The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something I've been trying to say,

Default Something I've been trying to say,

but just not enough of a wordsmith to do so properly. So here's a message that has my appreciation, to the extent I wish I had said it.

UB

The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the presidency. It will be easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to an electorate willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails us. Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The republic can survive a Barack Obama. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president. -- Author Unknown
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

I've been saying for a longtime that, one man, one vote no longer serves the USA.

With the entitlement mentallity, uneducated masses and illegal immigration problem, voters need to qualify in order to have the privilege to vote.

To qualify; voters must pay taxes and pass a basic Civics test given in American(English).
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I've been saying for a longtime that, one man, one vote no longer serves the USA.

With the entitlement mentallity, uneducated masses and illegal immigration problem, voters need to qualify in order to have the privilege to vote.

To qualify; voters must pay taxes and pass a basic Civics test given in American(English).
    I agree but look out!
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Replace every incidence of Barack Obama with George Bush, now you have a great summary of how the other half of the country felt 2000-2008.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

i dislike obama but in all fairness to the people who voted for him we had very little choice,as bad as people think sarah palin was she was the best part of that duo, think how bad he would have lost without her

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post

This is the sad truth. Obomo's election is but another symptom of the DUMBING DOWN OF AMERICA to the lowest common denominator. As our educational system falls further into disarray and we go further into debt, immigrants continue to stream in and illiterates continue to be paid to hatch out babies. The ranks of the bottom rung of society is swelling exponentially while those productive tax paying citizens are decreasing rapidly.

As groups like Acorn harness the voting power of the growing bottom rung, we can expect more of the same. Let me get a word in before the Bush bashing starts ::coughcoughROGERcough::dnf::cough::yardley::cough
    Those who'd like to defend the POTUS as no worse than Bush will never convince me that the company Bush kept, both friends and advisors, the decisions his admin. made, were anything remotely as bad as the Chicago thugs, America-haters and one-world commie symps this president is so enamored of.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    This is the sad truth. Obomo's election is but another symptom of the DUMBING DOWN OF AMERICA to the lowest common denominator. As our educational system falls further into disarray and we go further into debt, immigrants continue to stream in and illiterates continue to be paid to hatch out babies. The ranks of the bottom rung of society is swelling exponentially while those productive tax paying citizens are decreasing rapidly.

As groups like Acorn harness the voting power of the growing bottom rung, we can expect more of the same. Let me get a word in before the Bush bashing starts ::coughcoughROGERcough::dnf::cough::yardley::cough
    Those who'd like to defend the POTUS as no worse than Bush will never convince me that the company Bush kept, both friends and advisors, the decisions his admin. made, were anything remotely as bad as the Chicago thugs, America-haters and one-world commie symps this president is so enamored of.
    I will not defend Obama's cronies, or bash Bush, other than to say that BOTH parties are filled with self-serving individuals who would never have risen to those levels in the first place without flexible morals and the willingness to stab their fellow men in the back. I hope you will not disagree with that.

As for the "dumbing down" of America, I'm sure we will disagree vastly on who's more culpable there! Let's start with joking about being a "C" student, and not being able to form complete sentences. I will not waste bandwidth quoting the numerous Bushisms that make one wonder whether he suffered some congnitive defect prior to becoming president. He actually could reason and debate intelligently at the beginning of his governorship, unlike anything we saw or heard during his presidency.

It also seems that the same people who are so concerned with the dumbing down of America, are the same ones who loathe Obama's student loan and education funding programs, and go so far as wanting to abolish the Dept. of Education, rather than fix its admittedly flawed system, in order to continue to guarantee a quality education for even those children who can't afford one otherwise.

Money spent on educating our youth of today, is the greatest investment we can make in our future.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    It also seems that the same people who are so concerned with the dumbing down of America, are the same ones who loathe Obama's student loan and education funding programs, and go so far as wanting to abolish the Dept. of Education, rather than fix its admittedly flawed system, in order to continue to guarantee a quality education for even those children who can't afford one otherwise.

Properly educating our youth of today, is the greatest investment we can make in our future.

Made a slight change in your post - Money is not the solution, there are more than adequate funds being dispensed toward education.

As for the Department of Education, there is a reason education is a state responsibility, it prevents homogenizing a poor product. The Feds have no business in the process.

As for kids affording an education, where there's a will there's a way. Those of my sons who wanted it, paid for it themselves as I did. & because they were responsible for that education, if they desired one, they were ahead of the curve in being responsible for their own actions .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I will not defend Obama's cronies, or bash Bush, other than to say that BOTH parties are filled with self-serving individuals who would never have risen to those levels in the first place without flexible morals and the willingness to stab their fellow men in the back. I hope you will not disagree with that.

