, New York.

Bernhard Ernst is with RWE Transportnetz Strom GmbH (RWE TSO) in Brauwiler, Germany.

Thomas Ackermann is chief executive officer of Energynautics GmbH in Langen, Germany.
    Wow. That's amazing. A bunch of wind energy consultants agree that wind energy might be able to provide 20% of our energy needs in 20 years. How hard would you laugh if I copied a portion of an article touting the future of fossil fuels that was written by fossil fuel consultants? Pretty hard I'm guessing.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    Wow. That's amazing. A bunch of wind energy consultants agree that wind energy might be able to provide 20% of our energy needs in 20 years. How hard would you laugh if I copied a portion of an article touting the future of fossil fuels that was written by fossil fuel consultants? Pretty hard I'm guessing.

If they were talking about the future of non-fossil fuel energy sources, yes I would laugh. If they were talking about their own industry, it depends.

Guess who publishes articles in industry professional journals and magazines. Industry experts possibly?
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Guess who publishes articles in industry professional journals and magazines. Industry experts possibly?
    Touche.

I was a relative ham and egger in the scientific field I was once involved in and even I had an article published in an industry journal and presented a paper at a national convention. That didn't make me an expert. Every writer has an axe to grind and every publisher needs to fill column space.

PS...I didn't see any PhD's or P.E.'s behind any of those expert's names in your article. Those guys may or may not be the tops in their field...I wouldn't know. But I do know that just because they got their article published in a trade mag doesn't make them correct or give them extra validation.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    I'm not contending that we ignore other venues.

As others have said, nuclear power would be just dandy. If, as Obama seems to be contending, the economy needs an infusion of govt. money to create jobs, then he ought to kill two birds with one stone and use the money to fund the construction of nuke plants all over the country.
    The sun comment kind of made it seem like you were suggesting we should.

Also I double checked my facts, the EU, mostly Germany were higher wind producers...in 2005...current data does put the US slightly ahead of Germany.

I actually 100% agree with the nuclear comment. No one is suggesting wind is the only option. In the end it will have to be a collaboration of several options. The bulk load will have to be nuclear fission until/if fusion ever becomes viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Koolaid View Post
    In the end it will have to be a collaboration of several options. The bulk load will have to be nuclear fission until/if fusion ever becomes viable.
    We have a winner. When I was at Siemens they were actually looking at installations that utilized a mix, solar, fuel cells, wind, natural gas, the mix depending on the location. I don't know if they have gone anywhere with that concept since. I would guess not.

I view energy as one of our top national security concerns. Ignoring alternatives is just asking for it.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)