The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Lardy question

Default Lardy question

I am looking to buy Lardy's system. My question is, does his basics cover puppy training or just dogs 6 months or older? The description on his website is rather vague.

They briefly touch on puppy marks. Enough to get started and give u some tips to get a puppy to close the distance enough to finish the retrieve.

TRM covers puppy retrieving and progressing young dogs in marking, intro to water for puppies and some more young dog stuff. TRT begins at about six months.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Thank you. Any other info is greatly appreciated. I've never played the games, but think it might be fun. I have "trained" my dogs in the past, by gosh and by golly. They brought back the birds. Never really made them take a line. I always believed that the quicker they could get the bird back to the blind, the better. If that meant running the bank, I was ok with that. This past season, i hunted over a FT washout. If this dog wasn't good enough, I wanted to see one that was good enough. Later in the season, I got to hunt over a dog tht had competed in FT and was a MH, I made up my mind then, that I wanted to try to train a dog to MH level.

Lardy recommends Sound Beginnings for puppy stuff. Lots of people are using Hillman's puppy DVD but its pretty pricey.
    Daren Galloway

Quote Originally Posted by shinyhead View Post
    Thank you. Any other info is greatly appreciated. I've never played the games, but think it might be fun. I have "trained" my dogs in the past, by gosh and by golly. They brought back the birds. Never really made them take a line. I always believed that the quicker they could get the bird back to the blind, the better. If that meant running the bank, I was ok with that. This past season, i hunted over a FT washout. If this dog wasn't good enough, I wanted to see one that was good enough. Later in the season, I got to hunt over a dog tht had competed in FT and was a MH, I made up my mind then, that I wanted to try to train a dog to MH level.
    Noble aspiration. First tip: get a pup that has the breeding behind it to have the ability to do the work. I watched a pro working dogs on 400 yard blinds. I knew right then I wanted a dog that could do that. The pro evaluated my non-field bred Golden and said, "Taylor is a nice dog, but I think he is a bit laid back to play the games at a very high level." I was kind of insulted, but he was absolutely right. I gave Taylor a few months and it became apparent even to me that he did not have the drive or desire. He's a great pet though and is well loved. I did get a field bred dog. WOW! What a difference, and much more fun.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill