RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

marking quirk

754 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  paul young 
#1 ·
I've got a 17 wk old blf that we are doing walking singles with, we have slowly worked out to 65 yds. She's showing great drive, running hard all the way out and on the way in untill she gets about 10 yds from me, then she will stop and turn and look at the thrower and watch him untill I call her to me, then she will bring the bumper the rest of the way in. Now if I keep on her with a whistle or the "here" command she wants to look back but she won't. She just started this about 4 days ago, I'm not overly concerned because I think it will iron out on it's on, but I thought I would ask if anybody has seen this before. Thanks.

_______
Jeff

#2 ·
I have. Your pup is only 4 months old, so she is trying to decide if the fun will be over if she returns to you. If she puts it together that the fun will end when she returns to you, she may start parading around with the bumper, because that is much more fun than giving it to you and not getting to do it again. I think she may be looking back to see if the thrower is still out there, because if he is not, then she knows it is over for her.

It appears you have a very good "here" control on her, so that is excellent.

Keep it up and good luck

#4 ·
i go 1 step further with pups; i turn and run away while calling the dog excitedly.

i DO NOT use the "here" command. that has to be taught in formal yard work. i do not want to take the chance of the puppy learning to ignore the FIRST "here" command and learn that it can get away with coming after several, or worse, not at all.

so, i get the pup to chase me. when she "catches" me, i scoop her up and love her up, telling her what a good puppy she is in a high pitched excited voice. typically, the pup will drop the bumper to lick my face. at that point i take the collar tab (you SHOULD have one on her collar, if you don't) and turn the pup for the next mark.

ALWAYS quit before they do!

she sounds like a real nice pup! enjoy this stage of her training. it will get more serious later!this is the FUN stuff!-Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.