As for the "dumbing down" of America, I'm sure we will disagree vastly on who's more culpable there! Let's start with joking about being a "C" student, and not being able to form complete sentences. I will not waste bandwidth quoting the numerous Bushisms that make one wonder whether he suffered some congnitive defect prior to becoming president. He actually could reason and debate intelligently at the beginning of his governorship, unlike anything we saw or heard during his presidency.
    We can definitely agree that no one party has a monopoly on morally bankrupt individuals. But I can't resist a jab about the part I bolded. Didn't you say in the paragraph right before that you wouldn't bash Bush? You should run for Congress, you'd fit right in. I wasn't a huge Bush fan, and yes he came across as awkward and bumbling when he spoke, but I don't believe he lacked intelligence and more important, he never pretended he was a brilliant thinker, either. Actually, nor do I believe Obomo is stupid...but I won't get into a childish game of stupid things he said. Suffice it to say he's a narcissist that should've been an actor, not a President.

Money spent on educating our youth of today, is the greatest investment we can make in our future.
    While I have said many times I'm concerned that education's been dumbed down too much, I've never made any mention of the proposed goobermint takeover of the student loan program. Marvin already summed up my view that throwing money at education and creating an ever-larger hand-wringing bureaucracy has abundantly proven to be an epic failure. More money is not the answer.

And since you brought up your hero's student loan program: watch for more hopey-changey smoke and mirrors games to sell it when in reality it will prove to be yet ANOTHER trillion dollar swindle of the taxpayers. It's a horrible idea, and I can't believe anyone with an iota of intelligence could think otherwise. Privately I think it's another cornerstone of this administration's agenda to take over the U.S. banking system, but any way you look at it, it's a bad, bad idea.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...157021052.html

And yes, the Dept. of Education should be euthanized to put us out of its misery. Have schools gotten any better since it was created? Nope--they've continued the abysmal downhill slide as the education bureaucracy has grown.
    Last edited by Julie R.; 03-08-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Julie,
    I can't rightly argue with what you and Marvin say. While I do disagree with a few points, much of what you said is not much different from what I said. I fully admit the dept of ed is full of waste and flaws, as I said, but not any more than other gov't agencies, including DoD. The money that Haliburton cannot account for alone would fund many schools. And while throwing money at the problem does not fix it, nor does cutting funding. You guys want a nice house and nice truck? Gotta throw some money at the car dealer, don't you? Very few things that are worth while are free in a capitalist society, but who am I to lecture on capitalism?

Obama is no hero of mine. The last hero of mine who resided in the political arena was Randy "Duke" Cunningham, and he has fallen from grace. Still one helluva F-4 Phantom II pilot, but traded his integrity for greed. Anyway, one thing Obama has proposed that makes a lot of sense, is to cut the middle-man banks out of the gov't funding of higher education. If we're going to spend that money anyway, why not be more direct and more efficient with it? While Marvin may never have accepted a red cent from gov't programs, I'd hazard to say that many, if not most or all on this list have attended a school or university at least in part funded by gov't dollars or received Stafford or Pell grants or low-interest scholarships. I see nothing wrong with that. In fact, I see much RIGHT about helping people better themselves, and put them into a position to repay the society that helped them. I can guarantee you that I have repaid my loans and grants many, many fold over, and will likely never see it back.

As for education being left to the states, that's fine. If you happen to live in certain areas or states, and can't afford private school, you will be at a clear disadvantage.
    No child left behind has demonstrated how an ill-conceived federal plan can backfire, no doubt. I was fortunate to attend public schools in Pa, Ill, and a good part of Texas. When I moved from Illinois to Alabama, however, the counselors said I could jump from 3rd to 6th grade, and still be ahead of my peers. I'm not particularly smart, but the school systems in Alabama at that time were just woefully behind.

All in all, the dept of education has done a reasonable job. Perhaps leaving out the standardized tests, and allowing the states to set their own curriculum would be a proper step? Education does take money. Schools don't grow from seeds. Teachers don't work for free. Books don't grow on trees. One thing that I'm sure we'll agree on is this: No amount of money, schools, books, private or public, will amount to a bowl of kibble if PARENTS don't care, and don't get involved with their kids. When they DO, it can overcome many other shortfalls. THAT, is the problem with our country, and I have no idea how to fix it, outside of my own home!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!