The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-Partisan

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post

the vote is not a term limit,the vote is a referendum.
    .. it is very hard to defeat an incumbent...How many presidents did Ted Kennedy outlast(46 yrs 292 days)..here is a list of Congress members that have served at least 36 yrs

John Dingell, Daniel Inouye, John Conyers, Dave Obey, Charles B. Rangel, Bill Young, Thad Cochran, Pete Stark, and Don Young.With the start of the 112th Congress, Senators Max Baucus, Christopher Dodd, Chuck Grassley, Tom Harkin, and Patrick Leahy

We limit our POTUS to two terms, why cant we do the same with Congress

You can. It just takes an amendment to the Constitution.
    I'm not against them per se, but I just don't think they will address the issues of corruption. In fact, it may accentuate them. You will have more lame ducks, who don't care if they fly in the face of their constituents, and may play right into the hands of corporations and lobbyists who will see that they are comfortable after leaving office. Much like now, except it will occur more often.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Have to agree with Dave ... if there are term limits the lame duck will care even less for the desires of his/her constituents, if that's possible!

OTOH, I also think that 30 years without a job in the private sector removes legislators from the people they represent. Seems like 12 or 15 would be plenty to keep them accountable but not secure for life.

Actually, I think it would be a good thing if eligibility would require 5 years in the private sector ... and proof that they can balance a checkbook! The latter might be some indication that they could also balance a budget?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

IMO - the best route is to not allow any sort of pension accumulation for time spent in elective office along with a 10 year moratorium (with serious consequences if it happens) on lobbying after serving. Easy to police & hard to make pay .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Have to agree with Dave ... if there are term limits the lame duck will care even less for the desires of his/her constituents, if that's possible!

... and proof that they can balance a checkbook! The latter might be some indication that they could also balance a budget?
    Always good to here that Gerry! Its my sanity check. (or your insanity, either way...good to have company once in a while)

I think your second statement above carries lots of weight, if those issues can be brought to light. All the witch crap aside, I think Christine O'Donnell's financial woes hurt her far more than any witch talk. If I remember, she failed to pay tuition and had her diploma withheld, she had mortgage forclosure issues....Makes one think what she could do with a congressional checkbook! These are ties to the common-man that we can all relate to. Or the threat thereof, at least. Most of us know that if we did those things, we would be in trouble, not running for office.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post

OTOH, I also think that 30 years without a job in the private sector removes legislators from the people they represent. Seems like 12 or 15 would be plenty to keep them accountable but not secure for life.

Actually, I think it would be a good thing if eligibility would require 5 years in the private sector ... and proof that they can balance a checkbook! The latter might be some indication that they could also balance a budget?
    Yeah.....or maybe pay their taxes!!

Just sayin'........

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

with the end of the session of Congress it will mark the first time in 60 years that a Kennedy family member will not be in either the House or the Senate...maybe the family stranglehold on American politics is finally over

also the argument about having lame ducks doesnt hold water, there is a reason we dont vote for ALL the members of congress at the same time...its so we will always have an overlap of incumbent experienced legislators in office...the average member in Congress serves 14 yrs, that's two full senate terms plus two yrs or 7 House terms..if you cant get anything done in that time you need to be excused and replaced..

Just so you know I am non partisan on this subject, John McCain needs to be retired, Bernie Rangle needs to be retired, both have been in office way too long
    Last edited by BonMallari; 12-27-2010 at 12:41 AM.
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Yeah Dave, it's all magic.........

RK
    The "magic" was referring to magical thinking that mere term limits will solve the greed and corruption in our government.

We need finance and lobby reform. Anything else is just pi$$ing into the wind.

BTW, Bon's comment on a Kennedy 60 year reign made me think....between the Kennedy dynasty and Bush dynasty, who is the king? Joe Kennedy or Prescott Bush, in terms of their get ? The Bush's haven't held elected office continuously, but held something in Washington DC, be it elected, appointed, or annointed.
    Last edited by dnf777; 12-27-2010 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    The "magic" was referring to magical thinking that mere term limits will solve the greed and corruption in our government.

We need finance and lobby reform. Anything else is just pi$$ing into the wind.
    Well, that's your opinion.

Mine is term limits is a bit of "magic" that well help end the greed and corruption and create campaign finance and lobby reform in and of itself.

Of course you wouldn't even begin to take the time and think it through and understand what my point is.

Your too busy trying to insult the content by calling it "magic."

As though some that same "magic" would create campaign finance and lobby reform from very people who have no term limits and benefit from the existing LACK of campaign finance and lobby greed and corruption.

Thinking that the very people who benefit from what is going on would change it is "pissing into a hurricane."
    Seems like you like wet pants.

Just sayin'.....

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

Thinking that the very people who benefit from what is going on would change it is "pissing into a hurricane."
    Seems like you like wet pants.

RK
    DING DING DING DING!!!!

Now we're talkin!!

Don't get your hackles up. I'm not trying to insult anybody except the chuckleheads in Washington who are raping us daily.

In the absence of true reform, which ain't gonna happen (as you pointed out) I think that term limits actually will work to THEIR greedy benefit, more so than ours. What if by some miracle, a good guy makes it to congress and does the RIGHT thing? The voter's choice to keep him around will be taken away from you.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    DING DING DING DING!!!!

Now we're talkin!!

Don't get your hackles up. I'm not trying to insult anybody except the chuckleheads in Washington who are raping us daily.

In the absence of true reform, which ain't gonna happen (as you pointed out) I think that term limits actually will work to THEIR greedy benefit, more so than ours. What if by some miracle, a good guy makes it to congress and does the RIGHT thing? The voter's choice to keep him around will be taken away from you.
    Example????

RK
    Stan b & Elvis