The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: South Dakota House Passes HRC 1009!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    The South Dakota House of Representatives passed a resolution urging that instruction in the public schools be balanced between global warming advocates and skeptics. There is nothing shocking about that.

The shocking development in HRC 1009 is what the bill urges global warming instruction in the public schools should include:

Astrology: “the divination of the supposed influences of the stars and planets on human affairs and terrestrial events by their positions and aspects.”

Cosmology: “a branch of metaphysics that deals with the nature of the universe” or “a theory or doctrine describing the natural order of the universe” or “a branch of astronomy that deals with the origin, structure, and space-time relationships of the universe.”

Metaphysics is a branch of philosophy that investigates principles of reality transcending those of any particular science.

Thermology is a medical imaging technique in which an infrared camera is used to generate an image of the body or an area of interest. This technique is noninvasive, and requires no physical contact with the patient. It can be used as a diagnostic tool for a range of medical conditions and can be performed in a hospital, clinic, or doctor's office, as long as the facility has the necessary equipment.

How cool is that? My sister-in-law is in the SD Senate. I was relieved when she told me that she voted against the bill...

I guess this is what happens when a bunch of politicians that don't know shite about science, let alone the english language get involved.
    You're concerned about a resolution? In political speak that's non binding but an indication that there are zealots in the system who are only advancing one theory. I would note to you that the SD educational system makes proper use of their resources in most cases.

When I was back to my 50th I was basically told by a staff member that they knew what was best & were not interested in input from those who were not in the educator's loop . I guarantee that I remember that statement when I receive solicitations. Though I do help the Alumni Association when requested.

[quote=YardleyLabs;578422]
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I grew up in Oak Ridge, TN, 80 miles northeast of where the Scopes Trial was held to try John Scopes for the crime of teaching evolution in his high school class.
    To attempt to compare SD natives with the thumpers from the Bible belt is indicative of your lack of knowledge of REAL people, you need to stay in your own crowd .

About 5-6 years ago the SD politicians placed into law the most restrictive anti-abortion law in the nation. SD being reasonably tolerant, Christian & small it's a fertile place for this type of action.

SD also has a right of petition - when the law was passed, a petition was circulated, secured a place on the ballot & the law was overturned . It said much about the people of the state, if you overstep you will be called to account.

It's apparent you are in your element in PA, but Buzz needs to think of moving, he doesn't like how things happen in SD. I'm sure one of those bright young people from SDSD&T could more than adequately fill his shoes .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    To attempt to compare SD natives with the thumpers from the Bible belt is indicative of your lack of knowledge of REAL people, you need to stay in your own crowd .

If you read my post you would have realized that it was a direct reply to Franco's comment where he said "Traveling south of the Mason Dixon is all the time-travel anyone needs! We're still debating the existence of dynasaurs." since I too grew up in a similar part of the country. I was not commenting on SoDak at all, although in an earlier comment I certainly ridiculed the notion of politicians attempting to define acceptable scientific truths.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    It's apparent you are in your element in PA, but Buzz needs to think of moving, he doesn't like how things happen in SD. I'm sure one of those bright young people from SDSD&T could more than adequately fill his shoes .

If I go anywhere, the company will be going with me. No big deal to the state, we're pretty small potatoes. I would hope it won't be too many years before I can split my time between here and somewhere where I can train dogs in the winter time.

I don't have a lot of concern about a non binding resolution. What concerns me is people who would introduce a resolution and vote to pass it without actually understanding what it says. It also makes me wonder about the quality of debate that took place before a vote.
    Last edited by Buzz; 03-06-2010 at 01:14 PM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    What concerns me is people who would introduce a resolution and vote to pass it without actually understanding what it says. It also makes me wonder about the quality of debate that took place before a vote.
    Hmmm. Sounds familiar. Kinda like the current boondoggle that is being 'discussed' in DC.

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Hmmm. Sounds familiar. Kinda like the current boondoggle that is being 'discussed' in DC.
    If you are you talking about health care reform, I could not agree more. A year of demonizing and right wing talking point (aka, lies) has had its effect on the public (see RNC slides for guidance).

When the pieces of the reform bill are explained to people there is much more support. http://www.kff.org/kaiserpolls/8042.cfm
    and http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010..._bill_pop.html

You are absolutely right, people do need to read and understand what is in this bill before they buy the talking points of either side.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    ...although in an earlier comment I certainly ridiculed the notion of politicians attempting to define acceptable scientific truths.
    Unless it's global warming.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    No, I don't think government should be in the business of dictating what science is taught or practiced with respect to global warming (When did I ever suggest that it should?). I do believe that government needs to make policy judgments based on the best science available to it, recognizing that our scientific understanding of most things evolves over time and is always probabilistic. As I understand it, the best science available suggests that we are facing global climate change attributable in part to human activity.

From a policy perspective, I believe we have a stewardship responsibility with respect to the earth to minimize our negative impact. That includes a responsibility to evaluate our activities to assess the damage they might cause. Obviously we will have an impact no matter what we do, but we can choose how responsible we wish to be. We have known for some time that polluting the air is a bad thing. We have also known for some time that carbon dioxide is a pollutant that, along with sulfur, contributes to acid rain that is killing the Smokies and lakes in New England, among other things. With or without global warming, it needs to be regulated in a manner that forces the producers to pay the true cost of production rather than having free reign to continue polluting.

From a policy perspective, I also believe that we need to begin preparing to address some of the consequences of global climate change that appear more and more inevitable. That includes improving our understanding of how climate change and melting in the north and south are likely to affect both our own geography and that of our allies around the world.

What is wrong from a policy perspective, is to vote for inaction while waiting for a level of proof of harm that can never be matched. The burden of proof, in my mind, rests on those polluting our world. They shuld be called on to mitigate their impact, or prove scientifically that their actions are harmless over the long term.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    No, I don't think government should be in the business of dictating what science is taught or practiced with respect to global warming (When did I ever suggest that it should?). Your previous quote generically suggested that politicians shouldn't determine scientific truths, but you don't seem to be bothered when they accept the scientific "truths" you believe in...such as global warming. This post of yours fleshes out what you meant and makes a lot more sense. Politicians determine on a daily basis what scientific truths to believe (as do the rest of us). I do believe that government needs to make policy judgments based on the best science available to it, recognizing that our scientific understanding of most things evolves over time and is always probabilistic. "As I understand it," the best science "available" "suggests" that we are facing global climate change attributable "in part" to human activity. I put all the qualifers in your above sentence in underlined quotations. That's an awful lot of qualifying. I appreciate your honesty and openmindedness that what we think we know about global warming is not set in concrete. On the other hand, I think it highly imprudent to hamstring our economy and our way of life responding to what may or may not be fact and which we may or may not be able to effect (as your qualifying words indicate).
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

...I put all the qualifers in your above sentence in underlined quotations. That's an awful lot of qualifying. I appreciate your honesty and openmindedness that what we think we know about global warming is not set in concrete. On the other hand, I think it highly imprudent to hamstring our economy and our way of life responding to what may or may not be fact and which we may or may not be able to effect (as your qualifying words indicate).
    The problem is that those same businesses are making their own judgments when they pollute our environment without cost of liability for consequential damages. It was common, and understandable, 100 years ago and even 50 years ago to assume that nature's ability to absorb what man does without long term consequences. There is no excuse for making similar assumptions today. We have learned too much about how easy it is to damage our world. The responsibility for proving safety rests with those seeking to use the air, water or soil as a dumping place for waste or to incorporate the full cost of managing those wastes appropriately in the price of production. That is not being done now. It should be.