The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: college tuition

Default college tuition

I thought one of the Presidents goals was, to make it more affordable for kids to attend college Here in Az they are meeting today to raise the tuition at our 3 Major Universities. My daughter attends Northen Az University she's getting her Masters and they want it raised $337 a year she takes 6 credits a semester now which I pay $2000 for plus books and supplies.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Quote Originally Posted by gmhr1 View Post
    I thought one of the Presidents goals was, to make it more affordable for kids to attend college Here in Az they are meeting today to raise the tuition at our 3 Major Universities. My daughter attends Northen Az University she's getting her Masters and they want it raised $337 a year she takes 6 credits a semester now which I pay $2000 for plus books and supplies.
    Only for certain kids.
    Some kids pay nothing and get subsidies.
    You are helping to pay for them and your daughter.

rk
    Stan b & Elvis

Most state university tuition rates are estabished by a state authority of higher education. Is Arizona different, in that they defer to the federal gov't to run their higher education system? I haven't heard of that before, but that certainly doesn't mean is doesn't exist.

The federal government's role in higher education is to secure low interest educational loans. So far, I haven't seen any legislation passed, but I know one of his stated goals was for the federal gov't to loan directly to students, rather than securing loans through commercial banks, who rightfully take a cut of the action, like any middleman would be expected to. To me, a direct educational support loan would make much more sense, and be much more efficient use of limited funds.
    Last edited by dnf777; 03-01-2010 at 01:12 PM.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Sorry Gmhr1, but you didnt come from the correct tribe in your state...its really a shame that you have to pay full fare and some others in your state that are probably less academically inclined or accomplished (best I could come up with to be PC) ride in on yours and the Federal dime
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Sorry Gmhr1, but you didnt come from the correct tribe in your state...its really a shame that you have to pay full fare and some others in your state that are probably less academically inclined or accomplished (best I could come up with to be PC) ride in on yours and the Federal dime
    ...or they strip to pay for school until they can wrongfully accuse someone of rape, ruining the 'offender's' good name in the process and drag it out until Jesse Jackson says he'll pay their way at Duke so they don't have to strip anymore...

BTW, did you guys here that she is being charged with attempted murder now?

I suspect that Penn State parents would love to be in your shoes. The state only pays a small percentage of total costs with parents paying the bulk -- tuition and fees run about $14-15k per student. As I understand it, Arizona plus Federal stimulus funds cover about two thirds of costs at NAU.

When discharged after the Korean conflict I matriculated to this little Engineering school. Tuition was $45 for an average of 19 hours per quarter, instructors were always available & we had more oversight than needed . My $110 per month GI Bill covered that & all my expenses, even had a little beer money . No student loans available.

Some time after that the Feds got involved & student loans became available. Recently I read of a student who had borrowed $43,000 from Sallie Mae to attain an English degree, expects to have to pay $123,000 by the time the loan is paid off. The bad thing about that is job prospects for English majors are not the best, but she still owes the money.

As with many things where the government is involved, it eventually becomes too pricey for the average person to afford.

BTW, our 3 sons who chose to get an advanced education picked fields where there were employment prospects & schools which offered value for the dollar. They also paid for it themselves. I believe it made them more aware of financial considerations when they got into the real world as adults.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!