The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yogurt for dog on antibiotics

Default Yogurt for dog on antibiotics

Everytime my 4 1/2 year old bitch has been on antibiotics (and it seems as if she's on them more often than not) she has gotten an ear infection from her yeast getting out of control. I've heard that giving the dog a little yogurt can really help with this, but I have never heard how much to give or what type? I just guessed and bought fat free, because I try to keep her trim. Is fat-free the way to go or should I go with something else? How much should I give her and how often?

As always, thanks to everyone for all of your help!

Senior Member Chelsey's Triple H's Avatar

The probiotics in the yogart can help prevent a yeast infection, and I actually give it routinely to my black female for this exact reason (ears). I buy fat-free, plain yogart or low-fat blueberry just to switch it up and give 2-3 teaspoons at meal time.
    Chelsey
    The rescue who started it all...
    "Hailey" USJ SHR Havasu's Hollywood Heartache RE (7 RAE) JH CGC WC (Retired)
    and the youngster
    "Ryder" UUJ HR Nog's Knightly Trek to Hollywood CD RAE SH NAJ THD CGC WC CC

every other morning he gets 2-3 tablespoons of a high quality yogurt (stoneyfarms) are something of equal quality. Add with that half a can of raw pumpkin and egg. He loves it. Never have any problems. I feed him like normal every afternoon. The pumpkin helps with digestion.

Cheers and good luck

Brad Overstreet

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

Antone else having a hard time finding pumpkin? I looked tonight and they were sold out.
    Mike Peters

I can only tell you what our Vet said about using yogurt for one of our dogs that had stomach problems. He said no more than one tablespoon per day with food.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

My last dog that had Parvo the only thing he would eat was yogart. Cup a day per vet for a few weeks but that was a dog recovering from parvo.

Quote Originally Posted by badgerfan1 View Post
    Everytime my 4 1/2 year old bitch has been on antibiotics (and it seems as if she's on them more often than not) she has gotten an ear infection from her yeast getting out of control. I've heard that giving the dog a little yogurt can really help with this, but I have never heard how much to give or what type? I just guessed and bought fat free, because I try to keep her trim. Is fat-free the way to go or should I go with something else? How much should I give her and how often?

As always, thanks to everyone for all of your help!
    Fat free is fine as long as the live Active cultures are there..,. such as Stone Field Yogurt. I give my guys a talbespoon twice a day and they are doing great. Have one currently on Doxycicline with no adverse affects. Have to offset the antibiotics a couple hours from the yogurt to keep one from negating the other...vet can tell you more about that.
    Diane
    Max, Maggie, Houston & (Orion)
    Avatar courtesy of Marsha Wilcox Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Brunelle View Post
    Fat free is fine as long as the live Active cultures are there..,. such as Stone Field Yogurt. I give my guys a talbespoon twice a day and they are doing great. Have one currently on Doxycicline with no adverse affects. Have to offset the antibiotics a couple hours from the yogurt to keep one from negating the other...vet can tell you more about that.
    Diane
    It also helps with gas. Table spoon of yogurt and a tablespoon of pumpkin in every bowl. My dog is doing better since I started that and I don't know why I waited so long to do it.
    Terry Moseley
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peters-labguy23 View Post
    Antone else having a hard time finding pumpkin? I looked tonight and they were sold out.
    Is it Thanksgiving? Just kidding. It's my understanding that there is(was?) a pumpkin shortage during the holidays. Don't have a clue why.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

There is a pumpkin shortage due to the weather. Seriously, One of my petsitting people gave me a case for Christmas-I was thrilled!!!!
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.